NFL approves expansion of positional jersey number limits

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-passes-rule-expanding-eligible-jersey-numbers

NFL fans, get ready for a trove of jersey number change fun.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that NFL owners approved the proposal on changes to jersey numbers, per sources informed of the situation.

The proposal, submitted by the Kansas City Chiefs, adjusted the restrictions on who can wear which jersey numbers. Specifically, the approval unlocks the number of players eligible to wear single-digit numbers, which had previously been relegated to QBs, kickers and punters.

The expanded jerseys will allow running backs, tight ends, fullbacks, H-backs and wide receivers to wear numbers 1-49 and 80-89; defensive backs can choose from 1-49; linebackers 1-59 and 90-99; offensive linemen 50-79; and defensive linemen 50-79 and 90-99. QBs, kickers and punters will remain in 1-19.

Expanded practice squads due to the COVID-19 led to some number issues for certain clubs last year, precipitating the number use change.

A plethora of players could look to change numbers, particularly skill position players and defensive backs who might move to single-digit numbers they wore in college or younger years.

Other issues undertaken by the clubs during Wednesday's meeting, per Pelissero:

1. The league approved expanded booth-to-official communication. The hope is the increase in allowed communication will lead to fewer errors on objective calls that can be clearly seen on television.
  2. A onside kick proposal from the competition committee to limit the receiving team to players in the "setup zone" was approved. The hope is that the tweak will help make onside kicks easier for the kicking teams to recover.
  3. With the competition committee's proposal on onside kicks passing, the Eagles tabled their fourth-and-15 alternative. Pelissero noted that Philly still believes in its motion to add a fourth-and-15 option to retain possession but agreed to test out the onside kick change this year. The Eagles could bring back their proposal next year.
  4. Owners eliminated preseason overtime. It was a no-brainer change. Coaches often avoided tying preseason games late, but the rule ensures playing overtime won't be an option in exhibition games.
  5. The proposal to change the GM and head coach hiring cycles -- pushing back the start of interviews for all clubs until after conference championship games and no hires until after the Super Bowl -- was tabled for more discussion by the diversity committee, per Pelissero. The Buffalo Bills proposed the change to the cycle.
  6. Owners approved a rule proposed by Chicago to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive extra point try attempts.
  7. The league approved a rule propose by the Los Angeles Rams to add a loss of down to a penalty for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.

According to Pelissero, one point of emphasis in the NFL competition committee's report will be focused on taunting, per chairman Rich McKay. Pelissero adds that the feeling within the coaches' subcommittee is officials have gotten lax on players going face to face, standing over people, pointing fingers, etc. They won't focus so much on touchdown celebrations in this regard, but expect more flags to be thrown.

• Romfal changed the title to NFL approves expansion of positional jersey number limits
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my first reaction is I hate it. As a non college ball follower single digit TE's CB's and RB's just seem weird...

Them fatties will be lining up for number 1...it’s so slimming 😂 

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

It's really not that big of a deal

I very rarely watch college ball and mostly watch tape as a way to prep for the draft, I'm sure for those who watch college football weekly its normal to have anything and everything at all the positions. When I started following the sport, having a number breakdown was actually helpful in learning all the positions easily. My 2 cents

1 minute ago, Romfal said:

I very rarely watch college ball, I'm sure for those who do its normal to have anything and everything at all the positions. When I started following the sport, having a number breakdown was actually helpful in learning all the positions easily. My 2 cents

Yes but now that you know the game I'm assuming, it shouldn't matter. 

4 minutes ago, Romfal said:

technically if hes listed as a lineman he could. I'm pretty sure this was the case already. Nobis may have been before the current system was put in place. 

Yeah, must've gotten in just before it.  Most of the LB greats wore 50-59. Main ones wearing in the 60's are Nobis (60), Nitschke (66) and Bednarik (also 60) and the last two started playing before Nobis did. 

28 minutes ago, M@ck said:

Will Julio switch to #8? 😯

I saw theres one rule that you have to purchase the entire inventory of your jersey if you want to switch this year. no penalty if you switch next year but you have to give notice this offseason. so I expect we will see mostly rookies with the single digits. 

1 hour ago, Romfal said:

my first reaction is I hate it. As a non college ball follower single digit TE's CB's and RB's just seem weird...

I hate it too and I tend to be pretty loose on policies like this. A running back wearing 1 in the backfield is going to mess me up bad lol but we’ll get used to it.

I don't really get the number rules.  I played.  My kid plays.  I understand it's a rule.  I just don't understand why.  You can tell what position somebody is by their slot and their stance.  Once the ball is snapped I never had the sense to use numbers to navigate.  Just me?  

Most of the other stuff is cool, seems like some housekeeping.  Uniform rules seem mostly ridiculous.  

1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

I want to see a dlinemen wear single digit lol. Numbers are important for some players. Desean Jackson was leaning towards USC until he found out the number 1 was took. Went to Cal instead

Them fatties will be lining up for number 1...it’s so slimming 😂