Julio Jones trade talks: Who’s calling the Falcons? The Ravens, Patriots, 49ers are potential suitors - The Athletic

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If paying a rookie QB to sit on the bench is stupid, why is paying your star WR $15M to play for another team not just as stupid. 

Detroit has some cap space, a massive need at WR & extra picks in future drafts from the Stafford trade. Now, I am not at all saying whether trading Julio is the right move or not, but if Detro

Doubt Niners would have much to give up to trade for Julio at this point lol.

10 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

The other truth that none of us likes to acknowledge is that neither Julio nor Matt comes close to impacting the dynamic of the game without an effective rushing attack. Between our lack of run blocking and our inability to spring backs for yards beyond the line of scrimmage, we've wasted several years of their window. I don't want to lose Julio. But **** if I want him to go down with the ship. I like him enough that I'd root for his next team against anybody but us.

Unless he went to New Orleans. Or Tampa Bay.

I respect your opinion. I love Calvin but we need a high quality WR2 and good scheme for him to be That Guy. Really really really hoping Smitty can figure out how to put our pieces in position to succeed. Tired of having talented players but dumb schemes.

I feel confident we can get a high quality #2 extremely easy. This draft has several. Not to mention if we do end up drafting Pitts then he will be playing in the slot a lot of the time. And Gage is already a quality slot WR. 

9 hours ago, vel said:

If paying a rookie QB to sit on the bench is stupid, why is paying your star WR $15M to play for another team not just as stupid. 

This post should have /thread, but of course it couldn’t/wouldn’t.

8 hours ago, Someday soon said:

Fontenot is telling everyone they are in a bad salary cap situation.  Most here are unable to accept that.  We are in worse shape next year if we don’t act preemptively. You really only have Julio's and Grady's contracts to manipulate for relief purposes. 

LOL. 

16 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Seriously? 2016 was 6 years ago.

If Arthur Smith is looking at film from 2016 and thinking he's getting anything like that with Julio the Falcons are ******.

Maybe they can sign Legarett Blount and Matt Bryant? Those guys were awesome in 2016.

You don’t know that, my man. In 2016 Jones had 83/1400/6 TDs....31 year old Jones came into last season off a 99/1400/6 TD season 2019...he was on a slightly higher pace in 2020 until it became apparent year was lost and they shut him down.  

15 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You don’t know that. In 2016 Jones had 83/1400/6 TDs....Jones came into last season coming off a 99/1400/6 TD 2019...he was on a slightly higher pace in 2020 until it became apparent year was lost and they shut him down.  

I just don't get all these people coming out of the woodwork acting like Matt and Julio have regressed. Julio is still physically dominant like he's always been and Matt is still money. Both put up good numbers despite being in Koetter's stupid offense.

I can't see any signs of regression.

1 hour ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I feel confident we can get a high quality #2 extremely easy. This draft has several. Not to mention if we do end up drafting Pitts then he will be playing in the slot a lot of the time. And Gage is already a quality slot WR. 

Pitts seems to think we're taking a QB at #4 (4:29).

16 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Pitts seems to think we're taking a QB at #4 (4:29).

He thinks QBs go 1-4. That's not the same as us taking one. Everybody in the league knows we'll trade back if we get the right offer.

If SF would just come out and say they're taking Mac Jones (or Lance), we could get something done. People are doing contingencies right now and aren't going to trade until they see #3, though. And I think the Falcons really do like the idea of drafting Pitts. So, I don't necessarily agree with him.

24 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You don’t know that. In 2016 Jones had 83/1400/6 TDs....Jones came into last season coming off a 99/1400/6 TD 2019...he was on a slightly higher pace in 2020 until it became apparent year was lost and they shut him down.  

You're right I don't know that.

I'm just playing the law of averages. In 2016 Julio was 26. Now he's 32.

Maybe he's like Jerry Rice and has one of his best seasons at 32... but then again Jerry didn't miss a game until he was 35. 

Julio could very well have a solid season and have several more. There certainly have been other WRs that have had great seasons at 32 but with the exceptions of Jerry Rice, TO and Larry Fitzgerald there's a noticeable dropoff in production after 32.

6 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

with the exceptions of Jerry Rice, TO and Larry Fitzgerald there's a noticeable dropoff in production after 32.

FWIW, I fully expect Julio to be like that as long as he's healthy. He's a genetic freak. We kinda take it for granted now, but he ran a 4.39 at the combine ON A BROKEN FOOT. The problem with Julio is that he's such a big target and physical player that his body is always dinged up. So, none of us can really say whether he'll be healthy in 2022 or beyond.

Draft Pitts at #4. Arthur Smith likes 2 TEs.

Have Detroit draft Surtain, then trade him to us for a player to be named after June 1 (Julio).  Maybe some draft picks on both sides. They need WRs.

Trade 2nd round up to 21/22 for an edge, maybe Azeez Ojulari.

Pick up Gage or trade later round picks to get #7-8 WR to refill the room. 

8 hours ago, ATLskinjob said:

I just don't get all these people coming out of the woodwork acting like Matt and Julio have regressed. Julio is still physically dominant like he's always been and Matt is still money. Both put up good numbers despite being in Koetter's stupid offense.

I can't see any signs of regression.

Well on Ryan, it’s mostly the Vick crowd.

On Julio, there’s a segment who’ve wanted him gone ever since he ‘held out’ of OTAs. (and no, I’m not saying @Sun Tzu 7 is one of them...he’s always been a reasonable poster).

Anyway....they’ve been trying to predict his regression ever since....and as you noted, at least up to now, wrongly so.

7 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You're right I don't know that.

I'm just playing the law of averages. In 2016 Julio was 26. Now he's 32.

Maybe he's like Jerry Rice and has one of his best seasons at 32... but then again Jerry didn't miss a game until he was 35. 

Julio could very well have a solid season and have several more. There certainly have been other WRs that have had great seasons at 32 but with the exceptions of Jerry Rice, TO and Larry Fitzgerald there's a noticeable dropoff in production after 32.

I know all of that Tzu....but we also know Julio’s never been “average”. 

9 hours ago, Red Bandana said:

So we’re gonna trade Julio then draft pitts? Why

Because Pitts is the best player in the draft by far. Because Pitts is the only NFL-ready TE. Because AS likes 2 TEs. 

Because we need to get at least 2 top prospects for the back of the defense, having let all our starters go. Because there are only 2 NFL-ready corners and 2 NFL-ready safeties. Because salary cap. Because 3-1/2 top talents among RBs and receivers leaves other rooms without. Because 32 is what it is.

Because we have wasted too many years trying to coach up middle-round draftees. Because anything after early third round is just deck chairs on the Titanic. Because gently used QB prospects are going to be in the FA market next year.

19 hours ago, g-dawg said:

because Julio Jones isn't in the plans past 2021 - that's why you trade him - you get an asset back in a draft pick or picks.   Waiting another year kills Julio's value - especially if he gets hurt again.

And he gets hurt every year.. for a player that is healthy for 8-9 games trading his contract makes sense. He's one of the best players we've ever seen, but his body is wearing down.

13 hours ago, TXAintsHater said:

Or he expects somebody to trade up.

13 hours ago, jidady said:

He thinks QBs go 1-4. That's not the same as us taking one. Everybody in the league knows we'll trade back if we get the right offer.

If SF would just come out and say they're taking Mac Jones (or Lance), we could get something done. People are doing contingencies right now and aren't going to trade until they see #3, though. And I think the Falcons really do like the idea of drafting Pitts. So, I don't necessarily agree with him.

Yeah, you're both more likely correct. I had my critical thinking cap dry cleaned and it was shrunk when it came back.