Is it even possible for the Falcons to win the super bowl in 2021 with a new coaching staff?

1 hour ago, Alomar said:

Keep in mind that this 4-12 team would have won quite a few more games if not for some really dumb coaching moves and mental errors (not jumping on the ball on the onside kick in the Dallas game, Gurley not going into the end zone just to name a couple). This 4-12 team could have been a playoff team last year IF not for those issues. This 4-12 team has/had the talent to be a playoff team last year, so why not this upcoming year?! I don't expect them to win the SB this upcoming year, even if they nail the draft, but it is possible.

Came here for this. REMEMBER, most teams that are bad, (IE the Jets, The Jags, the lions) are bad because they make horrible personnel choices. We have some pieces in place and really were a 9 win team last year if not for the worst coaching in modern history. What did we lose, 3 games that were 99% winnable? We had the eventual SB champs on the ropes at the half. We had the defending champs completely handled. But we blew both. 

Coaching alone makes us a 8-9, 9-8 team. Plus there is 1 more playoff spot yah? Playoff bound man, playoff bound.

From a fans perspective, I’m looking at everything gearing up for a possible Super Bowl run in 2022,2023 and 2024 with Ryan still here. 

Yes, it could happen this year but very unlikely. I’m looking for a team to start off looking slight rough around the edges and start finding it’s rhythm the second half of the year, hopefully a wildcard but as long as we finish strong it will give us all much more hope during off-season next year we are in the mix.

5 minutes ago, gazoo said:

From a fans perspective, I’m looking at everything gearing up for a possible Super Bowl run in 2022,2023 and 2024 with Ryan still here. 

Yes, it could happen next year but very unlikely. I’m looking for a team to start off looking slight rough around the edges and start finding it’s rhythm the second half of the year, hopefully a wildcard but as long as we finish strong it will give us all much more hope during off-season next year we are in the mix.

I think second year is sweet spot for HC to be in SB. 
2016: DQ second year. Should have won the **** thing. 

2017 : Doug Peederson won SB in second year with Philly.

2018: Sean McVay in second season with Rams. 

2019:: Shanny was third but injuries were problem in his second season

2020: Bruce Arians Second year in TB and SB win. 

Draft well, bring in more players. Keep adding talent. Too early to worry about SB year. 

Likely, no.

But imagine the OL gels, we take Pitts/chase, and a mid round RB.  That could easily be a top offense.

Imagine a couple young guys on D (Davidson, Cominsky, Sheffield, etc.) develop and a couple of the defensive rookies come in swinging.

Imagine Smith and Pees are good coaches.  This could be a top 5 offense and middling defense that gets turnovers.

It's not hard to see how this could be a pretty good team (if a few things go right)

Would we be the best team in the league?  No.  But that doesn't matter once you're in the playoffs.  Ryan/Rid/Julio get hot for 3 games and our defense gets a few turnovers and you hoist the trophy.

All about getting to the 2nd season and having guys who can make a difference there.

7 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I can't think of any head coach that's won the super bowl their first season with a new team in recent NFL history. Especially a rookie head coach. 

If the Falcons nail the draft they will definitely be a super bowl contender on paper. Kyle Pitts would certainly make our offense a championship caliber offense on paper. A couple of good defensive picks and good coaching can make the defense good enough.

I would like to believe that every season the Falcons have a chance to win the super bowl. But for the first time since 2015 I just can't seem to get my hopes up because of the unlikelihood of a rookie coach and GM turning a 4-12 team into a super bowl team in one season. I DO think that the Falcons have the talent to win the super bowl in 2021 IF they nail the draft. But it usually takes until year 2 or 3 for a new coach to turn a team into a super bowl contender. Your thoughts?

Is this a joke ??

59 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Yes, it could happen next year but very unlikely. I’m looking for a team to start off looking slight rough around the edges and start finding it’s rhythm the second half of the year, hopefully a wildcard but as long as we finish strong it will give us all much more hope during off-season next year we are in the mix.

That's what I am expecting as well. Definitely a wild card spot in 2021. Falcons haven't missed the playoffs 4 years in a row since the 80's.

51 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

Likely, no.

But imagine the OL gels, we take Pitts/chase, and a mid round RB.  That could easily be a top offense.

Imagine a couple young guys on D (Davidson, Cominsky, Sheffield, etc.) develop and a couple of the defensive rookies come in swinging.

Imagine Smith and Pees are good coaches.  This could be a top 5 offense and middling defense that gets turnovers.

It's not hard to see how this could be a pretty good team (if a few things go right)

Would we be the best team in the league?  No.  But that doesn't matter once you're in the playoffs.  Ryan/Rid/Julio get hot for 3 games and our defense gets a few turnovers and you hoist the trophy.

All about getting to the 2nd season and having guys who can make a difference there.

I like the optimism here.

6 hours ago, Alomar said:

Keep in mind that this 4-12 team would have won quite a few more games if not for some really dumb coaching moves and mental errors (not jumping on the ball on the onside kick in the Dallas game, Gurley not going into the end zone just to name a couple). This 4-12 team could have been a playoff team last year IF not for those issues. This 4-12 team has/had the talent to be a playoff team last year, so why not this upcoming year?! I don't expect them to win the SB this upcoming year, even if they nail the draft, but it is possible.

AJ Terrell's would have been interception 

As I've said 100 times, its impossible to predict how much a team will improve, if at all, after a HC change.

For instance just getting a competent OL coach could be all we need for MVP Matt, and a reliable run game.

There are just too many variables to account for. I.m.o the problem has been WAY more of a coaching concern as it has been a roster problem. It wouldn't shock me for us to turn around and put up 30+ppg all year. The defense is going to improve significantly just from coaching alone.

I could see this year being a year where we catch lightning in a bottle.

5 minutes ago, WH dirtybird said:

I could be wrong but didn’t Barry Switzer  with Cowboys do it? I know he was a college coach forever and had Jimmie Johnson’s team but still.

I must correct myself. I looked it up it was in his second year. The first year he made it to the nfc tittle game. 

I will sign off the thread with one last thing. 
This is the year to get ring for Julio with Ryan. One may be on the team for 2-3 years but both unlikely beyond this year or next. If TF  and AS doesn’t  get too cute in draft. I can see lot of motivation to come back to winning ways. Hey who knows if you stay relevant in January.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:09 AM, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I can't think of any head coach that's won the super bowl their first season with a new team in recent NFL history. Especially a rookie head coach. 

If the Falcons nail the draft they will definitely be a super bowl contender on paper. Kyle Pitts would certainly make our offense a championship caliber offense on paper. A couple of good defensive picks and good coaching can make the defense good enough.

I would like to believe that every season the Falcons have a chance to win the super bowl. But for the first time since 2015 I just can't seem to get my hopes up because of the unlikelihood of a rookie coach and GM turning a 4-12 team into a super bowl team in one season. I DO think that the Falcons have the talent to win the super bowl in 2021 IF they nail the draft. But it usually takes until year 2 or 3 for a new coach to turn a team into a super bowl contender. Your thoughts?

I dont think many people think we will be in the superbowl this year, you are totally unrealistic. But if we get to the playoffs and have  improvements  in offense and a more coordination and accountability in defense, MOST would be good with that. 

16 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I will sign off the thread with one last thing. 
This is the year to get ring for Julio with Ryan. One may be on the team for 2-3 years but both unlikely beyond this year or next. If TF  and AS doesn’t  get too cute in draft. I can see lot of motivation to come back to winning ways. Hey who knows if you stay relevant in January.

My mortal weakness