ESPN First Take and Get UP on possible Julio Jones trade

2 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

If they trade Julio may as well trade Grady since they is a blow up and would seem Ryan would be gone in 22 and they wouldn't care what the hit is

But Grady isnt on the wrong side of his career making a boatload of money WITH an injury history. Besides, we have depth at WR, we dont have ANY defensive depth

45 minutes ago, Red Bandana said:

Max is right. We’re not gonna compete for Super Bowls this year or the next. Time to rebuild 

This is fake news that’s steadily being pumped out by those who only look at records.

We lost games last year by a point differential somewhere close to 1.  We would’ve been competing for a super bowl last year if our coaching wasn’t so inept.

We definitely won’t compete for anything if we don’t fix the defense, but we’re not nearly as far gone as people make it out to be.

I don't understand people saying if you trade Julio it's a rebuild.  

If you take Pitts or Chase (or a couple other receivers) with our first pick, then we still ought to have a good trio of receivers.  Now you'd be able to take a defensive player with whatever 1st round pick was traded to you.  Take an OG in the 2nd.

So imagine you take WR with our first, CB with the trade first, OL in the 2nd, FS in the 3rd.  We've just added to both the offense and defense.  And we've freed up cap money to pay a couple free agents on defense next year.

I doubt the trade occurs, but we could still have a top 10 WR corps if we took a receiver first.  If that enables more defensive players this year and more free agency flexibility next year, that's hardly a blowup situation.

4 minutes ago, KRUNKuno said:

This is fake news that’s steadily being pumped out by those who only look at records.

We lost games last year by a point differential somewhere close to 1.  We would’ve been competing for a super bowl last year if our coaching wasn’t so inept.

We definitely won’t compete for anything if we don’t fix the defense, but we’re not nearly as far gone as people make it out to be.

Agreed.  If Pees and the additions in FA and the draft can get the defense to even middle of the road this year and we can get better line play and a running game from AS's offense (and a few offensive additions as well) we'll be competitive.  The team is not THAT far off that we need to do a burn down and rebuild.   that is exactly why TF is approaching things the way he is.  Shore up and reload because we have enough pieces to be competitive. It isn't necessary to burn to the ground and rebuild.

9 hours ago, BroadwayBlueBleeder said:

Besides, we have depth at WR.

I'v seen/heard many people make this argument, but we really don't have the depth that most think we do at WR. Patterson is a pure gadget player/ return man. He'll get looks at WR i'm sure, but at best, he's a WR3.

Gage isn't a #2 WR either, and while Ridley could hold down a #1 spot, i'd prefer keeping him more in line as a high end #2. Zaccheus and Blake don't do enough to warrant being more than a WR3, and that's best case scenario for them..

So in essence, we're bumping a bunch of guys up that really won't make much of a difference. Now if you're drafting Chase/Pitts for sure, then maybe we can talk about depth being a strength, but like it was mentioned in the video, the appeal for drafting Pitts/Chase is to add more to the armory.

1 hour ago, BroadwayBlueBleeder said:

But Grady isnt on the wrong side of his career making a boatload of money WITH an injury history. Besides, we have depth at WR, we dont have ANY defensive depth

But if we are in full rebuild this team might not be until he is on the wrong side of 30. If you are gonna blow it up may as well go all the way. And besides if he is to play 3-4 DE (I think we will see more 3-4 then Pees is letting on) he may be out of position and maybe not as effective two gapping

I find it funny how everyone talks about offense then doesn’t mention the run game.I mean we don’t need Matt passing it 40 times a game for this team to progress we best be changing our identity to that run first and then attack off of it.

Run game and Defense if we don’t improve there significantly mail the season.

3 hours ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

I'v seen/heard many people make this argument, but we really don't have the depth that most think we do at WR. Patterson is a pure gadget player/ return man. He'll get looks at WR i'm sure, but at best, he's a WR3.

Gage isn't a #2 WR either, and while Ridley could hold down a #1 spot, i'd prefer keeping him more in line as a high end #2. Zaccheus and Blake don't do enough to warrant being more than a WR3, and that's best case scenario for them..

So in essence, we're bumping a bunch of guys up that really won't make much of a difference. Now if you're drafting Chase/Pitts for sure, then maybe we can talk about depth being a strength, but like it was mentioned in the video, the appeal for drafting Pitts/Chase is to add more to the armory.

That's one mans opinion. I think with the style Smith calls, Ridley would be more than capable as well as Gage. That would also only be for one year. If Julio is moved, they will have more cap to sign someone next year/draft his replacement. 

2 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

But if we are in full rebuild this team might not be until he is on the wrong side of 30. If you are gonna blow it up may as well go all the way. And besides if he is to play 3-4 DE (I think we will see more 3-4 then Pees is letting on) he may be out of position and maybe not as effective two gapping

Moving one player doesn't signal a rebuild. They aren't gutting the team. The assets/cap space they would have could easily make this a retool.

5 hours ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

You trade Julio if you are going into a 3 to 5 year rebuild, not if you think you can get this team to the playoffs within a year or two. If a team offers a 1st and a day 2 pick next draft, maybe consider it. If a team offers a haul this season AND we can sign Grady Jarrett to an extension to offset the 23 million in dead cap by trading Julio before 6/1, you maybe consider it. I don't see either of those scenarios happening, so keep Julio and gear up the offense if you take Pitts at 4, or trade back, stockpile for next year, and bolster the defense this year.

Also, I really hate it when I agree with SAS.

With or without Julio, the Falcons are not good enough to make a run at the championship.  The defense is suspect and the rush offense is lousy.  

Of course, we have a new coaching staff and that will improve things, but right now, you really have to have rose-colored glasses to believe that the Falcons are legitimate SB candidates this coming season and the next. 

4 hours ago, BroadwayBlueBleeder said:

I absolutely love Grady.  He is a man's man and a great NFL player. However, I wonder whether he fits into Pees' defense.  To tell you the truth I don't know what Pees runs.  Is he a 3-4 with some 4-3 mixed in?  Or is he primarily a gap 4-3 with some 3-4 sprinkled in to confuse offenses?

If Pees plans on a 3-4 alignment with DL's occupying gaps and LB's making plays, well, maybe Grady is better served on another team.  

And even though it would hurt, Grady could bring in more assets than even Julio. 

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

I absolutely love Grady.  He is a man's man and a great NFL player. However, I wonder whether he fits into Pees' defense.  To tell you the truth I don't know what Pees runs.  Is he a 3-4 with some 4-3 mixed in?  Or is he primarily a gap 4-3 with some 3-4 sprinkled in to confuse offenses?

If Pees plans on a 3-4 alignment with DL's occupying gaps and LB's making plays, well, maybe Grady is better served on another team.  

And even though it would hurt, Grady could bring in more assets than even Julio. 

You got me there. I think (hope) they can find a fit for him but that could be a sign as to why there hasn't been any extensions in the works.