Four.....

So if we draft Pitts at four, what positions do we draft in the next four rounds?  I understand TF wants go best player available but we have needs.  We need a DE, FS, RB, CB, DT, OL, etc.  Yeah, we maybe able to hit on some late round picks that won't get much playing time this season but the first four to five picks need to be able to contribute this season.  In my opinion after Pitts (assuming we draft him) we need to go DE, CB, FS, RB.  I'm sure some disagree which is the reason for this post.  So again what positions would you draft in second through fifth rounds?

If they draft Pitts at 4 then it prob means they are going with BPA strategy and will continue that throughout the rest of the draft. So would depend on value of who's available at each round. Also would assume if we take a TE at four then we could look to trade back in either 2nd/3rd round to acquire more picks for depth.

“One of our responsibilities in my background of business, whether it be at The Home Depot — or any of our existing business today, whether it be Falcons, Atlanta United or our PGA business, guest ranches, whatever — is how do you make sure you have succession planning in place,” Blank said. “We have to think about all of that; where are our players age-wise, contract wise, who’s going to be here in the next 2-3 years and who’s not going to be here, potentially. So there’s a lot of strategy that goes on behind the scenes that sometimes fans don’t fully appreciate. It’s not complicated; it just means you look beyond just winning the next game. You have to think not only about how to win next year, but how to win two, three years down the road. I think the great organizations in the NFL have a history of being able to make transitions from one regime to the next regime, and they do it very successfully, that’s why they’re always competitive." -Arthur Blank

FAMILY GUY Season 19 Episode 5 Photos La Famiglia Guy | SEAT42F

21 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

So if we draft Pitts at four, what positions do we draft in the next four rounds?  I understand TF wants go best player available but we have needs.  We need a DE, FS, RB, CB, DT, OL, etc.  Yeah, we maybe able to hit on some late round picks that won't get much playing time this season but the first four to five picks need to be able to contribute this season.  In my opinion after Pitts (assuming we draft him) we need to go DE, CB, FS, RB.  I'm sure some disagree which is the reason for this post.  So again what positions would you draft in second through fifth rounds?

You can't worry about needs if you go BPA. The draft seems deep at a few positions like RB, OL, S and CB and probably QB. So you can expect that eventually some of these positions will be selected during the draft.

Otherwise you take the highest rated player. Not the highest rated player you need. Sometimes it works out perfectly. And when it doesn't you go back to free agency after the draft.

TF has mentioned using free agency both before and after the draft.

I'm all for BPA but there are certain positions that we could really do with drafting at some point, namely DE and S. I would like to see us draft both of those fairly highly, preferably DE first. There could be some talent at the top of the second in both of those positions but if there's someone the FO has higher on the board then obviously they have to be considered as well. The strength of this draft is clearly on the offensive side of the ball so BPA could see us landing an offensive player with our first three picks which would be an interesting way to try and fix a team ranked 29th in yards allowed (not necessarily wrong though!). 

Edited by alexhead97

26 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

The whole point of bpa is to take the best player available. If it happens to fill a "need", great. 

Also, just because many want us to take Pitts doesn't mean we will

This.  Pitts might not be BPA on their board.  They might like Parsons or Surtain or Sewell or Slater.

Beyond that, I expect them to let the draft fall to them with the idea being at each slot, they will take the best player at that spot.  Generally, there will be multiple players graded similarly, especially once you get past that no. 4 pick, and so I would expect positional value and team needs to be factors there, and so we might see a DE taken over a RB or whatever.  But I don't think they're going into the draft saying "we need to get defensive help in the 2nd round" or whatever.

And thank God for that.  I'm tired of reaching.

2 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

This.  Pitts might not be BPA on their board.  They might like Parsons or Surtain or Sewell or Slater.

Beyond that, I expect them to let the draft fall to them with the idea being at each slot, they will take the best player at that spot.  Generally, there will be multiple players graded similarly, especially once you get past that no. 4 pick, and so I would expect positional value and team needs to be factors there, and so we might see a DE taken over a RB or whatever.  But I don't think they're going into the draft saying "we need to get defensive help in the 2nd round" or whatever.

And thank God for that.  I'm tired of reaching.

that's what kids/grandkids are for.....

oh wait

:ninja:

21 minutes ago, alexhead97 said:

I'm all for BPA but there are certain positions that we could really do with drafting at some point, namely DE and S. I would like to see us draft both of those fairly highly, preferably DE first. There could be some talent at the top of the second in both of those positions but if there's someone the FO has higher on the board then obviously they have to be considered as well. The strength of this draft is clearly on the offensive side of the ball so BPA could see us landing an offensive player with our first three picks which would be an interesting way to try and fix a team ranked 29th in yards allowed (not necessarily wrong though!). 

It doesn't matter. If two players have very similar value or grades that are miniscule in difference they'll obviously take the need position I'm sure.

And at some point, if we take a certain player, that position becomes excluded and we wouldn't select it (i.e., if we picked Chase first, I think WR would then be taken off the value board at least until the very last couple of rounds of the draft; same if we take a RB early on). If we draft S in the first and 2nd it would probably similarly be excluded in future rounds.

But needs are filled through free agency, and the 2nd half of free agency hasn't even begun.

6 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

It doesn't matter. If two players have very similar value or grades that are miniscule in difference they'll obviously take the need position I'm sure.

And at some point, if we take a certain player, that position becomes excluded and we wouldn't select it (i.e., if we picked Chase first, I think WR would then be taken off the value board at least until the very last couple of rounds of the draft; same if we take a RB early on). If we draft S in the first and 2nd it would probably similarly be excluded in future rounds.

But needs are filled through free agency, and the 2nd half of free agency hasn't even begun.

It's good in theory, but sometimes that guy is just there in a later round. I think back to when the Patriots drafted Gronk (2nd rd)... and then drafted Aaron Hernandez (4th rd) because he was their bpa

8 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

It's good in theory, but sometimes that guy is just there in a later round. I think back to when the Patriots drafted Gronk (2nd rd)... and then drafted Aaron Hernandez (4th rd) because he was their bpa

Of course, on very rare occasions a player is clearly the highest on your value board by considerable margins. At that point, you take him. There's always exceptions. 

Your example might also not be one where the Pats were overloaded at TE. They had Gronk, and that was probably it. That isn't an excess at one position when you run two TEs.

9 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Of course, on very rare occasions a player is clearly the highest on your value board by considerable margins. At that point, you take him. There's always exceptions. 

Your example might also not be one where the Pats were overloaded at TE. They had Gronk, and that was probably it. That isn't an excess at one position when you run two TEs.

They had just signed Alge Crumpler in free agency 🤔😂

17 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

They had just signed Alge Crumpler in free agency 🤔😂

Yeah. But he wasn't The Alge Crumpler that he was when he was a Falcon. He was 33 and coming off a year where he had 222 receiving yards. He was barely a JAG at that point.

The Pats could have viewed Hernandez as one of those rare exceptions though. It's possible.

There have been some valid points made but my only concern is this.  If TF is drafting by BPA and it's our pick and there's a RG that's BPA but the second BPA is a CB who is he going to draft?  We a CB more than a RG in my opinion.  Also is he drafting BPA based on the NFL board on his on board?  

34 minutes ago, realhomie81 said:

There have been some valid points made but my only concern is this.  If TF is drafting by BPA and it's our pick and there's a RG that's BPA but the second BPA is a CB who is he going to draft?  We a CB more than a RG in my opinion.  Also is he drafting BPA based on the NFL board on his on board?  

TF sets the board.  He isn't relying on anyone else's views of who the BPA is.  That's the only way any of this works.

Say the consensus NFL choice is an o-lineman who is a massive road grading o-lineman, but who lacks ideal speed and agility.  We won't pick him because we run an outside zone blocking scheme.  The board is for our team, not someone else's team, and it isn't based on pure talent, but also scheme fit.  That's why some teams can draft certain positions later than others because the guys they want always fall because their strengths line up with what that team does, but their weaknesses make them unattractive to teams that run another scheme.

Arthur Smith/Dave Ragone and Dean Pees all have certain traits they want.  If a guy doesn't fit that, they aren't going to take him even if he's a once in a lifetime generational player.  I think Kyle Pitts fits exactly what we want to do, but if Arthur Smith says "no, I need a TE who can do ______ and Pitts isn't good at that," we aren't going to take him.