Hurst’s Fifth Year Option Declined

25 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

How sure are you that TD envisioned him as a star? Could have more so been a stop gap considering not wanting to overpay in free agency and there not being a TE in that slot in the draft worth drafting. Just take a look at his salary compared to the free agents last year. They paid the price to stay cheap

For sure. I don't think anyone had illusions that HH was going to be some next great TE. He's a solid piece, imo. If they wanted a TE, he was a good pickup considering what else was available. 

Honestly, no idea why anyone would be down on him. He plays with energy, scores TDs when given the opportunity, and Matt seemed to be able to find him, even in Dirk's offense. What's not to like from a 3rd-4th option?

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

Doubt they move Julio. If they were planning to this wouldn’t make a lot of sense. $5.5 million is not a cap decision. They likely plan to move on. 

Which suggests too many mouths to feed. 

I have been saying that it’s not a done deal that Julio is gone at all. 

TBH, each passing day they talk it is starting to seem they they plan to win now which would include keeping Jones around.

And I am ok with that. I just don’t want them to move him for fish heads and rice.

Just now, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

TBH, each passing day they talk it is starting to seem they they plan to win now which would include keeping Jones around.

And I am ok with that. I just don’t want them to move him for fish heads and rice.

I think that's the thing -- they'll listen to offers, and if someone offers a future first and maybe a defensive piece, they'd move him.  I think not picking up Hurst's 5th year option for very little money suggests they are not looking to do it though.

I understand it..... doesn't mean that I think it was a good idea.

5.5 million is still cheap for a quality TE who can do what he does.

Maybe he will be resigned though...who knows.

The saints actually declined Mark Ingrahams 5th year option and then ended up resigning him.

56 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

For sure. I don't think anyone had illusions that HH was going to be some next great TE. He's a solid piece, imo. If they wanted a TE, he was a good pickup considering what else was available. 

Honestly, no idea why anyone would be down on him. He plays with energy, scores TDs when given the opportunity, and Matt seemed to be able to find him, even in Dirk's offense. What's not to like from a 3rd-4th option?

There's no real reason to be down on him. It's not every year you get that production for under $2 million. I think it's more so giving up the second rounder. Looking back at the trade, alot of the same people down on him across the web now were most likely down on him then as well. He didn't match Hoopers production so that just added more fuel to the flame

39 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I think that's the thing -- they'll listen to offers, and if someone offers a future first and maybe a defensive piece, they'd move him.  I think not picking up Hurst's 5th year option for very little money suggests they are not looking to do it though.

Just reading between the lines, much like the way they didn’t but did say who they were drafting first, they are leaving the door open for as long as possible and all options on the table. 

Not a bad way to play it.

Hurst has little to no blocking ability and since Smith runs so much 12 personnel sets (two TEs), he could view Hurst as a 'tell' to defenses that we're going to pass if both he and Hurst are on the field. If Hurst was even an average blocker this likely wouldn't be the case. 

I would expect the standard 12 personnel set to be Pitts and Smith rather than Pitts and Hurst.

1 hour ago, thanat0s said:

Here is the thing with that.

He actually underachieved in a Dirk offense.

TE's actually do very well in it, especially guys like him.

I mean Mercedes Lewis got a probowl because of the offense..

Cameron Brats had his best year in it

OJ Howard averaged nearly 17 yards a catch in it ( which is stupid good for a TE)

Even Tony G in his 16th and 17th year in the nfl had pro bowl type numbers under DK...nearly topping 1000 yards in 2012  while sharing the ball the 2 other 1000 yard receivers and 

For all of the talk about AS and the TE...I think Pitts would have monster type year under DK because his offense is so TE friendly.

Hurst did have a good year....it just was not the great year that he could have had.

Hopefully he builds on that and has a good year even in a complimentary role where he can earn himself a good contract...he seems like a good dude who deserves it 

2 hours ago, Precyse said:

That offense we have last year could have got us to the playoffs if not for coaching 

Hindsight. The picks for Julio could have been Cam Jordan, Donta Hightower and Justin Houston 

2 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Really, with Julio not necessarily here for the long term for one reason or another, Calvin became the priority.  No money for Hurst.  Simple really.  Painful, but simple.

cant pay everyone...its always about doing whats best for business 

3 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Hope he makes the most out of every opportunity he gets this season. Good luck. Makes sense though. That would be over $15 million on the books for him and Calvin

Not surprised considering they just drafted Pitts and they are broke!

32 minutes ago, Spongebob said:

Hindsight. The picks for Julio could have been Cam Jordan, Donta Hightower and Justin Houston 

There is no way of knowing what players would be available.

The draft has a butterfly effect.

Just look at Dallas.....the guy that they would hope to pick at 10 was not there so they traded back and eagles picked up Smith.

If Dallas decided to take Smith then  that changes what the eagles do...and then that changes what happens after..

If we go Fields then that throws everything in the top half of the draft off.

3 hours ago, falconsd56 said:

Here is the thing with that.

He actually underachieved in a Dirk offense.

TE's actually do very well in it, especially guys like him.

I mean Mercedes Lewis got a probowl because of the offense..

Cameron Brats had his best year in it

OJ Howard averaged nearly 17 yards a catch in it ( which is stupid good for a TE)

Even Tony G in his 16th and 17th year in the nfl had pro bowl type numbers under DK...nearly topping 1000 yards in 2012  while sharing the ball the 2 other 1000 yard receivers and 

For all of the talk about AS and the TE...I think Pitts would have monster type year under DK because his offense is so TE friendly.

Hurst did have a good year....it just was not the great year that he could have had.

Hopefully he builds on that and has a good year even in a complimentary role where he can earn himself a good contract...he seems like a good dude who deserves it 

It’s all up to him to prove whether he deserves a long-term contract as a starter here or someplace else. IMO, so far he hasn’t. 

5 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

i hope that julio redoes his deal and stays..i wish him and matt would both do it..

5 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

i hope that julio redoes his deal and stays..i wish him and matt would both do it..

I am starting to think that’s a possibility. 

Not sure that is the most likely scenario yet, but we might be headed that way.

7 minutes ago, falconfansince66 said:

Well, at least Hurst has some serious "Motivation" to play at a high level this year.  Just think, in one of those games that we lost, had he caught a TD pass, Pitts would be a Bengal/Dolphin. 

shout out to hurst for doing whats best for the team lol