2018 all over again

Julio Jones leaving ATL is being heavily rumored. ATL is likely to take a pass catcher in the draft. People are speculating he will be Julio's replacement, not to be a 1-2 punch duo. Should ATL take a pass catcher, it will appeal to a good portion of the fans. Tell me that does NOT sound like 2018. Obviously there are some differences, but I found that almost funny how similar they were on that front.

Where does Calvin Ridley's 2020 season rank in Falcons history?

NFL Draft 2021: Dolphins get more than just a TE with Kyle Pitts at No. 6 -  SBNation.com

3 hours ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

Julio Jones leaving ATL is being heavily rumored. ATL is likely to take a pass catcher in the draft. People are speculating he will be Julio's replacement, not to be a 1-2 punch duo. Should ATL take a pass catcher, it will appeal to a good portion of the fans. Tell me that does NOT sound like 2018. Obviously there are some differences, but I found that almost funny how similar they were on that front.

NFL Draft 2021: Dolphins get more than just a TE with Kyle Pitts at No. 6 -  SBNation.com

Pitts isn't replacing Julio in his rookie year. Smart money is to play him with Julio, Ridley and Hurst. No big benefit for. Falcons in trading Julio in 2021 with the dead money. Julio can be traded in next offseason, if the new staff wants to pull the trigger.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Pitts isn't replacing Julio in his rookie year. Smart money is to play him with Julio, Ridley and Hurst. No big benefit for. Falcons in trading Julio in 2021 with the dead money. Julio can be traded in next offseason, if the new staff wants to pull the trigger.

Not to mention the fact that if we do draft Pitts or Chase, Julio would help either a great deal getting situated in the NFL. Just like Roddy did with Julio and Horn did with Roddy

While I think the chances of us wanting to trade Julio are real. I wonder if TF let this get out, along with the chances of taking Pitts, to put pressure on Julio to re-do, not restructure, but re-do his deal.

While the news is out he's killing 2 birds with one stone saying well if JJ11 doesn't re-do the deal he'll make it known that he's willing to deal him.

6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Better a year early than a year late. The inevitable is coming. If he gets hurt again his value tanks.

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Better a year early than a year late. The inevitable is coming. If he gets hurt again his value tanks.

Anything less than a first round pick to start conversation isn't good value for taking 23M dead cap in next two years. A first and second and may be one additional pick in 2022. 

No replacing the great ones, but I do believe it can be manufactured via weight redistribution. All I know is it better be a killer deal. Dangit 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Everyone needs to take a step back and realize something.  

I was saying the same thing with Tony Gonzalez.

There is no replacing Julio Jones. He is one of a kind.

Ridley is good but let’s be honest, he’s not Julio.

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Everyone needs to take a step back and realize something.  

I was saying the same thing with Tony Gonzalez.

There is no replacing Julio Jones. He is one of a kind.

Ridley is good but let’s be honest, he’s not Julio.

Then again who is ??

6 hours ago, Speezy said:

Hate to say it, but the Sacred Cow Syndrome surrounding Julio is part of what got us into this cap conundrum in the first place. We gave a grip and got more than reasonable rate of return, and we can still capitalize while his stock is still high enough!

What got the Falcons into this cap situation isn’t paying to keep guys like Ryan and Julio. What got the Falcons where they are was years of horrible drafting leading us to years of horrific free agency spending on horrible players like Carpenter and Brown. Good drafting teams aren’t forced to sign bad players to big free agency deals.

6 hours ago, Speezy said:

Hate to say it, but the Sacred Cow Syndrome surrounding Julio is part of what got us into this cap conundrum in the first place. We gave a grip and got more than reasonable rate of return, and we can still capitalize while his stock is still high enough!

For like the millionth time.

We have the cap issues because the cap was lowered by 17 million.

This was the first year that the cap declined in who knows how long.

Had it been any other year then the cap would have gone up and we would have had to make minimal moves to get under.

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I thought so too until I looked it up. They free up practically nothing (less than 2 mil) trading him next year. Most of the post June 1st free space this year is roster and per game bonuses I think. Either way I don't want us moving him, but I thought that was surprising

14 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

What got the Falcons into this cap situation isn’t paying to keep guys like Ryan and Julio. What got the Falcons where they are was years of horrible drafting leading us to years of horrific free agency spending on horrible players like Carpenter and Brown. Good drafting teams aren’t forced to sign bad players to big free agency deals.

Bad drafting/FA’s I agree is the bigger culprit, but the caked up contracts had a part in this mess.

7 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

For like the millionth time.

We have the cap issues because the cap was lowered by 17 million.

This was the first year that the cap declined in who knows how long.

Had it been any other year then the cap would have gone up and we would have had to make minimal moves to get under.

Less lines to untangle for sure, but still some difficult decisions to deal with.

16 minutes ago, Speezy said:

Less lines to untangle for sure, but still some difficult decisions to deal with.

Not really.

Assuming it went up at the rate it did from 19 to 20 then we would have only been 4 million in the hole( instead of going up by 9 million, it went down 17)

Rico, Bailey, and Benkert saved the Falcons 10 million.

So just like that we would be 6 million under.

Carpenter saved 6 million so that is 12 million under...and that is before any restructure or any other cut.

57 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Not really.

Assuming it went up at the rate it did from 19 to 20 then we would have only been 4 million in the hole( instead of going up by 9 million, it went down 17)

Rico, Bailey, and Benkert saved the Falcons 10 million.

So just like that we would be 6 million under.

Carpenter saved 6 million so that is 12 million under...and that is before any restructure or any other cut.

Agree a premature contact extension is not what is solely holding us back. Unfortunately these are the circumstances we face now not what could have been. The woulda-coulda does sound way more chill, though. This was going to be a strenuous offseason regardless of COVID cap constraints.

11 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I don't think Julio's Value will ever tank. I think the only reason Julio did not play as much last season is that, it would have been a waste of time. Even when injured, he's a real threat.

21 hours ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

What’s really crazy is his legs look like the CB’s and his arms look like the receivers. Crazy combo pic