Feleipe Franks Interesting UDFA

1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

I swear man... I just told you what role I wanted him to play. Not a starting QB but an insane gadget player.  Yes, I think Hill is very good at that particular skill set and I believe Franks can be too...

I didn’t say anything about being a starter did I? Taysom plays WR, return kicks, plays special teams. Franks has never been that type of player. He isn’t going to be gunner on special teams like Taysom is. He isn’t the runner that Taysom is. He doesn’t have the same skill set that Taysom has

6 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I didn’t say anything about being a starter did I? Taysom plays WR, return kicks, plays special teams. Franks has never been that type of player. He isn’t going to be gunner on special teams like Taysom is. He isn’t the runner that Taysom is. He doesn’t have the same skill set that Taysom has

Nor had Hill been up to that point. 

1 minute ago, gHost83 said:

Nor had Hill been up to that point. 

Actually that’s wrong. Taysom was used like that at BYU before he became a starter. He so athletic that the BYU coaching staff had to get him on the field. He had special packages his freshman year where he just ran the ball. Payton mentioned that once 

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Actually that’s wrong. Taysom was used like that at BYU before he became a starter. He so athletic that the BYU coaching staff had to get him on the field. He had special packages his freshman year where he just ran the ball. Payton mentioned that once 

Right. He had 3 punt returns attempts in 4 years, zero receiving yards but rushed for a ton. 

So he later developed into a pass catching threat after becoming a pro. 

I'm not saying it's probable but it totally is possible Smith can design some scheme specific packages for Franks. I don't want a carbon copy of Hill.  Franks actually can throw accurately. I just want people to get it into their heads that thinking outside the box can actually be beneficial...

There is no downside with the Franks signing. He’s got a big time toolbox. The Arkansas tape shows a guy with a big arm and who is mobile. It also shows a slow release and inconsistent mechanics. It’s less than 50-50, but QBs have been known to develop once they get to the NFL. If he sits and learns, cleans up the mechanics - you might have something. I know this - he’s a better prospect then Benkert was. 

1 hour ago, Redjack said:

Well this is just kinda silly to be honest.

There are plenty of things to criticize and make fun of Mullen for, you don’t have to call the one thing he’s legit great at “overrated” just to be a contrarian.

It’s my opinion. He’s overrated af. He made Tebow look good in college woop dee doo.

2 hours ago, gHost83 said:

Bruh... Nobody is looking for Franks to take the reigns from Ryan. I'm saying use the kid like a gadget player just how Hill was used.  We couldn't stop those **** gadget plays that the Saints ran with him to save our lives...

**** even Joe Brady deploys a similar package Webb. It's not a out of the world concept...

I'll post this here because I know nobody saw the guy play last year...

I live in Arkansas I watched.

2 hours ago, gHost83 said:

But he was good last year with no named WRs.  Why should previous years matter? He's in the same conference putting up numbers.

Arkansas had Treylon Burks who is probably a first round pick next year, and Mike Woods who just transferred to Oklahoma so there were some talented receivers but yeah, not the pure volume of good WRs that Florida puts out.

I do think people overlook the quietly good season he had last year and wrote him off from his Florida days. He probably should have done better than he did at UF but even then, his last full season as a starter there he had like 24 touchdowns to 6 interceptions which isn’t horrible.

The only real issue I had with Franks last year was his pocket presence. He refused to throw the ball away and took awful sacks because he kept trying to keep the play alive and break every tackle while awkwardly running around. He has a beautiful deep ball though and did a good job of taking care of the ball for the most part. With a good OL and running game that he can play action off of I think he can be a decent backup for a while.

This is a huge pick up! I’m super excited. I started a thread a while ago about Franks. Didn’t really understand why he wasn’t getting the attention but glad it worked out this way. 

When it’s all said and done I believe Franks will be top 5 QB from this draft. Many people who criticize only focused on his time at FL or hasn’t even watched a full game. He’s special!

He joined a terrible team and flashed greatness. Cant wait to see how this coaching staff develops him. 

1 hour ago, Gohogs14 said:

Arkansas had Treylon Burks who is probably a first round pick next year, and Mike Woods who just transferred to Oklahoma so there were some talented receivers but yeah, not the pure volume of good WRs that Florida puts out.

I do think people overlook the quietly good season he had last year and wrote him off from his Florida days. He probably should have done better than he did at UF but even then, his last full season as a starter there he had like 24 touchdowns to 6 interceptions which isn’t horrible.

The only real issue I had with Franks last year was his pocket presence. He refused to throw the ball away and took awful sacks because he kept trying to keep the play alive and break every tackle while awkwardly running around. He has a beautiful deep ball though and did a good job of taking care of the ball for the most part. With a good OL and running game that he can play action off of I think he can be a decent backup for a while.

Thank you for the insight.  I didn't watch every single Arkansas game.  Good to have an honest opinion from a fan of that team...

Very happy to see us get our hands on Franks!  Just like any QB it all begins with his natural, God given gifts.

After that it becomes more about other things such as your desire & how hard you’re willing to work to become better.

There are other things that you cannot control.  The team you go to.  The coaches & scheme on that team.  The players around you that are in place or who they’re drafting.

Franks has very similar physical skills to Lawrence.  Both are 6’6” & roughly the same size/speed ratio.  One has refined his mental processing & passing skills more & may have benefitted from being around better teachers or guidance in his early career, but I think the tools are there to excel in the next few years.  Especially being around Matt Ryan.  That is a blessing.

It could potentially end up being one of the great NFL stories, but the writing of that story is only in chapter one.  Wouldn’t it be heartwarming to see it play out in a positive way for us & this franchise we all love?  

9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Very happy to see us get our hands on Franks!  Just like any QB it all begins with his natural, God given gifts.

After that it becomes more about other things such as your desire & how hard you’re willing to work to become better.

There are other things that you cannot control.  The team you go to.  The coaches & scheme on that team.  The players around you that are in place or who they’re drafting.

Franks has very similar physical skills to Lawrence.  Both are 6’6” & roughly the same size/speed ratio.  One has refined his mental processing & passing skills more & may have benefitted from being around better teachers or guidance in his early career, but I think the tools are there to excel in the next few years.  Especially being around Matt Ryan.  That is a blessing.

It could potentially end up being one of the great NFL stories, but the writing of that story is only in chapter one.  Wouldn’t it be heartwarming to see it play out in a positive way for us & this franchise Sr all love?  

Franks was at UF. Trask didn’t have any issues there. Franks was his own worst enemy at UF.

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Franks was at UF. Trask didn’t have any issues there. Franks was his own worst enemy at UF.

I’m fully aware of those facts.

I choose to see things in a more positive manner by dwelling on his most recent success in Arkansas.

You cannot define a man’s future for him because you’ve chosen to write him off based upon his most difficult & most disappointing body of work which included a devastating injury.  He overcame that situation & showed some real future potential at Arkansas who gave him a chance.

Now as a UDFA in Atlanta he costs us very little & yet has potential to be much more.

He fits the mold of a trend I saw in the draft, lots of upside. I also saw the DBs we took attack the ball in the air and gets picks. Seems this was never important in many previous regimes.  With how Pees uses his front 7 with disguised coverages creating confusion, there are opportunities for ball hawks.