Does It Matter?

Back in my day I can remember the draft happening over a weekend. Half on Saturday, the rest on Sunday. I wonder if the current format helps teams sort of reset between days to make selections that might have been rushed in the past. Has the extra time (overnight) between the first round and second round made a difference in evaluation, or have teams already figured out who they want and are just waiting?

Its a great point.  Add to that the tremendous advances in technology, the draft is so much better for the war-rooms than it was then.  Imagine being limited to a bank of phones and a large whiteboard with names on it, how did they ever get it all done?  I always had the feeling that by around the 4th round the kegs would start popping and teams would start to scour the HBCUs for some  breakout that everyone else had missed.

Then, the draft was probably closer to a much slower, less scientific version of what is now the UDFA process.  Teams could stash players for so long that basically everything outside the first three rounds was depth building.

18 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Back in my day I can remember the draft happening over a weekend. Half on Saturday, the rest on Sunday. I wonder if the current format helps teams sort of reset between days to make selections that might have been rushed in the past. Has the extra time (overnight) between the first round and second round made a difference in evaluation, or have teams already figured out who they want and are just waiting?

I believe, if anything, it's for sure given more time for trade development and consideration, based on how day 1 went, who is left on the board to start day 2, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I liked the old days draft version, but I understand why they changed it.

Would suck to be that guy, 1st rnd prognosis and have the camera on you till late 2nd or third round.

Not gonna lie, the only reason I liked it back then was because I was a teenager. We would grab 10 double cheeseburgers and watch all day. Now, I can't stay in one spot that long lol

With all things considered, it gives teams time to reassess where they are.  Possible reconfigure their board, and start assessing not only where their team is headed, but to make cogent guesses at other teams moves.  Dealing isn't done yet.  Round 2 will see some action.  Don't be surprised if we don't move down if our man isn't there.  An extra third and fourth would be nice to have.

14 minutes ago, Dirtier Bird said:

I think teams have always had a list of the order they would draft the top 250 college prospects. Cross players off as drafted then pick a guy from the top 5-10 still on your list. Or maybe there's a dart board involved, I'm not sure. 

For the Cleveland Browns it's probably yard darts.

I think the major difference is that teams have more opportunity to orchestrate trades either up or down.  This probably favors the teams trading down a bit as they have more time to create a market for their pick than under the previous format.  

I don’t watch a lot of TV this time of year except the draft. So if I have a few beers each night I get to have more beers the more days it takes. So it’s a win-win. Part of the time is the reset that teams probably want and a bigger part of it is media demand. 

1 minute ago, Jesus said:

Sure by the NFL, but that doesn't mean teams don't take advantage of the extra time.

Oh you're right of course, I was just saying the league doesn't do things like the way the draft is handled in order to benefit the teams.  

Just now, octoslash said:

Oh you're right of course, I was just saying the league doesn't do things like the way the draft is handled in order to benefit the teams.  

Goodell doesn't get rich caring about teams.

Definitely re-calibration. When guys like Barmore are falling, and guys like Leatherwood are being overdrafted, I'm sure that's throwing monkey wrenches in a lot of operations. Teams being able to reset and adjust to the board allows time for them to maybe call around about trades(up or down). At minimum, reshape your draft board.

As it stands, a few first round talents dropped to the 2nd round, and 2 RB's went in the first. Javonte Williams just became a hotter commodity. I wouldn't mind calling the Vikings, Dolphins, or Raiders and picking up some picks. More guys are going to be pushed down. A few additional 3rd round picks would nice to have.