Should we trade back or take Pitts?

Trade Back or Stay at 4 for Pitts  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Trade Back or Stay at 4 for Pitts?

• Draft Pitts at #4
    • Trade Back (For a good deal)

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Corey Davis, Brown, Jonu Smith did some serious damage in the red zone. They are better talent than JAGs we have on the roster outside of Ridley.  Falcons Receiving options are way overrated on this board. No wonder AS didn’t mention any one outside of Ridley.

It's the Ryan effect.

Matt makes receivers look good (cough HD cough) and people think we have a good WR core. 

Then the receivers go elsewhere and show that they are in fact, JAGs. 

31 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Or it can be viewed from the other angle...if we stay at #4 and select Pitts, he is valued at two (2) 1st roudners and two (2) second rounders, becuae that is what we cna get for that pick...Thats too rich for a TE...even just moving back to #7 with DET for an extra 2nd rounder is better...

Pitts is not worth #4 in a regular draft when there isn't trade up interest for two QBs....hes a TE...No WRs, TEs, or RBs in the first round...ever...

Whoa re the best TEs in the league right now?

Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Tonyan, Gesiki, Ertz, Andrews, Hooper none in the 1st round...TEs of recent that were at the top of the game Gronk, Graham, Olson, Cook, Gates, Gonzalez, Witten...none in 1st round..

The value isnt there regardless of his unicorn features...

You can get really good TEs in later rounds (ie Tremble), plus we already have one on the roster...I think its QB or trade back...

Ask yourself this...would you rather have Pitts....or get the #1 CB (who would normally go in Top 6 most years and get a pass rusher (Phillips, Ossai, Oweh, etc)? Plus a 1st rounder next year to use on replacing Julio/Calvin?

That makes no sense.. This isnt some 3rd rounder who comes to learn the job and become a good player in year 3 like the TE's you mentioned.. this is someone with the physical gifts of a Calvin Johnson or another Julio at the TE position - something we haven't seen in literally 20 years. Everything checks out for Pitts, the mindset, the production, the tape, the measurables, EVERYTHING. He has basically 0 bust potential outside of injury, at worst he'll be as good as Hurst, at best he could be a 2nd Julio after we cant afford to pay Julio any longer. If you knew Kelce or Kittle would become what they are now, you take them top 5 also - they are absolute game wreckers. The value is there if you truly have an offense built to use them, and if we keep Ryan at QB and not some bust QB like Fields or Mac, then we can use a potential HOF TE to match opposite our HOF WR and top 10 WR. 

I agree getting a huge haul of picks for more defensive players is probably the better option, but if its just a 3rd round pick to move back 3 spots and lose out on Pitts, its not worth it. It should require 2 first round picks to even get TF to consider taking the phonecall right now, if he's as smart as he thinks he is. 

29 minutes ago, marvinthemartian said:

I’m fine either way but it would take almost a Herschel Walker type of trade for me to trade down. We are in a win/win situation. We can’t possibly screw this up..........(last sentence in very deep purple)

Very easy to screw this up and prove the TF is an Aint's plant... if he drafts a QB anywhere in the first 4 rounds. Then we know we're basically f*cked as a franchise for another 10 years.

9 minutes ago, Snowen said:

That makes no sense.. This isnt some 3rd rounder who comes to learn the job and become a good player in year 3 like the TE's you mentioned.. this is someone with the physical gifts of a Calvin Johnson or another Julio at the TE position - something we haven't seen in literally 20 years. Everything checks out for Pitts, the mindset, the production, the tape, the measurables, EVERYTHING. He has basically 0 bust potential outside of injury, at worst he'll be as good as Hurst, at best he could be a 2nd Julio after we cant afford to pay Julio any longer. If you knew Kelce or Kittle would become what they are now, you take them top 5 also - they are absolute game wreckers. The value is there if you truly have an offense built to use them, and if we keep Ryan at QB and not some bust QB like Fields or Mac, then we can use a potential HOF TE to match opposite our HOF WR and top 10 WR. 

I agree getting a huge haul of picks for more defensive players is probably the better option, but if its just a 3rd round pick to move back 3 spots and lose out on Pitts, its not worth it. It should require 2 first round picks to even get TF to consider taking the phonecall right now, if he's as smart as he thinks he is. 

Yeah that sums it up nicely. 

Pitts bust potential is the lowest outside of ... well... anyone really. 

Pretty much all pundits and media are unanimous (which *never* happens typically) that he is the absolute BPA in the draft. If our entire strategy is build in FA and take BPA in draft... Pitts is a no-brainer and potential All-Pro, game-wrecking TE. 

Tough to say, but I think there is a big drop off after Pitts, Chase, and Sewall, so I want a lot to move outside the top 7-8 and miss them. I don’t see a huge difference in the guys who will go after the big three and the 5 QBs in the 9-20 range, so I am willing to get a haul to move to NE or WFT’s spot. Get someone like Moehrig, Horn, Vera-Tucker, or one of the DL and a boatload of picks

1 hour ago, Snowen said:

It's gonna take a LOT to trade back out of drafting Pitts.. At least 2 future first round picks IMO. (2022 1st, 2023 1st) - Anything less and no thanks.

Even if its Detroit trying to move up 2 spots, where yes we could still get Sewell potentially, its not worth it unless its at minimum next year 1st from a bad team. Pitts is worth more than 2 first round picks in the grand scheme of a career.

My ideal non-Pitts draft would be getting like 2022 1st + 2023 1st + 2022 3rd, and going back to a spot like Denver where we can still draft Horn, Parsons or Surtain. That'd be ideal if the staff doesn't think Pitts is the next TG.

2 first rounders?? Your shooting too low brother if it ain't 3 gtfoh

1 hour ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

2 first rounders?? Your shooting too low brother if it ain't 3 gtfoh

I meant the pick for this year to pick at say Pick 9 + 2 first rounders.. so basically 3 first round picks (I hate that gets confusing when people talk about like the Julio trade..)

6 hours ago, Snowen said:

Very easy to screw this up and prove the TF is an Aint's plant... if he drafts a QB anywhere in the first 4 rounds. Then we know we're basically f*cked as a franchise for another 10 years.

QBs selected in the 5th and 7th rounds have a 6% success rate. You're looking at Practice Squad guys like Benkert. 6th round isn't much better. We do need a backup.

Let's remember a majority of the picks in 1st won't live up the hype. Only a select few will be stars maybe 5 to 10 percent, another 25 very good to players, most average and the rest below average. The media makes it out to be very player will be a star. 

There are no guarantees but if the Falcs go with Pitts I like my chances. If they trade down TF better make the right choices or the Falcons could get the short end of the stick in the the trade.Pitts becomes a star and Falcs left with a good player and the others ok. Many ways you can look at the draft.

I'm kinda surprised so many people want to take a TE at #4. I look at it like he may be one of the better options to take at #4, but not at all my preference.

We all know that we HAVE to improve the run game and defense (yes I know no one on D is worth the 4th pick). And he doesn't help the run game at all. Or very minimal at best. 

Take  Pitts unless we can trade down and still get Pitts. Lot of plyers will be let go after the draft to fix most of what this team needs. Draft for other needs after taking Pitts. If Dallas wants Pitts I would do everything in my power to keep them from getting him. Some because I so dislike Dallas. Mostly because I think Pitts could help the Falcons end the troubles inside the redzone!!! 

10 hours ago, Drunken Minotaur Zebra said:

I have been flip flopping over this decision, but I think I have decided that with 9 draft picks... *unless* we get a too good to be true trade back deal, we should take Pitts.

Me too bro, I’ve been all over the place with so many great options, but I’ve decided the great pocket QBs seem to go hand in hand with great TEs. And the reason is matchups. This is how they advance in playoffs, a great TE offers them the ability to exploit weaknesses in a defense a myriad of ways in running and passing game. It’s easier to disguise coverages.

Lets get Ryan an all world TE for the remaining 5 or more years he’ll be playing here. 

30 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I'm kinda surprised so many people want to take a TE at #4. I look at it like he may be one of the better options to take at #4, but not at all my preference.

We all know that we HAVE to improve the run game and defense (yes I know no one on D is worth the 4th pick). And he doesn't help the run game at all. Or very minimal at best. 

Falcons can grab a RB later in the draft not at #4. Pitts can open the run game and play action passing  with  matchup problems. The teams would have to start taking LB who can't keep up in coverage with DB. Catch the defenses in Dime look and run down their throats. Falcons Run game would be much better if they stop signing washed up RB with knee problems. 

I'm starting to think ATL may not have much of a choice but to stay at 4. 

The most likely scenario is the first 3 picks are QBs. That leaves 2 of the 5 obvious 1st round QBs on the board when Atlanta picks. If 90% of TATF has figured out that restructuring Ryan's contract is a huge signal that the Falcons won't be selecting a QB, then it's naive to think that other teams haven't also recognized that. i.e., TF can try and bluff all he wants, but his move to push Ryan's dead money into the future makes it just that...bluffing. If you don't think ATL is taking a QB, why trade up to the 4th spot? 

Up next is #5 Cincy and #6 Miami. Both teams have 2nd year QBs they just drafted in the 1st round, neither is taking a QB. 

Maybe #7 Detroit? Maybe #8 Carolina? Both made offseason moves to acquire new QBs that are both still very young. If you're Denver, and you want a new QB, you can stay at #9 and get one. The chances that BOTH of the next two QBs go ahead of you is highly unlikely. 

If you're New England, Washington, or Chicago - the only other teams who are ever mentioned as looking to take a QB - why waste capital trading up to #4 when you can spend less to get to #7-8 and jump in front of Denver? i'm not saying no team will call Atlanta to inquire, i'm saying they won't feel desperate to give up the farm to get to #4.

That leaves teams looking to trade up to #4 for a non-QB... "Jerry is infatuated with Pitts" is the only scenario of that kind that has been discussed (because Jerry is considered crazy enough to do it). But unless Dallas is willing to give up multiple future 1st rounders, it's probably not a great deal for Atlanta. 

So yeah, if the choice is Pitts or a meh trade offer (the one that had Atlanta giving up picks to Denver to move back is an example of crappy trade), i'd take Pitts. 

It does seem weird that most of TATF complains about Atlanta not having a good enough running game and Ryan not getting sufficient pass protection and the Offense never getting any help from the D, yet a large number of those same folks think adding a TE (even an elite one) to the roster is somehow gonna be a game-changer. 🤔

Just now, Kaptain Krazy said:

I'm starting to think ATL may not have much of a choice but to stay at 4. 

The most likely scenario is the first 3 picks are QBs. That leaves 2 of the 5 obvious 1st round QBs on the board when Atlanta picks. If 90% of TATF has figured out that restructuring Ryan's contract is a huge signal that the Falcons won't be selecting a QB, then it's naive to think that other teams haven't also recognized that. i.e., TF can try and bluff all he wants, but his move to push Ryan's dead money into the future makes it just that...bluffing. If you don't think ATL is taking a QB, why trade up to the 4th spot? 

Up next is #5 Cincy and #6 Miami. Both teams have 2nd year QBs they just drafted in the 1st round, neither is taking a QB. 

Maybe #7 Detroit? Maybe #8 Carolina? Both made offseason moves to acquire new QBs that are both still very young. If you're Denver, and you want a new QB, you can stay at #9 and get one. The chances that BOTH of the next two QBs go ahead of you is highly unlikely. 

If you're New England, Washington, or Chicago - the only other teams who are ever mentioned as looking to take a QB - why waste capital trading up to #4 when you can spend less to get to #7-8 and jump in front of Denver? i'm not saying no team will call Atlanta to inquire, i'm saying they won't feel desperate to give up the farm to get to #4.

That leaves teams looking to trade up to #4 for a non-QB... "Jerry is infatuated with Pitts" is the only scenario of that kind that has been discussed (because Jerry is considered crazy enough to do it). But unless Dallas is willing to give up multiple future 1st rounders, it's probably not a great deal for Atlanta. 

So yeah, if the choice is Pitts or a meh trade offer (the one that had Atlanta giving up picks to Denver to move back is an example of crappy trade), i'd take Pitts. 

It does seem weird that most of TATF complains about Atlanta not having a good enough running game and Ryan not getting sufficient pass protection and the Offense never getting any help from the D, yet a large number of those same folks think adding a TE (even an elite one) to the roster is somehow gonna be a game-changer. 🤔

Chargers could be one of those teams moving up to grab Sewell before Bengals do at 5. But Would Chargers give up draft capital to protect Hebert? It may be too much for them to move from 13. Same could be said for NE, price will be too high.

15 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Falcons can grab a RB later in the draft not at #4. Pitts can open the run game and play action passing  with  matchup problems. The teams would have to start taking LB who can't keep up in coverage with DB. Catch the defenses in Dime look and run down their throats. Falcons Run game would be much better if they stop signing washed up RB with knee problems. 

I agree with the last part. I definitely wasn't implying we take a RB at 4 either just to be specific. I just don't see his mismatch problems helping our run game. If he is the inline TE, dudes gonna get blown up if we run the ball. And if he is in the slot then I don't see his blocking being THAT important  out there. 

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe he does have some game changing type effect on our run game. 

Just now, Clark Kent™ said:

I agree with the last part. I definitely wasn't implying we take a RB at 4 either just to be specific. I just don't see his mismatch problems helping our run game. If he is the inline TE, dudes gonna get blown up if we run the ball. And if he is in the slot then I don't see his blocking being THAT important  out there. 

Maybe I'm wrong though. Maybe he does have some game changing type effect on our run game. 

Why would he get blown-up? 

10 minutes ago, Clark Kent™ said:

I agree with the last part. I definitely wasn't implying we take a RB at 4 either just to be specific. I just don't see his mismatch problems helping our run game. If he is the inline TE, dudes gonna get blown up if we run the ball. And if he is in the slot then I don't see his blocking being THAT important  out there

Laurent Robinson? Is that you?

But I digress... My first hope for next week is that we nab Pitts. Otherwise, I want to trade back. If we grab Fields or Lance, I'm not going to be upset. If we took Arthur's favorite receiver, I would be shocked but not unhappy. It'll take a lot to tick me off this year.

10 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Or it can be viewed from the other angle...if we stay at #4 and select Pitts, he is valued at two (2) 1st roudners and two (2) second rounders, becuae that is what we cna get for that pick...Thats too rich for a TE...even just moving back to #7 with DET for an extra 2nd rounder is better...

Pitts is not worth #4 in a regular draft when there isn't trade up interest for two QBs....hes a TE...No WRs, TEs, or RBs in the first round...ever...

Whoa re the best TEs in the league right now?

Kelce, Kittle, Waller, Tonyan, Gesiki, Ertz, Andrews, Hooper none in the 1st round...TEs of recent that were at the top of the game Gronk, Graham, Olson, Cook, Gates, Gonzalez, Witten...none in 1st round..

The value isnt there regardless of his unicorn features...

You can get really good TEs in later rounds (ie Tremble), plus we already have one on the roster...I think its QB or trade back...

Ask yourself this...would you rather have Pitts....or get the #1 CB (who would normally go in Top 6 most years and get a pass rusher (Phillips, Ossai, Oweh, etc)? Plus a 1st rounder next year to use on replacing Julio/Calvin?

Not sure why this got so many downvotes.  I agree with you.  I don’t think there is another game changing TE in this draft, as it’s pretty weak, but I agree with the rest of your points.  I would be much happier with a trade down.  But if we can’t find a deal worth taking, Pitts would be really fun in smiths offense and I wouldn’t be mad by any means all said and done.  I just hope we can fleece a desperate team and work on rebuilding that defense.

8 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Why would he get blown-up? 

Because he isn't a strong blocker. And even solid blockers in college don't typically come into the league and block well their rookie season. Now yeah on the outside he obviously should be a good blocker with this size, but as far as being inline, he ain't helping unless its in the form of a mismatch. In my opinion of course. 

REALLY depends on the deal.

Pitts could be our next Julio/Metcalf/Megatron  at the WR position. Those position players do not grow on trees.

IF Denver/Dallas/Washington etc come at up with a handful of RIGHT NOW picks that allow us to fill multiple needs in rounds 2-3 AND a future 1st I believe we will pull the trigger.

But it has to be a WHALE of a deal.