Jump to content

Biggest surprise so far?


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Abeasley27 said:

Who would you guys say is the biggest surprise pick or faller so far?

Mine would be Alex Leatherwood at 17 as a surprise pick and my faller so far would be JOK. I still can’t believe he’s on the board. And with how coach Pees likes to disguise coverages he may end up being our best fit.

With the Raiders since Mayock came in, it would have been a surprise had they NOT massively over reached. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While I am a bit surprised we didn’t reach for a QB I am excited about Pitts. That is not a stunner decision.

Biggest surprise to me is Lance to Niners. Because he’s very likely to end up starting, especially considering the potential Jimmy G trade. Kid has played 1 “d1” game in a year. And it was FCS. Maybe he’s great. Probably he’s going to get wrecked because if you’re honest, the Niners problem was protection and injuries last year. Good luck, kid. 
 

And in the same way I m surprised how late Fields went because he’s the one with the top end to be the next star among the first round QBs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer the question, I laughed a bit at 2 picks:

Trey Lance at 3 - This right here is Shanahan just being arrogant. They'll regret it. 

Carolina passing up Fields. I don't personally think he'll be an all star QB, but you're banking on Darnold? Seriously?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Denver definitely passed but the other two would've had to of moved up past Da Bears.  Raiders with Carr, no way, but the saints would've I think, they just didn't have or want to spend the draft capita to move up that far.

I just mean the picks of LV and NO were head scratchers. Not because they didn't draft Fields though, he was sitting there for DEN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abeasley27 said:

Who would you guys say is the biggest surprise pick or faller so far?

Mine would be Alex Leatherwood at 17 as a surprise pick and my faller so far would be JOK. I still can’t believe he’s on the board. And with how coach Pees likes to disguise coverages he may end up being our best fit.

Leatherwood and Toney. I thought both were big reaches. Tyron to Tampa was  another bit of a head scratcher as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MSalmon said:

Leatherwood and Toney. I thought both were big reaches. Tyron to Tampa was  another bit of a head scratcher as well

I don't get the hype around Toney. All I hear is how dynamic and explosive he was, but he really didn't stand out athletically when I watched him. Looked like a good college WR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Saints reached hard for Turner.

Leatherwood super early over Darrisaw.

Panthers & Broncos passing on Fields 

Washington and New England not moving up for Fields

Fields has to have something going on with his game or his interviews that's scaring teams off.  Chicago is a black hole for QBs.  God bless that kid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, nuccah said:

To answer the question, I laughed a bit at 2 picks:

Trey Lance at 3 - This right here is Shanahan just being arrogant. They'll regret it. 

Carolina passing up Fields. I don't personally think he'll be an all star QB, but you're banking on Darnold? Seriously?

 

 

I agree wholeheartedly with the panthers passing fields because of darnald is insane. But hey I’m glad they did 🤣 also do we think they may have taken horn to try to get ahead of the curve for covering our offense now??

 

15 minutes ago, nuccah said:

To answer the question, I laughed a bit at 2 picks:

Trey Lance at 3 - This right here is Shanahan just being arrogant. They'll regret it. 

Carolina passing up Fields. I don't personally think he'll be an all star QB, but you're banking on Darnold? Seriously?

 

 

I think the panthers may have tried to get a jump on drafting to stop us 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Abeasley27 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the panthers passing fields because of darnald is insane. But hey I’m glad they did 🤣 also do we think they may have taken horn to try to get ahead of the curve for covering our offense now??

 

I think the panthers may have tried to get a jump on drafting to stop us 🤣

We have to scare them.  The moves we have made should scare them.  AS alone sent shockwaves to Charlotte.  The collective sphincter tightened to ungainly proportions in their front office.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Abeasley27 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with the panthers passing fields because of darnald is insane. But hey I’m glad they did 🤣 also do we think they may have taken horn to try to get ahead of the curve for covering our offense now??

 

I think the panthers may have tried to get a jump on drafting to stop us 🤣

Nah, they still having flashbacks of Julio dismantling their secondary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Saints reached hard for Turner.

Leatherwood super early over Darrisaw.

Panthers & Broncos passing on Fields 

Washington and New England not moving up for Fields

Yeah some of those choices were really odd to me. 

Turner could've been had within range of a modest r2 trade up or maybe at their spot. He is an above average prospect in a below average DL class. So, fairly average all around. It's almost like they panicked after not being able to move up?

The Raiders are always oddball under Gruden, but I'm not sure anyone can look at the tape on Leatherwood and see a better player than Darrisaw. 

I was thinking the Panthers might go ahead and take Fields, but they went with an absolute immediate need in Horn. They have some serious receiving weapons to face in division these days. I don't write off Darnold for them. They can try him, and if it doesn't work, they'll go for a QB next year.

Denver? They tend to have better success with vet QBs anyway. And I wouldn't completely write off this Rodgers business. There could be cap considerations that have to be worked out post June 1 when it comes to his contract, so it might still happen.

Who knows what the deal is with the skins. So much talent on that roster, but they refuse to try to fix their QB situation.  The still think it's Joe Gibbs' 80s/90s teams, trotting out a string of nobody's who take them to the SB, I guess. 

And Jones, imo, is the perfect guy for the Pats. He's going to do what you ask, and not deviate from the script in a way that costs you games. Pretty much a low ceiling guy, but you can be a playoff team with him some years if you have a good team around him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

We have to scare them.  The moves we have made should scare them.  AS alone sent shockwaves to Charlotte.  The collective sphincter tightened to ungainly proportions in their front office.

 

8 minutes ago, nuccah said:

Nah, they still having flashbacks of Julio dismantling their secondary. 

Yeah the other teams in our division are like "Awww **** naw. JJ, Pitts, Rid and Hurst. Duh f*** we gonna do?" And "please lawd Jesus make them trade Julio." 😱😭😭🙏🙏🙏

Day 1 was a success. We had the best day 1 in the division. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, celtiksage said:

 

Yeah the other teams in our division are like "Awww **** naw. JJ, Pitts, Rid and Hurst. Duh f*** we gonna do?" And "please lawd Jesus make them trade Julio." 😱😭😭🙏🙏🙏

Exactly.  Our offense, if the line gels and we get that running game moving, should be terrifying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abeasley27 said:

I’m curious as to when the last time that happened was. It seems like it wasn’t that far back but usually there’s at least one guy who’s impressive, athletic and has enough potential to get into the 1st round

Looks like it was 2017. First DT was Malik McDowell in the 2nd, yikes haha. Id say that draft beats this one for having a worse DT class

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Foo Falcons said:

Looks like it was 2017. First DT was Malik McDowell in the 2nd, yikes haha. Id say that draft beats this one for having a worse DT class

🤣 I didn’t think it had been that long ago but who is Malik McDowell?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Herr Doktor said:

Exactly.  Our offense, if the line gels and we get that running game moving, should be terrifying.

And we have a HC that loves the run, 2 TE sets and play action. People underestimate the advantage you can gain with good play calling.

Think about Ryan running the no huddle with Pitts, Hurst, Ridley, Davis and either an extra Olineman or say Ollison as the 2nd back. The D lines up to stop the run, you hit Pitts/Rid/Hurst with a slant, try to stop the pass, run it down their  throat. Ryan would play action you to death. They'd never know what's coming.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

And we have a HC that loves the run, 2 TE sets and play action. People underestimate the advantage you can gain with good play calling.

Think about Ryan running the no huddle with Pitts, Hurst, Ridley, Davis and either an extra Olineman or say Ollison as the 2nd back. The D lines up to stop the run, you hit Pitts/Rid/Hurst with a slant, try to stop the pass, run it down their  throat. Ryan would play action you to death. They'd never know what's coming.

 

Interesting to see what Ollison can or cannot do.  Kid was a battering ram in college.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, falconidae said:

We'll get some idea of what the falcons think of him if they don't draft a RB today.

I still have to believe we draft a back that receive.  Davis and Ollison aren't known for their hands.  That says Williams or Gainwell to me.  Hawkins maybe in the sixth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abeasley27 said:

After seeing who each of our nfc south opponents drafted I honestly think we improved the most after the first round. 
 

Also read where it said that Kyle Pitts may end up being the kind of player that teams start drafting in order to stop him. That’s pretty high praise and I like it.

I agree with this but I think it has more to do with where we were picking.  Teams that have high 1st round picks tend to get graded more favorably on initial assessments.  Tampa has a complete roster so it was more about adding depth which doesn't move the needle as much as the weapon Pitts could become in our offense. I think the Saints and Panthers picks were a little underwhelming.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...