Jump to content

"Kyle Pitts is the Next Calvin Johnson" | CBS Sports HQ


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get off my lawn, newb.

Love the pick, but lest we cast that bust for Canton just yet. 

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

No one is crapping on Calvin Johnson. The question is simple:

Would you rather have a phenomenal individual talent whose team never achieves even middling success or would you rather have a team that achieves success? 

As i replied, how can one reconcile CJ being one of the best WRs to ever play the game and his team stinking his career OTHER THAN to believe that WR isn't really that important of a position? 

The browns stunk joe thomas entire career. Is left tackle not important? This is the stupidest argument ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Duff_Man said:

I been here since 1998! Still doing yearly MBGTs with Shiney!

...**** I am old.

'04 I think? Was a wee lad back then. And I barely got 2K 😁

Anyway, I was really hoping this was all smoke to get someone to pay big. Not unhappy with Pitts, just hoping he turns out to be as good as he can be. He's a physical freak Ala Jones when we drafted him. That turned out nice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

i get that Calvin was a phenomenal talent, but it would make me feel a little better if the comparisons were to a receiver that actually helped his team win anything of significance. 

"He's the next Jerry Rice"
"He's the next Gronk" (plays the same position and also a nightmare matchup)

If you told me that the next 9 years the Falcons would have a HoF WR and make the playoffs just once, never contending, i'd say "no thanks, i'll pass."

I agree Randy Moss was straight trash what a loser.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

i get that Calvin was a phenomenal talent, but it would make me feel a little better if the comparisons were to a receiver that actually helped his team win anything of significance. 

"He's the next Jerry Rice"
"He's the next Gronk" (plays the same position and also a nightmare matchup)

If you told me that the next 9 years the Falcons would have a HoF WR and make the playoffs just once, never contending, i'd say "no thanks, i'll pass."

Stop taking the piss out of us.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found it interesting the guy said he started hearing a couple of weeks ago that Ownership said  "NO, we will are going with Matt Ryan and should draft the tight end".  Kyle Pitts is a bad dude and I like everything AB has done for the city but I,m not a fan of his meddling style.  Falcons for life, and holding on Dan Quinn and Dimi way too long were some epic mistakes. 

Edited by insight
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

The browns stunk joe thomas entire career. Is left tackle not important? This is the stupidest argument ever.

Okay, feel free to share your thoughts on what's being discussed:

1. If Kyle Pitts career does exactly match that of CJ (individual accolades, no team success), will you be satisfied as a fan? 

2. My initial post was i'd rather have Pitts become Rice or Gronk. Your choice - the Falcons just drafted Pitts, would you rather have him become CJ, Rice, or Gronk?

3. Obviously "football is a team game," which explains how elite players can play on bad teams (Mike Kenn would have been the example of an OT i would expect to be cited from someone who has been a FalconsFanSince1969). So the question then is this: Given that reality, how much, if any, emphasis do you place on draft evaluations at this point? Are they meaningless, should fans not care at all, are they only relevant 10 years from now in hindsight? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Okay, feel free to share your thoughts on what's being discussed:

1. If Kyle Pitts career does exactly match that of CJ (individual accolades, no team success), will you be satisfied as a fan? 

2. My initial post was i'd rather have Pitts become Rice or Gronk. Your choice - the Falcons just drafted Pitts, would you rather have him become CJ, Rice, or Gronk?

3. Obviously "football is a team game," which explains how elite players can play on bad teams (Mike Kenn would have been the example of an OT i would expect to be cited from someone who has been a FalconsFanSince1969). So the question then is this: Given that reality, how much, if any, emphasis do you place on draft evaluations at this point? Are they meaningless, should fans not care at all, are they only relevant 10 years from now in hindsight? 

 

You're right. He's more like a dominant tight end ala Gronk who creates mismatches all over the field.

 

 

Dumb as a bag of rocks argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what is determined to be a so-so, good, or great rookie year for Pitts.  Will fans be disappointed with only 40 catches? 50 catches? 3 TD's? 6 TD's?

Will he be expected to exceed Hurst's numbers in year 1?

Edited by jlrfalcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

I been here since 1998! Still doing yearly MBGTs with Shiney!

...**** I am old.

Same man... since 1998.  I miss the MBGT crew.  I wish it was more of a thing instead of a handful of people now.   It was a blast back when we had 20-30 people hanging out in groups all weekend.  

We do need to get together and hang out regardless though since we're all of 20-25 minutes from each other.  Shot me a text my friend.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

No one is crapping on Calvin Johnson. The question is simple:

Would you rather have a phenomenal individual talent whose team never achieves even middling success or would you rather have a team that achieves success? 

As i replied, how can one reconcile CJ being one of the best WRs to ever play the game and his team stinking his career OTHER THAN to believe that WR isn't really that important of a position? 

It's a team sport.  Again a team sport can at any time have a hof player at one position and a hall of crap at another position and they negate each other. Pretty simple really.

Calvin johnson at WR and charles dimry at cb. See?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Would he have had success on a better team? Obviously, i never argued he wouldn't. 

BUT, if you truly are one of the greatest WRs in the history of the game, you should be able to help your team just make the playoffs more than once in your career. OR the position itself is radically overvalued. Sorry Calvin. 

So Barry Sanders sucks too? Or maybe, just maybe Detroit is an extremely poorly run franchise that has churned out GMs and coaches the way a fat man goes through a pint of Ben and Jerry's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

If we weren’t the Falcons we honestly had a real chance of beating them twice 

Yup.

Two big drops on third down in the second half allow the bucks to take the lead in the first game.

 

And In the second game we got to I think at one score game and had all of the momentum following a 2nd down sack and then we proceeed to give up a 40+yard play on 3rd and long....it just broke the teams spirits.

Some extremely questionable officiating also did not help Falcons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Yup.

Two big drops on third down in the second half allow the bucks to take the lead in the first game.

 

And In the second game we got to I think at one score game and had all of the momentum following a 2nd down sack and then we proceeed to give up a 40+yard play on 3rd and long....it just broke the teams spirits.

Some extremely questionable officiating also did not help Falcons.

The fact that the Falcons could have been 3-0 and should have at least been 2-1 against the two SB teams is absurd. This team was so ridiculously stupid under Quinn and his associates. I really hope they change under Smith.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I feel bad for him because if he's not this generational player then people are going to call him a bust.... Even if he has a good quality nfl career.

I think it’ll be unfair to label him as a bust if he doesn’t live up to expectations. Mainly because the expectation is that he’s Gonzales or Kelce. That’s why I pump the brakes on name brand comparisons. At 4 overall he is required to have high expectations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...