Any chance the Falcons bring back Todd Gurley?

Gurley won't be suiting up next season. Dude is done, not worth the vet minimum contract when there are a virtual infinite number of younger cheaper, faster backs that don't have the enormous health questions attached to them. 

36 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Sure. It wouldn't kill to see how he plays in a real scheme with Smith. 

Ito and Hill were able to be atleast average nfl players under the same scheme......so it is not the scheme.

15 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Ito and Hill were able to be atleast average nfl players under the same scheme......so it is not the scheme.

Potato, potato. It's the scheme for everything else but Gurley doesn't get that love. That's messed up. Just messed up

Just now, ya_boi_j said:

Potato, potato. It's the scheme for everything else but Gurley doesn't get that love. That's messed up. Just messed up

Well I am one of the few who does not blame the scheme for everything like some do here.

The facts his he had no real burst.

We would see it a play or 2 a game but with no consistency.

Combine that with multiple mental lapses...and I am not even talking about the lions game either.

On a vet minimum deal? Sure  it never hurts to have a camp body.

Just now, falconsd56 said:

Well I am one of the few who does not blame the scheme for everything like some do here.

The facts his he had no real burst.

We would see it a play or 2 a game but with no consistency.

Combine that with multiple mental lapses...and I am not even talking about the lions game either.

On a vet minimum deal? Sure  it never hurts to have a camp body.

Can't please everyone. If they brought him on a team friendly deal, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I'm sure no one would be expecting him to be a starter. 

The reality is he isn't needed. So they can bring him in and give him some burn in the pre season and TC but he isn't needed and wouldn't be the starter if he remained on the roster. 

Why waste the money?  I would rather sign a healthy unknown rookie. So I hope we do not see Gurley 2.0

But as we all know... coaches and GM's rarely take the advise of TATF'ers.

I think there are other players and avenues we will go down.

Great draft though.  😁👍🏈

Posted (edited)

After seeing Beasley and Takk, it's my honest belief that every position group should have a vet playing, or who have played, at the highest level (aka all pro). 

I believe Freeney's impact on Vic was understated. If we bring back Gurley, in more of an RB3 role with two young studs in training getting most of the snaps then I'm good. Even though I think Gurley is younger than Davis, I think he still can be mentored given the heights Gurley achieved and the fact that Davis is really only getting his shot now. 

Edited by ramonezy

What puzzles me is how you guys were open to bringing Gabriel back after he missed last season and suffered 2 concussions the last full season he played and was not productive but flat out say no to a guy like Gurley. I get it. Speed kills. But shouldn't every washed vet get the same treatment?

1 hour ago, ya_boi_j said:

Sure. It wouldn't kill to see how he plays in a real scheme with Smith. 

Exactly. I NEVER liked DK’s running scheme. Turner even looked like he forgot how to run in DK’s system. Gurley would def thrive better in Smith’s wide zone. DK’s system seems better fit for smaller backs. MJD, muscle hamster, ito, Rodgers. They all looked decent because they could fit in his small creases. But in a stretch zone it’s run to daylight plant and GOOOO!!! Any size back can do that with good vision. Gurley thrived in LA in wide zone. Besides what would it hurt? 

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Todd Gurley told Arthur Smith he'd love to come back. He's still a free agent. I expect the Falcons to bring in another running back at some point. Could Todd Gurley be that guy?

TF will have to do a lot of salary cap magic for that to happen

3 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

Exactly. I NEVER liked DK’s running scheme. Turner even looked like he forgot how to run in DK’s system. Gurley would def thrive better in Smith’s wide zone. DK’s system seems better fit for smaller backs. MJD, muscle hamster, ito, Rodgers. They all looked decent because they could fit in his small creases. But in a stretch zone it’s run to daylight plant and GOOOO!!! Any size back can do that with good vision. Gurley thrived in LA in wide zone. Besides what would it hurt? 

It wouldn't hurt at all. He's not going to break the bank. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I sense from this draft/UDFA signings that the new front office does not like having home state players - I am pretty certain we have no Bulldogs or Yellow Jackets around, but do have Koo from Georgia Southern remaining (but coming off his best career year). 

I also do not immediately remember any ex-Georgia High School products on our roster except Grady and Terrell who were drafted by the prior front office and clearly coming off strong years.

The obvious bad side of home state players is that it makes it hard for a HC to not play them or a front office to release them later without negative publicity.

If they sign Gurley, it might be nice if he does come out positive, but if he is so-so or questionable, any attempt to release/replace him would be negative.  He would have to be clearly unfavorable to safely release him without some unhappy fans.

13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

But the thing with that is ....when you plant and go then you need to accelerate quickly.

Gurley was not able to do that with any sort of consistency last year.

20 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

What puzzles me is how you guys were open to bringing Gabriel back after he missed last season and suffered 2 concussions the last full season he played and was not productive but flat out say no to a guy like Gurley. I get it. Speed kills. But shouldn't every washed vet get the same treatment?

Gurley has value as a goal line back if nothing else. His nose for the end zone is still good and he’s not easy to bring down. Can also catch so there’s versatility. He’s not a bell cow anymore but such is life.