Peter King Football Morning in America: Atlanta Locked on Pitts

• Goober Pyle changed the title to Peter King Football Morning in America: Atlanta Locked on Pitts

Yessir!   I love my new head coach so far.  Life is too short and opportunities are easily wasted.  2,3 and 5-year plans are great but live today and tomorrow and next week if we're lucky.

Just now, Passprotection said:

“They hired the wrong guys if they thought we were going to lower expectations, take our time, and rebuild,” Smith said. “That’s just not who we are. The expectation is to win now, build for the future, have plans.

10 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

“With Matt, I see a really high-quality starting quarterback who’s thrown for 55,000 yards in this league and had unbelievable experience and is still throwing guys open. It doesn’t sound absurd anymore to say, ‘Hey, I want to play till I’m 40.’ If he didn’t want to play, that would be a different set of problems. We still may not have taken a quarterback at 4 because soon as you take one, if you take the wrong guy, there’s some bad unintended consequences because right away, it’s like, ‘There’s your quarterback of the future.’ And if you take the wrong guy just because you want to win the press conference tonight, it’s like . . .” His voice trailed off.

Most illuminating quote about the QB position since TF has been here.

18 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

This is why we moved on from the previous GM.  

I like that we have new/fresh set of eyes on the roster.    There can be no sacred cows EVER - but even moreso coming off 4-12 season.   I like the fact that the new GM and HC don't have ties to the best players on the roster - Matt/Julio/Grady/Matthews/Debo - at some point over next 5 years, decisions will have to be made on all these guys.   Some like Julio may be this year.     I love Julio - my favorite Falcon of all time.   Matt is a close 2nd - both all-time Falcons and both have a great shot in going into the NFL HOF - not the same is going in the Falcons "ring of honor" .

This ain't show-friends....its show-bidness. 

Wow is this a major crow feast for some.  The OP outlines many posters arguments over the past few months with all these nonsense stir the pot trolling articles about trading Ryan, cutting Ryan next year, claiming Ryan was no longer good, the feverish push to get a QB this year or we would pass on the opportunity of a lifetime, etc.

It never made sense to me to move on from Ryan at this point. His window is still 5 years IMO. We built up the team around him, will continue to do so the next couple of years at which point we can draft a QB in 3 or 4 years high if we aren’t able to develop one in the meantime. Then the new QB will have a real team around him instead of come in the a barren team that puts too much on him and destroys him.

The MR hater trolls look sooooo stupid week in & week out, year in & year out. Because if you’re sane, & don’t see things from a perspective of anger & hatred, it’s so simple.  Every year, new coach’s, new coordinators, new GM’s, and 90% of fans can see that Matt has always been one of the greatest assets to this team & never the problem.

This coach & this GM easily saw it.  He’s playing at a high level. He’s competitive as ****.  He’s healthy, still loves the game & makes those around him better.

The cap situation just solidifies the matter as well.  If MR was any part of the issue... then they’d never have extended him in the first place & just bit the bullet on a new QB.

This wasn’t just the Falcon’s organization, most everyone saw Pitts as the other blue chip player.  I said it early on after I started the Pitts push here.  That if there was one player that our division rivals absolutely do not want us to draft, who would that be?  Easy button... Kyle Pitts.  You can grab the best player in the 2021 draft not named Trevor Lawrence... and we did. They weren’t interested in the 4th best option at QB to sit for a couple years.

We did what was best for the team right now & have KP to plug-n-play all over the field. Not a backup QB sitting & learning behind MR.  That’ll come in due time.

Meanwhile just block out the deranged trolls who are basically undermining the new GM & the fans once again.  They’re clearly the ones who are not in touch with reality & this is another article confirming it. 

7 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

Julio ain't being traded. There's a million other ways to become cap compliant. 

I don't know if Julio WILL or he WON'T be traded.

What I don't like is Fontenot potentially using the salary cap as an EXCUSE to trade the greatest Falcon of all time.    I believe there are legit reasons to trade Julio now - getting older/breaking down/overpaid - but not a good look for Fontenot if he hides behind the salary cap as an excuse.

If Falcons do decide to trade Julio - Fontenot just needs to pay homage to the player and make the move and he can say how this was strategic for the team but just don't make any excuses.  My only criticism so far of Fontenot is how much he is talking about the salary cap.   If the media brings it up, he just needs to change the subject - we all know that Fontenot inherited a salary cap mess - quit talking about it, Terry.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

What I don't like is Fontenot potentially using the salary cap as an EXCUSE to trade the greatest Falcon of all time.    I believe there are legit reasons to trade Julio now - getting older/breaking down/overpaid - but not a good look for Fontenot if he hides behind the salary cap as an excuse.

If Falcons do decide to trade Julio - Fontenot just needs to pay homage to the player and make the move and he can say how this was strategic for the team but just don't make any excuses.  My only criticism so far of Fontenot is how much he is talking about the salary cap.   If the media brings it up, he just needs to change the subject.

In my opinion, salary cap WOULD be the only reason to trade Julio. From every article that came out, the return for Julio would not come close to matching the impact of the player. So the only reason you would trade him is if it were the only way to become cap compliant. Since there are many other ways (namely, restructuring Grady), I just don't see it happening.

If a team wants to offer multiple 1sts -- then I'd do it.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I like that we have new/fresh set of eyes on the roster.    There can be no sacred cows EVER - but even moreso coming off 4-12 season.   I like the fact that the new GM and HC don't have ties to the best players on the roster - Matt/Julio/Grady/Matthews/Debo - at some point over next 5 years, decisions will have to be made on all these guys.   Some like Julio may be this year.     I love Julio - my favorite Falcon of all time.   Matt is a close 2nd - both all-time Falcons and both have a great shot in going into the NFL HOF - not the same is going in the Falcons "ring of honor" .

This ain't show-friends....its show-bidness. 

Here’s the thing. You & I & most everyone else will live in this reality and the here & now.  But there are a few trolls whose mission it is to never get behind Ryan no matter what.  They wanted Ryan gone 4 years ago.  Now they want him gone even despite the fact that ANOTHER set of fresh eyes have evaluated the situation. I’m going to enjoy the new players, get behind the ones we’ve elected to keep, and root for them all until it’s there time to move on.  It never made sense to draft the 4th QB option to sit behind Ryan two years.  

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

If Falcons do decide to trade Julio - Fontenot just needs to pay homage to the player and make the move and he can say how this was strategic for the team but just don't make any excuses.  My only criticism so far of Fontenot is how much he is talking about the salary cap.   If the media brings it up, he just needs to change the subject.

Did Fontenot ever really say that he was looking to trade Julio though?

I read where he said that teams were calling about trading for Julio and that it would be wise for him to listen due to the Falcons cap situation.

Fontenot never said that Julio was actually on the trade market. That was the media speculating more so as if it was certain.

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

In my opinion, salary cap WOULD be the only reason to trade Julio. From every article that came out, the return for Julio would not come close to matching the impact of the player. So the only reason you would trade him is if it were the only way to become cap compliant. Since there are many other ways (namely, restructuring Grady), I just don't see it happening.

This. We don’t have to trade Julio. If we do, it will be because it’s the right deal. 

Just now, Falcanuck said:

no team is offering multiple 1sts for Julio - you know it and I know it.   He's 32yrs old and is just breaking down too much now - doesn't even practice much anymore - that's a problem - especially for a team that would be trading for him and Julio would need to build chemistry w/ the new QB.

I don't know if Falcons will trade Julio or not - but Fontenot wanted it out there - the possibility that he could trade him as the story was fed to three different prominent NFL writers and the local media guy asked TF the next day about it and he didn't knock it down - it was clear the story the day before was a plant by the Falcons org.

4 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Here’s the thing. You & I & most everyone else will live in this reality and the here & now.  But there are a few trolls whose mission it is to never get behind Ryan no matter what.  They wanted Ryan gone 4 years ago.  Now they want him gone even despite the fact that ANOTHER set of fresh eyes have evaluated the situation. I’m going to enjoy the new players, get behind the ones we’ve elected to keep, and root for them all until it’s there time to move on.  It never made sense to draft the 4th QB option to sit behind Ryan two years.  

agreed that it didn't make sense for a new QB to sit for two years.   Had the Falcons drafted one - that wouldn't have been what happened - they would have sat for a year and Fontenot would have likely made moves to rid himself of Ryan in 2022 w/ new drafted QB installed.    Clearly w/ the news that the only QB the Falcons liked enough to take at #4 was Trevor Lawrence - if true and that is what they said - then clearly the plan had been for awhile to either draft Pitts at #4 or trade down - sounds like the trade down option never even got close - given that Fields went #11 and Jones #15 - there wasn't a market in the top 10 for either QB.    Still amazed that Justin lasted to #11 and I believe it will be known in Detroit, Carolina and Denver quickly that they made the wrong move there skipping Fields - we shall see.  Time will tell the tale.

9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Rodgers>Love.  Ill will and no receivers with a QB playing at a high level.  

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Julio isn’t going anywhere imo.

Yeah, w/ the selection of Pitts and the mantra more of "win now" - seems the wrong move to trade Julio.     Might as well run it back w/ Julio and see what this offense can be w/ the "3-headed dragon" of Julio/Ridley/Pitts.

I want to see it - can figure a way to get under the cap and then trade Julio next year.   I believe I would rather have Julio for 2021 than a 2nd rounder - even if you trade him in 2022 for a 3rd rounder and he loses a little value - would rather do that and have Julio in 2021 - just want to see what it looks like with all those weapons.

27 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Wow is this a major crow feast for some.  The OP outlines many posters arguments over the past few months with all these nonsense stir the pot trolling articles about trading Ryan, cutting Ryan next year, claiming Ryan was no longer good, the feverish push to get a QB this year or we would pass on the opportunity of a lifetime, etc.

It never made sense to me to move on from Ryan at this point. His window is still 5 years IMO. We built up the team around him, will continue to do so the next couple of years at which point we can draft a QB in 3 or 4 years high if we aren’t able to develop one in the meantime. Then the new QB will have a real team around him instead of come in the a barren team that puts too much on him and destroys him.

Yep - Smith basically said what a lot of us on TATF have been saying: Ryan still looks great on tape and there's no reason to think he can't go for another 3-5 years. To take a QB at #4 would've been for no other reason than to 'win the press conference' as Smith put it. 

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

no team is offering multiple 1sts for Julio - you know it and I know it.   He's 32yrs old and is just breaking down too much now - doesn't even practice much anymore - that's a problem - especially for a team that would be trading for him and Julio would need to build chemistry w/ the new QB.

I don't know if Falcons will trade Julio or not - but Fontenot wanted it out there - the possibility that he could trade him as the story was fed to three different prominent NFL writers and the local media guy asked TF the next day about it and he didn't knock it down - it was clear the story the day before was a plant by the Falcons org.

I know they aren't. That's why I said he's not being traded.

27 minutes ago, Jesus said:

But Peter, what about an offense with Julio?

Honestly, I think he's saying that  we all  know what the offense would be with 11 on it. This is giving an idea of how it might look without him. 

I  don't expect them to move him this offseason, but I wouldn't be surprised. His cap savings would provide us room to get another piece or two for the defense, potentially, plus a draft pick that I doubt anybody gives us in 2022. He'd have to be a cut.