Are we watching an identify form?

4 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Remember, Pees likes to scheme sacks. I agree we aren’t breaking any records and are at least another offseason away personnel-wise, but don’t be surprised if we are a much improved pressure team this season. We’re gonna be blitzing like crazy. 

Right here.  I think by default we are a more sound team.

2 minutes ago, RYNE said:

I find it interesting that we get a defensive coordinator and majority of you believe our historic defensive problems will magically go away. 

We have personnel problems on defense, but coaching matters. 

I think we just didn’t have the EDGE guys we wanted at our pick and had there been a Garrett/Chase Young type of pick we would’ve taken it. 

Hopefully we re-visit that position next offseason cause if not, we may be in for some 2015-2016 Saints type years with high scoring and record breaking my bad defense. 

4 hours ago, falcndave said:

I think most people just mean "balance and ball control" then they say "ground and pound." The outside zone scheme is not an in your face, down hill, approach. It does give you the expectation of 3 yards on every snap with the opportunity to rip the D on any given attempt. 

Oh yes. The ole Woody Hayes "three yards and a cloud of dust" approach. NOPE!

2 hours ago, Brewcrew said:

I think Pees will find ways to apply pressure from places other than just the d-line, which went against DQs philosophy (despite never having an adequate d-line to run his defense).  We’ll see if that plays out. 

This x 10000

Pees has basically said this over & over... that EVERYONE will have to be able to blitz because he plans on bringing it from all over in order to keep opposing QBs guessing. So unlike previous years where it was 95% all on the shoulders of guys like Beasley, Takk, and occasionally Grady to get pressure, it seems like it will be more of a team effort than a one or two player/position responsibility.

I'm also aware of Fowler not consistently showing enough in the NFL at this point to be counted on too much, but I do think last year was a very humbling experience for him. He has the tools, and has produced well before, so hopefully he's able to maximize his potential under Pees.

22 minutes ago, k-train said:

This x 10000

Pees has basically said this over & over... that EVERYONE will have to be able to blitz because he plans on bringing it from all over in order to keep opposing QBs guessing. So unlike previous years where it was 95% all on the shoulders of guys like Beasley, Takk, and occasionally Grady to get pressure, it seems like it will be more of a team effort than a one or two player/position responsibility.

I'm also aware of Fowler not consistently showing enough in the NFL at this point to be counted on too much, but I do think last year was a very humbling experience for him. He has the tools, and has produced well before, so hopefully he's able to maximize his potential under Pees.

I think Fowler knows his career and his legacy are on the line this year. Dude straighter took a pay cut and the only way he does get paid is by producing. I tip my hat to the man and hope he balls out for pees and smith. I wanted Fowler so bad instead of Beasley that I hope this dude atleast has one good season for us lol

3 hours ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Yeah, it's called we gotcha 40 homie. Hide ya corners, hide ya safeties, hide ya water boy too cause we dropping 40 on everybody round here.

This post is fantastic and deserves more love! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqa0uncoBOaSB5Oppp4ii

6 hours ago, Thiccolas Cage said:

We've gotta see what the D looks like with better coaching and the FA and draft acquisitions.

This is what i have been saying...assuming the same roster as last year this coaching staff would have had better results. 

9 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

This is what i have been saying...assuming the same roster as last year this coaching staff would have had better results. 

We also basically have an extra 2nd rounder with Davidson in the mix. I’m calling 2020 a redshirt year for him, he had some bad luck.

6 hours ago, falcndave said:

Many will question the lack of edge help through four rounds of the 2021 draft. It is certainly a position I'm concerned about. That said, if you put together what we know about the new regime from their resumes and what they have said since arriving, I think it is clear what they would like the identity of the team to be. They want to control the ball with balance on offense and attack on defense with strong rangy closers over the top in the secondary. I think they know an occasional game will evolve into a shootout when facing teams with efficient QBs and patient play calling. They have enough firepower to answer when that does happen. That said, given their "drathers," I think they would be content to win 24-17 every week and leave the opponents with that queasy feeling that comes from getting punched in the face, then rumbled over. 

To those worried about the D. I think what I'm seeing is a team that is going to play for occasional stops through splash plays on defense and smother you while controlling clock on offense. 

I'd prefer to see more balance in the trenches. That said, I'd rather have a clear strength that sets the team's identity than be "okay" everywhere. Once you establish who you are, you can back fill as the salary cap situation improves. Depth at your strength allows you to spend for FAs on the other side of the ball down the road. Don't be surprised to see a scheme fit RB added at some point. 

One thing I think I like so far? I don't think they will be "settling" for OL this year. I think they will probably even be in a position expose some to other teams before final roster cutdowns. They may not be day one stars, but I think they clearly have some good scheme fits all across the line. 

Nice observation. I believe our strengths and our weaknesses got stronger this weekend. 

11 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

We also basically have an extra 2nd rounder with Davidson in the mix. I’m calling 2020 a redshirt year for him, he had some bad luck.

It will also be interesting to see what the new staff does with people like ollison, cominsky, etc....even guys like oliver or sheff. The parting of the clouds with some of these up and down or players that didnt get many chances for whatever reason is going to be really interesting imo

10 minutes ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

It will also be interesting to see what the new staff does with people like ollison, cominsky, etc....even guys like oliver or sheff. The parting of the clouds with some of these up and down or players that didnt get many chances for whatever reason is going to be really interesting imo

Indeed. Will be a nice bonus if a few of those guys can take a step. Really hopefully that Davidson or Cominsky step up.

17 minutes ago, Sui_Generis said:

New coaching staff. Influx of players. Different ideas. All that is a great combo for a whole lotta change. 

I know people only see talent as the key, but it takes coaching as well. This year will be telling. 

And I for one am excited as ****.

The 2020 Atlanta Falcons were a team that had grown stale and lost its way. Throw in the growing desperation of the FO and coaching staff and you have a recipe for 4-12 and massive changes.

This team had become painful to watch play football every week. Having Smith and Pees in charge is going to make them exciting to watch and cheer for again. I'm hoping this is the start of a new era for the Falcons, the same way the Saints got things in high gear after those three 7-9 seasons.

2 hours ago, k-train said:

This x 10000

He’s going to have to as you’ve described because we are pretty much going with what we did in FA.For me experience and the type of player in the scheme has to make the difference if it doesn’t the defense is toast.

What would be nice if guys like Davidson Fowler and Cominsky and alike come out of the shadows.I mean they have JTM as an example training as a OLBer in the off season I saw that’s what intrigues me about a guy like Pees in how he’ll use a guy like the mentioned.

I have no doubt they have gone through who what and how.

Interesting days ahead.

5 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Someone’s mad he had to move the goalpost 

Goalposts?

6th best run D?

They win 4 games and had the 3rd worst defense in the league.

You and I know that is a misleading stat and the run defense didn’t matter and will be nothing like that next year. 

“oh let’s look at the prettiest piece of garbage”

3 hours ago, octoslash said:

You werent going to fix the defense in this draft.  You weren't even going to improve it much.  Period.

I feel good having a front office that seems to realize it.

Yep, most fans wont admit it.. But this draft was basically a foundation for a rebuild probably coming after next season.. Imo, this season is basically a throw away season.. We should be able to pick in the top 5 next draft and start to see the true vision smith and TF has for this team

19 hours ago, falcndave said:

Many will question the lack of edge help through four rounds of the 2021 draft. It is certainly a position I'm concerned about. That said, if you put together what we know about the new regime from their resumes and what they have said since arriving, I think it is clear what they would like the identity of the team to be. They want to control the ball with balance on offense and attack on defense with strong rangy closers over the top in the secondary. I think they know an occasional game will evolve into a shootout when facing teams with efficient QBs and patient play calling. They have enough firepower to answer when that does happen. That said, given their "drathers," I think they would be content to win 24-17 every week and leave the opponents with that queasy feeling that comes from getting punched in the face, then rumbled over. 

To those worried about the D. I think what I'm seeing is a team that is going to play for occasional stops through splash plays on defense and smother you while controlling clock on offense. 

I'd prefer to see more balance in the trenches. That said, I'd rather have a clear strength that sets the team's identity than be "okay" everywhere. Once you establish who you are, you can back fill as the salary cap situation improves. Depth at your strength allows you to spend for FAs on the other side of the ball down the road. Don't be surprised to see a scheme fit RB added at some point. 

One thing I think I like so far? I don't think they will be "settling" for OL this year. I think they will probably even be in a position expose some to other teams before final roster cutdowns. They may not be day one stars, but I think they clearly have some good scheme fits all across the line. 

I think the dline talent was underwhelming this year.  There are guys that can fit a role but not the stud all-around players that you normally can find hence why we didn't got dline heavy.  We played to the drafts strengths with our S, and OL picks.  I'm a little surprised we didn't add a RB, but they must like who we have on the roster.  

19 hours ago, falcndave said:

identity..a word i havent seen used around here in a long time 

16 hours ago, RYNE said:

I find it interesting that we get a defensive coordinator and majority of you believe our historic defensive problems will magically go away. 

I think we still have issues.  Perhaps, maybe, our scheme may fit personnel we have better.  I think that's where the more positive vibes are coming from.  I think the DLine is priority one next draft.