Be honest. How surprised are you that Takk McKinley was a bust?

Posted (edited)

I remember not being terribly excited when we made the pick.  I was a Charles Harris guy (who went even earlier), but that pick flopped even moreso.  After Takk's rookie season I was very optimistic. 

Edited by autigerfan

Takk was a TERRIBLE pick in a long line of WTH picks made by Falcons in last 15 years. This years draft was the first time we drafted like an actual NFL franchise and not a bunch of frat boys playing fantasy football. I remember when we drafted Takk as he was dancing around the stage with the picture of his grandma, I was like "Who is this clown? Who picked this fool?" 

41 minutes ago, rugger8 said:

Undersized, coming in with an injury,  and kinda crazy... let's say that I was concerned when we got him. 

I just wonder what goes through the minds of DQ and TD when they get freaking Takk Mckinley.  Was it because they thought the Cowboys would take him?  Watt of course goes to the Steelers, a team that actually knows how to draft.  McKinley probably thought the NFL would be real easy for him and the Falcons offense will just carry him to perform.  Never happened. 

lol and watt was on the board..i hope the days we miss out on all pros because why not are over...and no i wasnt suprised due to takk just over all instablity.you did your grandma real proud smh.maybe if she was alive she would have kept him inline enough to give a **** 

3 hours ago, ryanvalz said:

I just wonder what goes through the minds of DQ and TD when they get freaking Takk Mckinley.  Was it because they thought the Cowboys would take him?  Watt of course goes to the Steelers, a team that actually knows how to draft.  McKinley probably thought the NFL would be real easy for him and the Falcons offense will just carry him to perform.  Never happened. 

I honestly think they couldn't tell the difference between someone kind of violent, with tenacious aggressive energy on the field and just plain mentally ill.

21 hours ago, Brehus said:

The sad thing we haven't had a a great DE since John Abraham  seriously TD couldn't draft a DE to save his life

In his defense it's the hardest position to draft after QB. The bust rate is incredibly high for DEs, which is why there are so very few that have a consistent history of success in this league. If we take Beasley, he's widely considered a bust yet has outsacked almost every DE that was picked at around the time he was picked. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2021 at 8:55 PM, Brehus said:

The sad thing we haven't had a a great DE since John Abraham  seriously TD couldn't draft a DE to save his life

DE, CB, OL, pretty much half the positions.

Edited by BLM

21 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

His draft night was not only embarrassing for him but embarrassing to me as a Falcon fan. It was a WTH just happened moment I won't soon forget. I hoped he would do well because I'm a fan of the Falcons but it wasn't a surprise how he turned out. 

I didn't have the greatest feeling about his mental health when he came out on stage with that framed picture of his grandma.

I agree with the people that think he could have been pretty good if he didn't have the injuries.  It seemed whenever it would start to click for him...BOOM...injury. Back to square one.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, autigerfan said:

I remember not being terribly excited when we made the pick.  I was a Charles Harris guy (who went even earlier), but that pick flopped even moreso.  After Takk's rookie season I was very optimistic. 

dont feel bad we all were down bad either lol 

Edited by RoddyWhite84

11 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Drafting DE "Talent" has been the Falcon's Kryptonite for over a decade.  Him busting should have surprised almost no one.  The culture was wrong for him here, he never stood a chance.

yep..idk why its been such a hard time finding good de talent like we are talking years of fail just weird 

Dude went full (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out) in the NFL.. and everyone knows that...  nobody goes full (I used a word here that required my mouth to be washed out). 

On 5/2/2021 at 9:39 PM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I really thought that Thomas Dimitroff hit a home run with Takk McKinley when we drafted him. Most Falcons fans thought he was just what our defense needed. There is no way I could have seen Takk being a let down. Your thoughts?

He was the guy I wanted to AVOID during the draft to be honest. But alas we got him and his draft night made me love the guy. I'm sure he's a person I could root for and as a player he turned it on right before he got hurt. I don't think he's a "bust" I think he's going to be able to play in the NFL as a rotational player, just was overvalued because of our desperate need at DE.  really was more of a 3rd round type guy based on actual production size injury history, but his workouts were eye popping for TD.

Not at all I’m sure somewhere in him is a talented player but the way he came off immediately when he was drafted I though we’ll **** that guy is a real winner and unfortunately he proved me right. We have wasted too many picks and money on DE’s that have not panned out.