Day#2 - did you catch what Fontenot said in Pitts press conference last night? (2nd round trade-down?)

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

trading down is the most logical move as well.    Falcons need a ton of players and this pick will be the hottest pick left to launch a trade.   Sure he can trade picks later for more picks but this will be only pick that could be traded to bring back significant value.   Outside of this pick, just trading numbers for more numbers.   This pick can bring back two substantial picks back.

Just a slight disagreement. I think the current regime is more interested in quality of player (potential impact) than in trying to address every need in the draft. If they could have 7 nominal players that fill needs or 5 high impact players with 2 open needs post draft, I think they would choose the second.

While I generally agree with your philosophy expressed in other posts that the Falcons are unlikely to do anything special over the next two years; just based on words and actions to this point, those things point to more of a "win now" strategy from Blank down to the HC. 

17 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Just a slight disagreement. I think the current regime is more interested in quality of player (potential impact) than in trying to address every need in the draft. If they could have 7 nominal players that fill needs or 5 high impact players with 2 open needs post draft, I think they would choose the second.

While I generally agree with your philosophy expressed in other posts that the Falcons are unlikely to do anything special over the next two years; just based on words and actions to this point, those things point to more of a "win now" strategy from Blank down to the HC. 

understand your perspective and argument.

all I would retort back along your lines is this - you are assuming that there is "one prospect" that they love now at a point in the draft where you could make the argument that the talent is flattening out.  I just don't believe there is one "gotta have" at this point.

As Falcons fans under Dimitroff regime, we have been conditioned to feel desperation and no trade-backs.   Dave you may be suffering from Dimitroff PTSD :D 

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Did you guys catch the casual line Fontenot threw out last night about getting ready for Day#2 and the two OR THREE picks tomorrow.    Did you guys do your eyebrow raise when he said OR THREE?

With the Falcons having the #3 pick tonight, the Falcons are gonna get a ton of call on that pick.  My guess is they would be willing to move down 5-10 spots if the offer has attached to it a 3rd round pick.

This Falcons team has so many holes - glad we took Pitts but we need to create even more opportunity and it's probably worth forgoing a Moehrig or Javonte Williams to get that extra pick at this point.

You good bro? Was worried about you last night.

8 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

You good bro? Was worried about you last night.

LOL - I was worried about you - haven't seen you on the boards much lately.

nah man, I'm good - loved Pitts.

Of course I wanted Justin - hated when he left Athens and wanted him to be in the ATL - but most of all wishing him the best in Chi-Town.    Will always root for the kid except when up against my Falcons - only exception to that would have been had he been drafted in NFC South - luckily that didn't happen.

22 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

understand your perspective and argument.

all I would retort back along your lines is this - you are assuming that there is "one prospect" that they love now at a point in the draft where you could make the argument that the talent is flattening out.  I just don't believe there is one "gotta have" at this point.

As Falcons fans under Dimitroff regime, we have been conditioned to feel desperation and no trade-backs.   Dave you may be suffering from Dimitroff PTSD :D 

I'm more of an "observer" than a "reasoner." Just observing, there may be a slight disconnect between what the GM and HC have done so far and what many of us through would happen. I think most of us expected some sort of a concerted rebuild. What we have seen so far is much more "win now." Desperate is a strong word, but I just have a strong suspicion that a certain fan/product focused owner is whispering: "I'm not going to meddle in your player selection...but another losing season is NOT acceptable" in some ears. 

28 minutes ago, falcndave said:

I'm more of an "observer" than a "reasoner." Just observing, there may be a slight disconnect between what the GM and HC have done so far and what many of us through would happen. I think most of us expected some sort of a concerted rebuild. What we have seen so far is much more "win now." Desperate is a strong word, but I just have a strong suspicion that a certain fan/product focused owner is whispering: "I'm not going to meddle in your player selection...but another losing season is NOT acceptable" in some ears. 

I believe the lines are a little blurred between re-build and re-load anyway.    I mean - we didn't draft a QB at #4 but we did draft a 20 year old playmaker - he should be able to be w/ the organization for 12 years or more if healthy and productive.

"Win now" reeks more of trading draft picks for established stars near the end of their careers - that's not what happened.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

LOL - I was worried about you - haven't seen you on the boards much lately.

nah man, I'm good - loved Pitts.

Of course I wanted Justin - hated when he left Athens and wanted him to be in the ATL - but most of all wishing him the best in Chi-Town.    Will always root for the kid except when up against my Falcons - only exception to that would have been had he been drafted in NFC South - luckily that didn't happen.

Yeah I work a lot so just mostly read here and there. As far as Pitts I love him. Just wasn’t a good enough defensive player to take at 4 or I would have done that. 

My preferred option was trading back, but we would of had to get a deal like the Phins or it wasn’t worth.

I liked Fields, but honestly just thought it was 2 years to early to start looking at QBs.

3 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Yeah I work a lot so just mostly read here and there. As far as Pitts I love him. Just wasn’t a good enough defensive player to take at 4 or I would have done that. 

My preferred option was trading back, but we would of had to get a deal like the Phins or it wasn’t worth.

I liked Fields, but honestly just thought it was 2 years to early to start looking at QBs.

I'm excited that now Justin likely will get the opportunity to play his rookie year.    I am in the camp that you can't really improve much on the bench.   Get out there and play, make mistakes and learn o the job.

We really need to figure out how to get three picks today, without giving up anything other than one of the late 5ths to do it. We need to draft a de, cb, s, Rb, and lg in this draft that is starter or functional backup caliber. I’d hate to rely on picks at  The end of the 5th to get them. 

4 hours ago, celtiksage said:

Yes that caught my attention. I'd love to trade down, but if JOK, Ojulari, Moehrig, and that DT from Washington are still there. Awww man. What to do.

Yeah, a tough call. If JOK is there, depending on the offer I'd have to take JOK. The fact that there is even a chance at him is crazy to me. 

5 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Hearing Dallas is trying to move up to draft Trevon Moehrig

Buckle up, it’s shaping up to be exactly like last night, where our pick could shape how Round 2 goes for the rest of the league.  If JOK is still sitting there, wow.

Edited by Maltese Falcon