How much better is our secondary now?

I'm actually really excited about the secondary:

CBs: A.J. Terrell, Fabian Moreau, Kendall Sheffield, Isaiah Oliver, Tyler Hall, Chris Williamson, Delrick Abrams

Ss: Richie Grant, Duron Harmon, Erik Harris, Jaylinn Hawkins, T.J. Green

The only wish I'd have is to see us re-sign Dennard or Wreh-Wilson for that CB4/CB5 spot, more so for their veteran leadership than anything else.

2 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Grant hasn't played a down. To say it's an upgrade is wishful thinking at best. Plus Falcons lost more than 1 safety lest we forget.

Pitts is a WR. His blocking is crap. He isn't going to be really asked to block. Even as a WR if he is highly graded, it wasn't a need, and WRs have much less impact than QB. But I don't hate Pitts. I rather have the Falcons get a Lombardi than care if Pitts goes to the HOF.

Team achievement is priority over individual player achievement.

Grant is an upgrade. He doesn't have to play a down. Kazee whiffed at about a 50% rate, and Neal couldn't cover his a** with toilet paper. They were both better than Rico.

Pitts was an inline TE at a 60% clip, which is 20% more than Kelce is. Ask UGA how bad he is at blocking, cuz he wrecked the left side of our D.

Free agency is for filling needs. The draft is for getting the best available players. Don't draft to fill needs. That's a TD trait.

3 hours ago, ket222 said:

Should we have gone with a cornerback instead to pair with terrell?  I thought cornerbacks were more valuable?  

I’m hoping the new coaching staff can get more out of Sheffield and Oliver, but that may be just wishful thinking.

3 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Grant hasn't played a down. To say it's an upgrade is wishful thinking at best. Plus Falcons lost more than 1 safety lest we forget.

Pitts is a WR. His blocking is crap. He isn't going to be really asked to block. Even as a WR if he is highly graded, it wasn't a need, and WRs have much less impact than QB. But I don't hate Pitts. I rather have the Falcons get a Lombardi than care if Pitts goes to the HOF.

Team achievement is priority over individual player achievement.

Intellectually dishonest comes through again.

Do you have any idea how much of an upgrade Harmon and Harris are at safety? And we took Moreau to play opposite Terrell. At worst we upgraded. Period.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

Grant is an upgrade. He doesn't have to play a down. Kazee whiffed at about a 50% rate, and Neal couldn't cover his a** with toilet paper. They were both better than Rico.

Pitts was an inline TE at a 60% clip, which is 20% more than Kelce is. Ask UGA how bad he is at blocking, cuz he wrecked the left side of our D.

Free agency is for filling needs. The draft is for getting the best available players. Don't draft to fill needs. That's a TD trait.

I do wonder how much those injuries wrecked Neal.  His coverage was pretty strong his rookie year and was never the same.  Hopefully he can bounce back in Dallas.  Anyone who lays a hit on a Saints player like he did Snead is up there in my book.

no improvement to our pass rush at all...and in the NFL that means Not For Long when it comes to feeling good about our revamped secondary. I guess it's a start to this train wreck of a defense....but that's all it is. Thank goodness for Grady and Jones.  

27 minutes ago, jm_falcons said:

no improvement to our pass rush at all...and in the NFL that means Not For Long when it comes to feeling good about our revamped secondary. I guess it's a start to this train wreck of a defense....but that's all it is. Thank goodness for Grady and Jones.  

Whether you all will admit it or not, but our pass rush improved mightily the very moment we hired a true DC. Pees is a difference maker. 

7 hours ago, arrogantBEAST said:

Neal was a liability in coverage. All of our safeties can cover now

In man coverage sure, but Neal was an excellent box safety and ALWAYS stopped his assignment before the sticks on 3rd down. We will miss that.

10 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

We have our 2 vet safeties and 2 young safeties to learn from them.

4 young CBs

Only time will tell but Peas will scheme and mask issues we have. He’s the best improvement we got this offseason over any player.

It is all about coaching at this point.

9 hours ago, blizzard_falcon said:

I'm actually really excited about the secondary:

CBs: A.J. Terrell, Fabian Moreau, Kendall Sheffield, Isaiah Oliver, Tyler Hall, Chris Williamson, Delrick Abrams

Ss: Richie Grant, Duron Harmon, Erik Harris, Jaylinn Hawkins, T.J. Green

The only wish I'd have is to see us re-sign Dennard or Wreh-Wilson for that CB4/CB5 spot, more so for their veteran leadership than anything else.

We still can sign a vet in July/Aug. We generally do that every year. There's always guys to sign before the season starts to fill holes. I could see us resigning Dennard. He would be great depth and start in a pinch.

2 minutes ago, The Don™ said:

We still can sign a vet in July/Aug. We generally do that every year. There's always guys to sign before the season starts to fill holes. I could see us resigning Dennard. He would be great depth and start in a pinch.

There is definitely still room to improve.  I like TFs approach.  So far, I'm very optimistic of our situation.

3 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

There is definitely still room to improve.  I like TFs approach.  So far, I'm very optimistic of our situation.

Optimisim is what has been lacking lately.  Good to here it getting thrown around. 

4 hours ago, jm_falcons said:

With the lack of money and the holes all over the roster, one part of the team would inevitably suffer. Being a pass rush guy, I’m a little disappointed too but the last regime left a mess. They still could add a player today but expect them to go hard next year on the line. 

6 hours ago, Rings said:

I do wonder how much those injuries wrecked Neal.  His coverage was pretty strong his rookie year and was never the same.  Hopefully he can bounce back in Dallas.  Anyone who lays a hit on a Saints player like he did Snead is up there in my book.

It might have been coaching.... what was emphasized and what wasn't. I'm not sure. Whatever it was, it was pretty contagious in our whole defensive backfield. 

41 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Yeah dude is transparent but secretive at the same time. He said he'll fill holes in FA and draft BPA in the draft. So far, he's done just that. 

Pitts and Grant should be day 1 starters. 

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

It might have been coaching.... what was emphasized and what wasn't. I'm not sure. Whatever it was, it was pretty contagious in our whole defensive backfield. 

Well if it’s coaching it’s not gonna get better for him in Dallas then lol.

5 hours ago, nuccah said:

In man coverage sure, but Neal was an excellent box safety and ALWAYS stopped his assignment before the sticks on 3rd down. We will miss that.

You are right. We are moving away from the scheme and going to a 2 high set. This doesn’t fit Neal at all. I don’t even think Neal is playing safety in Dallas. 

Really like the pick of Grant.  He also gives us slot CB coverage abilities and very rangy.

I liked Neal when we got him and loved the hits he put on people.  But seems he was hitting the bench hurt more than hitting the field during his time here. 

Time will tell if we're improved much but I can see a nice unit being put together and can't wait to see them play but really can't wait to see how our offense does in hopes of keeping the D rested and playing at a higher level rather than gassed out. 

Some of you guys are stuck in Quinn's scheme. Our safeties are much more interchangeable now than they were before. I would be very surprised if Harmon and Grant aren't the two starters.

As for the topic, we're vastly improved from last year. But it's still a weakness. CB group is still an unknown at best, sub-par at worst. Safeties looking better but Grant's a rookie so it could take time.

I’m actually grateful Grant is 24 and not 20. He’s going to be the last line of defense at times seeing the field from out there, helping line the other DBs up properly, pointing things out and communicating. A heck of a lot of emotional maturation happens between the ages of 20 and 24.