There may be better options than this at rb

Apparently the brass think we are fine at RB. I don't think any more money will be spent at the position through free agency, with the addition of Davis, and the under-utilized Ollison to be more of an asset, believe they think we are okay. We had our chances at several RBs through round 2-4 and the team went another route.  We'll see after June 1st though.

6 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Apparently the brass think we are fine at RB. I don't think any more money will be spent at the position through free agency, with the addition of Davis, and the under-utilized Ollison to be more of an asset, believe they think we are okay. We had our chances at several RBs trough round 2-4 and the team went another route.  We'll see after June 1st though.

The major work now is to get under the cap.  Once that's done, the post June 1 cuts will allow us to fill gaps.  I would wager a running back will be considered if the right one is there.  But really, they may feel that if the season started today, we'd make it work.  

9 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Apparently the brass think we are fine at RB. I don't think any more money will be spent at the position through free agency, with the addition of Davis, and the under-utilized Ollison to be more of an asset, believe they think we are okay. We had our chances at several RBs trough round 2-4 and the team went another route.  We'll see after June 1st though.

Maybe so. I’m hoping their plan was Hawkins all along on day 3. Maybe he’ll show out and earn a spot. Looks great on film. I guess ollison is where I’m looking. Hope he’s proves he is the guy to back up Davis, but I’d prefer a guy that has a track record. In 2 years he’s shown he’s only a short yardage Guy and Davis is capable of doing that. 

11 minutes ago, trojandawg said:

Maybe so. I’m hoping their plan was Hawkins all along on day 3. Maybe he’ll show out and earn a spot. Looks great on film. I guess ollison is where I’m looking. Hope he’s proves he is the guy to back up Davis, but I’d prefer a guy that has a track record. In 2 years he’s shown he’s only a short yardage Guy and Davis is capable of doing that. 

I think Hawkins was always an intended target.  I think they were happy to get him as an UDFA. I'd wager we still do something with RB.  I'd like Ollison to find his groove 

I don't know how much the FO thinks that we're fine at RB. It may just be that, as he said he would, he took the highest player on his board each time, each round, and a RB was never where the value was, based on their evaluations.

There could've just always been someone rated higher on their boards. This wasn't exactly a deep or great class of RBs, and most of the ones taken you could at least make an argument were overdrafted at their spots.

11 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I don't know how much the FO thinks that we're fine at RB. It may just be that, as he said he would, he took the highest player on his board each time, each round, and a RB was never where the value was, based on their evaluations.

There could've just always been someone rated higher on their boards. This wasn't exactly a deep or great class of RBs, and most of the ones taken you could at least make an argument were overdrafted at their spots.

With the mini run on RBs in the seventh, I'd wager we'd have taken a Kylin Hill in the seventh.  We ran out of picks.

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

And Patterson, who has seen his RB snaps increase every year

We definitely need more in the RB room, like a potential starter quality guy.

Just have to assume the guys they took they thought would help us more/were better players at those picks.

I'm sure if they were able to go back, knowing who was going to fall to later rounds, they would have taken RB somewhere in there.  But you have to live the draft forward.

1 hour ago, Herr Doktor said:

The major work now is to get under the cap.  Once that's done, the post June 1 cuts will allow us to fill gaps.  I would wager a running back will be considered if the right one is there.  But really, they may feel that if the season started today, we'd make it work.  

I certainly see a veteran signing in our future. I don't see anyone else on the roster being able to carry the load if Davis were out. Unless they really see Patterson as a running back. Which seems unlikely. 

I think with Davis and Hawkins and whoever else we keep, we will do just fine.  It seems AS is focused on the OL and making it a superb unit. A line that can protect Ryan but also open lanes for any of our RB’s to run through (mentioned this yesterday).

our offense is going to be legit going forward.

can’t wait!

Posted (edited)

I don’t understand why we cannot get a decent young rb. When it’s clearly a need and they are supposed to be plentiful. We have 2 30 year old rbs. One is a converted wr and a slow practice squad rb. Hopefully the undrafted guy is legit 

Edited by Bobby Biskie
35 minutes ago, Bobby Biskie said:

I don’t understand why we cannot get a decent young rb. When it’s clearly a need and they are supposed to be plentiful. We have 2 30 year old rbs. One is a converted wr and a slow practice squad rb. Hopefully the undrafted guy is legit 

Whose the other 30 yr old RB?

2 hours ago, iDash said:

Chris Simms Top 5 RBs in 2021 draft...@ 6:22!

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/nfl-draft-2021-chris-simms-top-5-running-back-rankings

PS- Coach Smith's 3rd RB from Titans from last year is still avail, D'onta Foreman 236lbs.

Seattle had him in for a tryout 5 days ago!

I brought up him specifically in a post a few days ago. Would love to bring him in

3 hours ago, trojandawg said:

I've got nothing wrong with a guy earning a spot...competition is a good thing.

RB is still a big question mark for me.  I like Davis a lot but I didn’t expect him to be our starter and at this point it’s looking like he will be.  Looking forward to seeing more of  Ollison as well, if that’s the plan.

While I like Grant and understand that we traded back in the 2nd cause we felt we could do so and still get Grant I was pretty pissed at the time because the Broncos took my 2nd rated RB, Williams.  I wanted Najee but knew that was not likely to happen but with Williams on the board and we don’t pick him... I was cussing for a few.  

5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think Hawkins was always an intended target.  I think they were happy to get him as an UDFA. I'd wager we still do something with RB.  I'd like Ollison to find his groove 

Quinn made an odd comment about Ollison when asked if they will get him in the game plan.  Quinn said something like "He needs to make a place for himself in the game plan and he has not done that yet".  I said to myself, "Huh?".  Did Ollison never run over someone in practice?  Did he never push the line and get yards?  He never showed any value at all?  I have no inside info, but I began wondering if there was a personal issue keeping Ollison out.

14 minutes ago, NorthGaBoy said:

Quinn made an odd comment about Ollison when asked if they will get him in the game plan.  Quinn said something like "He needs to make a place for himself in the game plan and he has not done that yet".  I said to myself, "Huh?".  Did Ollison never run over someone in practice?  Did he never push the line and get yards?  He never showed any value at all?  I have no inside info, but I began wondering if there was a personal issue keeping Ollison out.

Yeah, I think there was beef somewhere.  Ollison had issues holding on to the rock though.  And apparently, he did not earn his play time.  Same with Senat.  Another guy who just did not light it up in practice.  honestly, I think Quinn was loyal to a fault and played his boys whether they made plays or not.  He was also pretty sure at that time after 0-5 that his *** was done and they were all playing for jobs next year, so he had no incentive to play anyone for the future as he and the coaching staff were going to be axed anyway.