Julio contract being looked at for possible trade on draft night.

50 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

The question was asked on 92.9 the game this morning: Can the Falcons trade Julio DURING the draft and make his contract situation take effect in June. The answer was yes. I'm not privy to how that stuff works, just repeating what was said by the former NFL player on the radio that is cohosting the show I was listening to...

Well that is interesting. Additional first rounder. Bam!! We're trading up to 1 for Lawrence. 🤣🤣

48 minutes ago, jidady said:

But Julio already counts against that cap. So, you're counting him twice that way. He's $23 million either way. The only difference is whether we add the $200k.

No solution is ideal here, but if we can get more compensation by trading him this week, we can and should do it.

Having said that, I'm not convinced the Falcons want that compensation. They may prefer it for 2022 as part of a two-year roster reconstruction.

But it's 23 million spread over 2 years if after June 1. Prior it's 23 mill this year. We'd have to cut everyone. Hahaha

I don't think it's feasible this year at all. The catch is, after this year, his cap hit isn't even that much if he stays healthy and can produce. 15 mil and then 11 mil the following year. Give him a year under AS and if he stays healthy, his value only increases.

I think something is definitely possible down the road, and they might even be thinking that way. He would be the first in consideration to free up future cap.

53 minutes ago, Beef said:

Gage isn’t going anywhere, IMO.  He’s really cheap for great quality.

Gono is a $3.4M expensive unproven backup, however.

Yeah I never understood why he got such a big tender. They could've taken the option just under that and then grabbed any compensation if someone stole him. Since they opted for the highest option, I don't see him going anywhere. They wanted him here.

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

it’s unlikely we’ll be able to get FMV for this player.

Thus, trading him now makes no sense. 

I mean, it makes *perfect* sense if we get FMV. You're just assuming we won't.

53 minutes ago, jidady said:

Yeah, I think people have slept on Gage a bit. PFF had him at 76.4 last year, with Ridley at 84.9. We've got really good WRs right now.

Yeah I think Oliver would go first, but if we drafted a receiver type in the first, there just might be no way to get him the ball. I expect he'll be here for a bit.

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Stories like this is why I'm happy I don't take sports that serious. 

Same anymore. However, I’d honestly would be ok with trading him though and as a Bama fan I’ve been following Julio since his senior year at Foley High School. Time marches on man. That’s all I’m saying. 32 years old. Big bodied reliever. Guys like that fall off a cliff career wise. 

15 minutes ago, jidady said:

I mean, it makes *perfect* sense if we get FMV. You're just assuming we won't.

Which for the reasons I gave, is 100X more rational than those of you assuming we will. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Which for the reasons I gave, is 100X more rational than those of you assuming we will. 

Yes but you're also enumerating the reasons why Atlanta is listening to offers and should trade him if they get FMV.

2 hours ago, jidady said:

Yes but you're also enumerating the reasons why Atlanta is listening to offers and should trade him if they get FMV.

Everybody listens to offers to certain extent. You’re assuming that means something. 

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Julio has to be able to stay on the field for teams to believe he's worth a 1st.

He's already 32 year's old and has an injury history. Teams will shy away from the thought of giving up a 1st for him because he can't help any team if he's not on the field.

Teams don't give up a 1st round pick for a player does on the sideline or looker room. He has to show he can be consistently available to play.

Julio’s had 2 seasons with where he’s missed a significant amount of games.The last time was 2013.Consistently available to play hmmm how bout consistently been the best WRer in football since 2014 does that count for anything or don’t teams look at that.

This injury narrative around Julio is skewed and off the mark vs what he is as a player.

8 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Julio’s had 2 seasons with where he’s missed a significant amount of games.The last time was 2013.Consistently available to play hmmm how bout consistently been the best WRer in football since 2014 does that count for anything or don’t teams look at that.

This injury narrative around Julio is skewed and off the mark vs what he is as a player.

Julio has had hamstring problems that led him to miss a good bit of last season.

At 32 and missing a good bit of time recently, teams are not going to be willing to give up a 1st rounder for him.

Julio may have to prove some things next season before teams are willing to give up a 1st rounder.

I could see the Falcons getting a lesser round pick that could turn into a 1st rounder if he hits certain incentives.

The Julio injury history narrative is over exaggerated.

This my point he’s only missed significant time in 2 of his seasons as a pro.

32 isn’t old LBJ is 36 and still playing at a high level I see nothing that suggests Julio could not do similar.Hes a leave no stone unturned type so he’ll be good to go when the season kicks off.

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

WR is a physically taxing position to play. Jones has actually been one of the more durable receivers in league for most of his career.

How many games does overrated Odell Beckham routinely miss? Stefan Diggs and Michael Thomas usually miss more games than Julio does. Our own Calvin Ridley missed 3 games in ‘19, another game last year....there wasn’t any gnashing of teeth about him being ‘injury prone’. 

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

I knew it was a joke. You didn't upset me

Cool. My mistake.

Hey, maybe the Falcons take Fields and he sits for a couple years. Would that be a first? Committed financially to a QB for 2 offseason but take a QB top 5? Just a weird position. So badly run this franchise has been...lately anyway. Maybe that stops now.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

WR is a physically taxing position to play. Jones has actually been one of the more durable receivers in league for most of his career.

How many games does overrated Odell Beckham routinely miss? Stefan Diggs and Michael Thomas usually miss more games than Julio does. Our own Calvin Ridley missed 3 games in ‘19, another game last year....there wasn’t any gnashing of teeth about him being ‘injury prone’. 

I just dislike the injured narrative all the time bought up on here like it’s a common appearance yet the ones saying it don’t bring up stuff like the 2016 campaign where he had turf toe and basically still put the Falcon offense on his back.

To me the whole Julio and injuries narrative is a hoax.He’s no different to any other player that has a physical element his game they are going to get dinged it’s inevitable.

He's approaching Legendary status.  He has a few more great years in him.  We are known to be underwater with cap.  So I am not surprised that any team who needs a catching threat would reach out to take the temperature.  

I don't think we'll move on Jones.  I do assume at least 4-5 teams would be interested.  

Only 3 more days of mock draft threads!!!