Any chance the Falcons bring back Todd Gurley?

33 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

What puzzles me is how you guys were open to bringing Gabriel back after he missed last season and suffered 2 concussions the last full season he played and was not productive but flat out say no to a guy like Gurley. I get it. Speed kills. But shouldn't every washed vet get the same treatment?

Bringing back Gabriel was a dumb idea too

12 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But the thing with that is ....when you plant and go then you need to accelerate quickly.

Gurley was not able to do that with any sort of consistency last year.

Not in DK’s system. In a wide zone he can set his blocks up. It’s a running back friendly system. Gurley’s issue last year was he rarely had big enough holes to run thru. But what did he always try to do? Bounce it wide from lack of holes. He’s used to going wide. So now put him in a system that NATURALLY goes sideways like he wants to do anyway? I didn’t see anything from Gurley last year that said  he couldn’t perform in a wide zone scheme. Plus it could be a play that looks like it was stopped for a short gain and it’s a 7 yard play. Because even tho it’s going wide it’s also flowing up field. 

Just now, TheFatboi said:

Not in DK’s system. In a wide zone he can set his blocks up. It’s a running back friendly system. Gurley’s issue last year was he rarely had big enough holes to run thru. But what did he always try to do? Bounce it wide from lack of holes. He’s used to going wide. So now put him in a system that NATURALLY goes sideways like he wants to do anyway? I didn’t see anything from Gurley last year that said  he couldn’t perform in a wide zone scheme. Plus it could be a play that looks like it was stopped for a short gain and it’s a 7 yard play. Because even tho it’s going wide it’s also flowing up field. 

But even with that ....you still need to be able to accelerate. The wide zone  is rb freindly but even in his last year in LA he showed signs of slowing down.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Todd Gurley told Arthur Smith he'd love to come back. He's still a free agent. I expect the Falcons to bring in another running back at some point. Could Todd Gurley be that guy?

Probably depends on the price. $5 is what he made last year but that’s probably way too high 

14 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

But even with that ....you still need to be able to accelerate. The wide zone  is rb freindly but even in his last year in LA he showed signs of slowing down.

I disagree. I saw him accelerate whenever he has a BIG hole. He’s a patient runner so if he doesn’t have a hole he won’t accelerate. EVERY time he had a real hole he hit it. But that was so few times. Again, he bounced runs outside because the initial hole wasn’t there. He won some of those and he lost some. But it’s always a reason when a running constantly tries to bounce the play outside. There’s no hole. At least not for him. For ito he could fit in those tiny creases. That’s my position. That’s what I played up to semi pro. I KNOW what backs are looking at. I know why he did what he did. Am trust me I’m sure you got mad at Gurley every time he tried to bounce a play wide and lost yards. There’s a reason. There was no hole where the play was designed. We have linemen built for zbs and and dk installed a power system with inside zone and they couldn’t open holes. It’s a reason the entire running game was at the back of the nfl. Not just Gurley. DK has an old school rushing attack that’s slow and lethargic. No creativity. Is he what he used to be?? Not at all. Can he still run in the right system? Absolutely. 

Wouldn’t mind him back for dirt cheap. 

Julio has been spending time with him off the field. Think they were friends before ATL anyway but he’s still hanging around a Falcon. 

OP, do you have a source for him telling Arthur Smith he’d love to be back? 

Gurley just goes to prove how terrible DQ and TD were.  We literally signed and over paid guys NO ONE else wants.  Fowler goes from 10 plus sack guy and then comes to the Falcons practically baiting them to sign him and he looked worse than Chancey Davis.  Gurley goes from a top player back in 2017 to a guy who throws games because he cant fall on his scranny *** before 10 yards of running.  

DQ and TD are pathetic and I can't wait till we get rid of the trash he got on this team, aka, McGary, aka Fowler, aka Julio Jones.  I am only throwing Julio Jones in there because his *** has been missing training camps for years, been holding out for consecutive years and has been injured every FREAKING year. 

3 minutes ago, ryanvalz said:

Gurley just goes to prove how terrible DQ and TD were.  We literally signed and over paid guys NO ONE else wants.  Fowler goes from 10 plus sack guy and then comes to the Falcons practically baiting them to sign him and he looked worse than Chancey Davis.  Gurley goes from a top player back in 2017 to a guy who throws games because he cant fall on his scranny *** before 10 yards of running.  

DQ and TD are pathetic and I can't wait till we get rid of the trash he got on this team, aka, McGary, aka Fowler, aka Julio Jones.  I am only throwing Julio Jones in there because his *** has been missing training camps for years, been holding out for consecutive years and has been injured every FREAKING year. 

What happened in your life that made you such a miserable wretch? Do you live in Macon?

Let's face it, Gurley was brought in for ONE reason, and that was to use his name recognition as a UGA player and hometown hero to put ***** into a stadium strapped with PSL ****.  He was an inducement to get UGA brethren and supporters to come to the games and shell out money for Gurley jerseys.  We could have signed a far less damaged back for less.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Let's face it, Gurley was brought in for ONE reason, and that was to use his name recognition as a UGA player and hometown hero to put ***** into a stadium strapped with PSL ****.  He was an inducement to get UGA brethren and supporters to come to the games and shell out money for Gurley jerseys.  We could have signed a far less damaged back for less.

It's because TD and Quinn always wanted the quick bandaid approach.  Never build any one up, never draft or get players who might actually do something for the team. It was always over pay or over reach for a need position in their eyes. Pathetic and I am glad td will never run a football team again

Edited by ryanvalz

9 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

I disagree. I saw him accelerate whenever he has a BIG hole. He’s a patient runner so if he doesn’t have a hole he won’t accelerate. EVERY time he had a real hole he hit it. But that was so few times. Again, he bounced runs outside because the initial hole wasn’t there. He won some of those and he lost some. But it’s always a reason when a running constantly tries to bounce the play outside. There’s no hole. At least not for him. For ito he could fit in those tiny creases. That’s my position. That’s what I played up to semi pro. I KNOW what backs are looking at. I know why he did what he did. Am trust me I’m sure you got mad at Gurley every time he tried to bounce a play wide and lost yards. There’s a reason. There was no hole where the play was designed. We have linemen built for zbs and and dk installed a power system with inside zone and they couldn’t open holes. It’s a reason the entire running game was at the back of the nfl. Not just Gurley. DK has an old school rushing attack that’s slow and lethargic. No creativity. Is he what he used to be?? Not at all. Can he still run in the right system? Absolutely. 

I had a much longer response typed out which I lost....which is annoying because I made some good points.

A bullet point versions 

DK mixed it up more more frequently then people think

No one is static in their scheme...KS and AS also used power, gap, and man runs.

Hill who is as big as Gurley was atleast average  so the size issue is moot (Fred Taylor also breasted under DK and he was 6'1 and 228)

The Falcons line was top 5 in expected yards to gain.... meaning the way that the play was designed and the way that it was blocked the falcons should have had a top 5 rushing attack.

Finally......I hope that you are well man ...it had been minute since we have went back and forth....I hope that you and your family were able to stay safe during all of this bs.