Fix the Falcons: Deion Jones

This is my opinion, not a rumor ok.

Deion Jones needs to be moved, either to safety, or outside rush OLB.... maybe he could play both.   My reasoning:

MLB's typically have shorter careers.    Very very few MLBs are effective after eight or nine seasons.  Jones is about to enter season six.  The time to move Jones, is now... before the wear and tear diminish Jones' speed.  Some here thought Jones actually declined some -last- season.....

Jones at S:  This move would make a ton of sense.  Jones has done his best pass-coverage work in the middle of the field.  We all know how good Jones is in coverage.   Jones has what it takes to bring down even the biggest TEs.   I bet practicing with Pitts would be something to see......

Jones at pass-rush OLB:  Before the 1980 season,  the Falcons transitioned to a 3-4 D.   DefCoord Glanville took a 2nd year smallish LB who had been a UDFA then street FA named Joel Williams, put him at OLB outside the LT... and cut him loose.  The result was 15 sacks in the 1980 season.   That record stood for decades, until  Abraham broke it.   

Jones is a better faster player than Joel was.  Folks say we need another pass rusher, I say we already have one in Jones.  He and Fowler could do some damage....

11 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Not sure about this one

If Jones doesn't buy into it, then it's a non-starter.  Well, maybe.

I don't want to see Jones get broken down like Butkus, Nobis, Cox, Willis..... even Ray Lewis' play dropped off after ten seasons.  Jones has the unique ability to play in coverage... we could use him back there.   Or as a pass rusher, or both.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say playing safety is completely different that MLB.

Jones has spent years seeing and reacting things from a LBs perspective. He has years of muscle memory at the LB position.

I think if you moved him to safety you've gotten rid on one of your strengths and made him a complete liability.

How about we convert Julio Jones to a corner?

Kyle Pitts a DE?

1 minute ago, egoprime II said:

If Jones doesn't buy into it, then it's a non-starter.  Well, maybe.

I don't want to see Jones get broken down like Butkus, Nobis, Cox, Willis..... even Ray Lewis' play dropped off after ten seasons.  Jones has the unique ability to play in coverage... we could use him back there.   Or as a pass rusher, or both.

Just a few things. He still has 4 seasons before that's a concern IF he's even still a Falcon by then. 

Different eras you're comparing. It's hard for me to jump on board without ever seeing him play safety or rush the edge straight up. Could work but I don't know man

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say playing safety is completely different that MLB.

Jones has spent years seeing and reacting things from a LBs perspective. He has years of muscle memory at the LB position.

I think if you moved him to safety you've gotten rid on one of your strengths and made him a complete liability.

How about we convert Julio Jones to a corner?

Kyle Pitts a DE?

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Just a few things. He still has 4 seasons before that's a concern IF he's even still a Falcon by then. 

Different eras you're comparing. It's hard for me to jump on board without ever seeing him play safety or rush the edge straight up. Could work but I don't know man

As a MLB or ILB, Jones will be taking on OGs and OCs.   Like he has already been.   To me that's a waste of Jones speed and talent.  A bigger player in the middle would be more ideal.  

Having Jones play as SS or OLB allows Jones to play 'in space' more, gives him more options to go where he needs to to make a play.   Troy Polomalu was listed as a safety, but really he was a 'rover'.... his coach let Troy do what he wanted, the result was a perennial All Pro player.

I think Jones has that same abilty Polomalu had, to make plays.  Cut him loose, I say....

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Jones isn't big enough to play OLB.  And this isn't 1980.  He would get killed rushing against OTs.  Probably even against TEs.

Jones is already taking on OCs and OGs.   Jones rushing in off the edge would be a nightmare for any OT.

Thanks for posting.  I always respect you opinion.

2 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

As a MLB or ILB, Jones will be taking on OGs and OCs.   Like he has already been.   To me that's a waste of Jones speed and talent.  A bigger player in the middle would be more ideal.  

Having Jones play as SS or OLB allows Jones to play 'in space' more, gives him more options to go where he needs to to make a play.   Troy Polomalu was listed as a safety, but really he was a 'rover'.... his coach let Troy do what he wanted, the result was a perennial All Pro player.

I think Jones has that same abilty Polomalu had, to make plays.  Cut him loose, I say....

It's not the same considering he's not actually battling. He comes through free on blitz plays where hes rarely touched. 

He's good in coverage but that doesn't necessarily mean he can play safety. Troy P and Jones aren't the same types of player. 

If you feel it can work, I'm not knocking it. I just don't see it. 

Debo doesn't need to be moved, he just needs to be consistent. Troy Polomalu had instincts like no other player in history of NFL. Polomalu knew the QB cadence better than any defensive lineman in the NFL. Also, every one believed Jesus would whisper in Troy's ears on the next play before it happened. 

Debo is not Troy and never will be, RB will kill the big guy in the middle with speed. NFL has changed in last 2 decades.

22 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Jones isn't big enough to play OLB.  And this isn't 1980.  He would get killed rushing against OTs.  Probably even against TEs.

Correct. Plus Debo is one of Top 5 MLB in league. 

What Jones needs more than anything is an immovable 1-tech DT in front to keep blockers off of him.

One reason why I wished we had drafted this guy... 

12 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Debo doesn't need to be moved, he just needs to be consistent. Troy Polomalu had instincts like no other player in history of NFL. Polomalu knew the QB cadence better than any defensive lineman in the NFL. Also, every one believed Jesus would whisper in Troy's ears on the next play before it happened. 

Debo is not Troy and never will be, RB will kill the big guy in the middle with speed. NFL has changed in last 2 decades.

You'll never see me argue -against- the greatness of Polomalu.   That dude was epic special.

Jones has the experience and ability to make plays all over the field.   Jones can blitz, cover, catch the ball..... Jones is a big-play player.

Watching Jones at MLB is like watching a thoroughbred pulling a plow thru a field.    I want to see Jones free to make plays.

23 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Troy was average sized for a safety (a little over 200lbs), and played well above his fighting weight.  

Jones is too heavy for safety.  I do not know of any high level safety at Jones weight.  

55 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

This is my opinion, not a rumor ok.

Deion Jones needs to be moved, either to safety, or outside rush OLB.... maybe he could play both.   My reasoning:

MLB's typically have shorter careers.    Very very few MLBs are effective after eight or nine seasons.  Jones is about to enter season six.  The time to move Jones, is now... before the wear and tear diminish Jones' speed.  Some here thought Jones actually declined some -last- season.....

Jones at S:  This move would make a ton of sense.  Jones has done his best pass-coverage work in the middle of the field.  We all know how good Jones is in coverage.   Jones has what it takes to bring down even the biggest TEs.   I bet practicing with Pitts would be something to see......

Jones at pass-rush OLB:  Before the 1980 season,  the Falcons transitioned to a 3-4 D.   DefCoord Glanville took a 2nd year smallish LB who had been a UDFA then street FA named Joel Williams, put him at OLB outside the LT... and cut him loose.  The result was 15 sacks in the 1980 season.   That record stood for decades, until  Abraham broke it.   

Jones is a better faster player than Joel was.  Folks say we need another pass rusher, I say we already have one in Jones.  He and Fowler could do some damage....

Your posts are normally well thought out and on point.  This smells like your forgot to open the garage door while huffing random things.  No offense of course...

Seriously though, I'd rather see Jones play at peak capacity for the rest of his contract than teach that horse new tricks.   Let's see what pees can scheme up before we go crazy.