Falcons Roster Build

I have 3 lists below of the players we signed.  Some were Falcon FAs that we expected to get signed.  More than half of the FAs signed came from other teams.  Some, of course, are draftees.  We signed 13 players on offense and 14 players on defense.  We also resigned Younghoe Koo as our kicker and Dom Maggio as our punter on special teams.  If I have a conclusion at this early stage it is that the Falcons did a lot of analysis.  I know, they were expected to do that.  But, they appear to have actually done it.  I am so happy.

The one surprise to me was the timing of the signing of A.J. McCarron.  Coincidence?  Probably.  Were we looking at a QB on day 2 of the draft?  I don't know.

I have also broken this down by teams.

I have some thoughts on how this played out, but I am going to hold those for now.  I want to read what you think after you look at the lists.  Look beyond the teams to the positions.  We signed 4 additional TEs.  We signed 4 CBs and 3 safeties. 

Give me your takes on this. 

image.png.9e98fb069e18a233a908923b353e3247.pngimage.png.a3b31e8cb4c31e195fb64ed349842014.pngimage.png.ea30f44f12f4da7ed511f0bd7ac9d4a2.png

Timing of the McCarron signing does seem draft-related. Probably weighed their options and decided he was better than the day 2 (or 3) QB they were considering (vs the other players they wanted instead). 

Definitely cements that the plan is for Ryan to be the starter for version 1.0 of the AS/TF regime (i.e., thru 2023 at least). 

7 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Timing of the McCarron signing does seem draft-related. Probably weighed their options and decided he was better than the day 2 (or 3) QB they were considering (vs the other players they wanted instead). 

Definitely cements that the plan is for Ryan to be the starter for version 1.0 of the AS/TF regime (i.e., thru 2023 at least). 

McCarron is basically Schaub 2.0.  He will not embarrass himself if pressed into duty but if he has to start more than 3 games this year for us our season is toast.  I liked the idea of taking a developmental backup in the 3rd-4th round but the guys I liked the most (Trask, Mills) got scooped up.  I agree that the timing of the McCarron signing was likely due to not to tip their hands as to where they might go with the pick at #4.  

9 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

McCarron is basically Schaub 2.0.  He will not embarrass himself if pressed into duty but if he has to start more than 3 games this year for us our season is toast. 

My mom loves the saying that "overnight guests are like seafood, after three days, they both stink." 

Your apt description of Schaub/McCarron seems very similar - after 3 games, the team will stink. 🤣

The biggest difference I see from the TF and TD regimes are that TF has placed an emphasis on building depth and creating competition whereas TD seemed to zero in on a player or position rather than letting the draft come to him.  Whereas TD seemed to do a good job of finding the franchise altering players like Ryan, Jones, etc. we had issues with roster depth during his time here. At first blush, that doesn't seem to be an issue for us now.  

21 minutes ago, autigerfan said:

The biggest difference I see from the TF and TD regimes are that TF has placed an emphasis on building depth and creating competition whereas TD seemed to zero in on a player or position rather than letting the draft come to him.  Whereas TD seemed to do a good job of finding the franchise altering players like Ryan, Jones, etc. we had issues with roster depth during his time here. At first blush, that doesn't seem to be an issue for us now.  

Yeah and including the UDFAs we picked up, there's going to be some serious competition in areas we knew we were weak in (RT, LG, C, DBs, even edge and DT a little). This is going to be fun to watch. Now can we get them on the practice field is the only question.

Au Tiger nailed it.

The sport is so intense with so many injuries that depth is key.

If you look at the Saints record since TF was put in charge of Pro Scouting 8 years ago, they have only had 2 losing seasons and even those were close to .500.

Hard to know until we see the results but it looks like from the draft, free agent signings, and UDFAs that we upgraded our entire Management team.

Now, can you imagine if Terry came into a situation with a healthy cap situation?

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Go look at any prospect ranking list and you will see them.

Those don't mean anything to the Atlanta draft board. And if you can't name one you feel that strongly about, it doesn't bother you much.

Join the love train. After months of QB after QB thread, it's fun over here.

46 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

The whole team building process has been interesting.  I'm oddly positive, **** near excited for the season.  I haven't been in years.  

I'm always a cautious optimist when it comes to our team.  We had a very talented corps during the TD regime that gave us an opportunity to be successful that we never capitalized on.  Now I'm more hopeful that we will have a complete team for Ryan's twilight years.  Coaching will play a huge role in determining if we are successful this time around.