Are we watching an identify form?

Many will question the lack of edge help through four rounds of the 2021 draft. It is certainly a position I'm concerned about. That said, if you put together what we know about the new regime from their resumes and what they have said since arriving, I think it is clear what they would like the identity of the team to be. They want to control the ball with balance on offense and attack on defense with strong rangy closers over the top in the secondary. I think they know an occasional game will evolve into a shootout when facing teams with efficient QBs and patient play calling. They have enough firepower to answer when that does happen. That said, given their "drathers," I think they would be content to win 24-17 every week and leave the opponents with that queasy feeling that comes from getting punched in the face, then rumbled over. 

To those worried about the D. I think what I'm seeing is a team that is going to play for occasional stops through splash plays on defense and smother you while controlling clock on offense. 

I'd prefer to see more balance in the trenches. That said, I'd rather have a clear strength that sets the team's identity than be "okay" everywhere. Once you establish who you are, you can back fill as the salary cap situation improves. Depth at your strength allows you to spend for FAs on the other side of the ball down the road. Don't be surprised to see a scheme fit RB added at some point. 

One thing I think I like so far? I don't think they will be "settling" for OL this year. I think they will probably even be in a position expose some to other teams before final roster cutdowns. They may not be day one stars, but I think they clearly have some good scheme fits all across the line. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

The draft picks don’t sound ground and pound. Falcons will probably try to match the 2016 run game.

I think most people just mean "balance and ball control" then they say "ground and pound." The outside zone scheme is not an in your face, down hill, approach. It does give you the expectation of 3 yards on every snap with the opportunity to rip the D on any given attempt. 

7 minutes ago, Slumerican said:

Im not expecting us to break sack records any time soon.. And more than likely teams will be able to run the ball down our throats and besides Jarrett, we won't be able to do anything about it.. Yeah, id say its the same trend we've been used to for several years 

We were the 6th best run defense last year

35 minutes ago, Brewcrew said:

I think Pees will find ways to apply pressure from places other than just the d-line, which went against DQs philosophy (despite never having an adequate d-line to run his defense).  We’ll see if that plays out. 

The key for us will be defending the seams and middle of the field.

Thats the biggest areas we have addressed this off season thus far.

We have vet experience which is a good thing.

The draft outside of the top 2-3 picks feels like a sidebar.

Coaching is #1 for us if we are to see marked improvement.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

We were the 6th best run defense last year

That is a wildly misleading statement.

We have the 6th fewest yards, but that is because teams threw on us at will. They gave up like 4.5 yards a carry or something like that. So, pump the brakes on the us having a good defense in any any facet last year.

Edited by PointSwayzee

11 minutes ago, PointSwayzee said:

That is a wildly misleading statement.

We have the 6th fewest yards, but that is because teams threw on us at will. They gave up like 4.5 yards a carry or something like that. So, pump the brakes on the us having a good defense in any any facet last year.

14th lowest YPC AVG against us. Top 15

1 hour ago, Slumerican said:

Im not expecting us to break sack records any time soon.. And more than likely teams will be able to run the ball down our throats and besides Jarrett, we won't be able to do anything about it.. Yeah, id say its the same trend we've been used to for several years 

Remember, Pees likes to scheme sacks. I agree we aren’t breaking any records and are at least another offseason away personnel-wise, but don’t be surprised if we are a much improved pressure team this season. We’re gonna be blitzing like crazy.