Your Favorite UDFAs - Picks to make the 53

For some reason my favorite part of the draft is the lower picks / UDFAs... I always love scouting unknowns and seeing the hidden gems.

I think we actually picked up 2, maybe 3 UDFAs who could make the 53: 

- Feleipe Franks QB* - Could develop into a good QB2 or trade bait
- Javian Hawkins RB* - Instant home run threat
- Erroll Thompson ILB* - Hard hitting ILB to counter Deion Jones lightweight coverage style; good against run
- Caleb Huntley RB - Big boi
- JR Pace S - Hometown depth
- Marcus Murphy CB - Could develop into depth

---

How about y'all? Who do you think has a shot? Who do you like? 

Posted (edited)

I had Thompson as a 5th rounder in several mocks so I love that signing. Hope he can be a early down/short yardage thumper for us that we're lacking at LB. Hoping Hawkins can make it onto the roster and/or Huntley. I like both of their upside. Pace is another guy who could provide S depth. As far as the OL go I couldn't tell you but you never know. Couple DL/OLB have a shot. Frank's is a long shot to me but it's possible, maybe on the practice squad.

But Thompson and Hawkins are the best bets I'd say.

Edited by Foo Falcons

Thompson/Huntley/Hawkins I expect to make the roster.  Thompson is a thumper with heart and upgrades our LB depth immediately.  Huntley and Hawkins will be competing with Qadree and TBJ for the 3rd/4th RB slot but I just think their upside will win them that battle.  Unless Ollison really has just been held back by poor coaching thus far.

Franks could do it but McCarron has been a steady back-up for a long time he's gonna really have to earn that job if he wants it

Antonio Nunn is another guy I like. I have him beating out Graham/Blake for the last skill player slot, however unlike the RBs Im not as sure of it.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

Gonna be a name that we don’t expect to step up, and a name we think is a given not make it. Happens every year.

think Hawkins has a better shot than Huntley, mainly because we already have Davis and Ollison...don’t really have a guy like Hawkins (well, TBJ has been lingering around the PS/53)

Yep, I'd say Hawkins and one of the offensive linemen. Maybe the App state kid since we have coaching ties there.

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

Hawkins as the speed/3rd down back is most likely. Huntley possibly but more likely he’ll be on the PS.

Ryan Neuzil, who started 44 straight at App State at LG, appears to have the best shot of the OL due to experience, and ties to the staff. Saw his film and while there is room to improve he’s an excellent fit for the zone scheme with his agility and blocks really well in motion.

Also think about 5 or 6 more make the PS, with a shot to make the roster next year or even be flexed this year. Huntley, the TE from Northwestern (possibly to move to FB?), Trammell (Rice), and a few defenders (especially DL). Joe Sculthorpe (G/C, NC State) also has a chance at at least the practice squad since he was coached by Ledford in 2016-18.

1 hour ago, TXAintsHater said:

Hawkins as the speed/3rd down back is most likely. Huntley possibly but more likely he’ll be on the PS.

Ryan Neuzil, who started 44 straight at App State at LG, appears to have the best shot of the OL due to experience, and ties to the staff. Saw his film and while there is room to improve he’s an excellent fit for the zone scheme with his agility and blocks really well in motion.

I agree with both but would add OG Kion Smith. If he does not make the roster he could be a candidate for the PS. Neuzil would have to overcome his lack of arm length, although  he did play decent vs Javon Kinlaw and the Gamecocks in 2019.

My favorite UDFA pickup wasn't by the Falcons, although it should've been. Shanny picked up Austin Watkins out of UAB. This kid is special. He's got the skills of Roddy and the body and toughness of Anquon Boldin. Falcons missed out on that one. Plus the DNA, cousin of Sammy. 

A surprising number of starting Oline in the NFL are undrafted free agents, like, 30% of them. Dahl and Clabo were UDFAs, so, the kid for App St looks like a good bet. One of the RBs-the smaller change of pace back, can't remember his name. 

Franks, of course, is going to quickly be the backup to Ryan this year, then take over for him in a few years, incredible athlete, just needs to be coached up, we're going to have back to back super bowl winning teams with different starting QBs each year😄

1 hour ago, falconidae said:

A surprising number of starting Oline in the NFL are undrafted free agents, like, 30% of them. Dahl and Clabo were UDFAs, so, the kid for App St looks like a good bet. One of the RBs-the smaller change of pace back, can't remember his name. 

Franks, of course, is going to quickly be the backup to Ryan this year, then take over for him in a few years, incredible athlete, just needs to be coached up, we're going to have back to back super bowl winning teams with different starting QBs each year😄

Very good point about the OL. I didn't think about that.

The COP back you're thinking of is Hawkins.

Also I think folks are sleeping on Franks. I think he could develop.