How much better is our secondary now?

A simple question. How much impact will our second round safety pick and our free agent safety pick improve our fairly miserable secondary?  Has it become a strength?

Just now, ket222 said:

Should we have gone with a cornerback instead to pair with terrell?  I thought cornerbacks were more valuable?  

Was there a more valuable corner to be selected? Serious question.

2 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I’m not sure. Does he take Erik Harris’s spot? Surely Duron Harmon is a starter. If Harris is the backup, then we’re in good shape. Is Grant a SS or a FS? I know Pees wants versatility. I like the pick, but I have a lot of questions. 

Draft profile says he does his best work deep we will see though.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, NashvilleFalcon01 said:

I’m not sure. Does he take Erik Harris’s spot? Surely Duron Harmon is a starter. If Harris is the backup, then we’re in good shape. Is Grant a SS or a FS? I know Pees wants versatility. I like the pick, but I have a lot of questions. 

Grant is a FS, and so is Harmon. Will still probably see both of them in 2-deep safety sets.

Harris is much bigger (6’3 225) and will surely play SS and big-nickel. Hawkins is a SS, too. (and so is TJ Green)

Edited by Beef

Richie is slightly slower than Ricardo Allen. Only ran a 4.57. Still, he seems to have good acceleration to the ball and tackles well. Probably not a HOF safety but solid depth and a decent starter next year. 

Dean Pees knows exactly what he is looking for at safety. You know Pees had to have endorsed the pick.

Pees likes to mix it up up front, disguise where the heat is coming from and force mistakes. You need a FS out there to capitalize on those mistakes with turnovers.

We drafted a ballhawk. Let’s get Ryan, Pitts and crew the ball back on short fields.

49 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Richie is slightly slower than Ricardo Allen. Only ran a 4.57. Still, he seems to have good acceleration to the ball and tackles well. Probably not a HOF safety but solid depth and a decent starter next year. 

Grant is way better and plays way faster with better instincts than Rico.

4 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I don't see any upgrade. At best the team went sideways. But maybe they had to given the cap situation.

Grant definitely upgrades rico and the revolving door we had at safety.

Mayfield probably an upgrade at LG.

Pitts is the best te prospect ever, upgrade from hurst and somewhat replaces an aging julio. Not to mention if you look how arthur used delanie walker and jonnu pitts makes our redzone offense twice as dangerous and opens up that spot where koetter was absolutley abysmal. Pitts will have 8-12 tds

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Grant definitely upgrades rico and the revolving door we had at safety.

Mayfield probably an upgrade at LG.

Pitts is the best te prospect ever, upgrade from hurst and somewhat replaces an aging julio. Not to mention if you look how arthur used delanie walker and jonnu pitts makes our redzone offense twice as dangerous and opens up that spot where koetter was absolutley abysmal. Pitts will have 8-12 tds

Grant hasn't played a down. To say it's an upgrade is wishful thinking at best. Plus Falcons lost more than 1 safety lest we forget.

Pitts is a WR. His blocking is crap. He isn't going to be really asked to block. Even as a WR if he is highly graded, it wasn't a need, and WRs have much less impact than QB. But I don't hate Pitts. I rather have the Falcons get a Lombardi than care if Pitts goes to the HOF.

Team achievement is priority over individual player achievement.

Edited by Intellectually Honest