Jump to content

Arthur Blank (probably can't trust this guy's words) discusses the new Falcons regime, upcoming draft


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It isn't evenly split.  The few yahoos who want a QB -- any QB -- other than Matt Ryan don't make up for the vast majority of the fanbase who support this team when we win.

Yeah, the whole "the Falcons are 4-13 but man, fans are flocking out to see the hometown hero Justin Fields" thing leaves me flat. Winning fills seats.  It always has.  Every year the Falcons hav

Falcons team owner Arthur Blank spoke with The Falcoholic about Arthur Smith, Terry Fontenot and the 2021 NFL Draft By Evan Birchfield@EvanBirchfield Apr 21, 2021, 8:00am EDT

Just now, falcons007 said:

Why would any one want to suffer spending all the money. Heck watching Falcons games last 3 years on the screen was a punishment.  

Last season, by game 4 or so I was just watching to see what hilarity would ensue.  I expected nothing.

And most of the time that's exactly what I got.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

Last season, by game 4 or so I was just watching to see what hilarity would ensue.  I expected nothing.

And most of the time that's exactly what I got.

Yeah. I watched all games. For what ever reason I enjoyed watching all 22 last year. I think one of the biggest weakness outside of run game was receivers. Outside of CR I doubt AS liked much of what he saw among the receivers. Hurst was too streaky, may be he can improve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

The last 3 ? How about you go and check the last decade genius..

I enjoyed most of the years from 2008. The 2013 and 2014 seasons were injury plagued. Last 3 years this team lost games they had no business losing. That’s torture. If team sucks, you laugh and move on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

By the way, don't think this doesn't give the game away.

Those of you who like Michael Vick more than the Atlanta Falcons are not evidence of a "split fanbase."  You're only evidence of people who cannot accept that running a multi-state dogfighting and gambling ring is illegal and was punished justly.  Those of us who are Vick fans because he played for the Atlanta Falcons are capable of accepting that while still wishing him the best now that he has served his time.

And we outnumber the Vick fans so badly it isn't even worth discussing.  You over-estimate your own importance.

A bit confused... so are you a Vick fan or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I enjoyed most of the years from 2008. The 2013 and 2014 seasons were injury plagued. Last 3 years this team lost games they had no business losing. That’s torture. If team sucks, you laugh and move on.

I never said I’d didnt enjoy the rollercoaster im just pointing out the elephant in room when it comes to Falcons support..it’s weak even in years we winning 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emc008 said:

A bit confused... so are you a Vick fan or not?

I am, but not before the team.  He was my favorite player right up until he was indicted.

I defended him here during the investigation.  I didn't believe he did it.  But he did, and he pled guilty because he was guilty.  He did terrible things.  After his conviction and sentencing, I supported him during his return to the NFL and have always wished him the best.  He has served his time and deserves our respect and admiration for overcoming the awful things he did.  

But Matt Ryan is our QB now, and I support him too.  I certainly don't blame him for the stupid **** Michael Vick did that resulted in him no longer being a member of this team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I am, but not before the team.  He was my favorite player right up until he was indicted.

I defended him here during the investigation.  I didn't believe he did it.  But he did, and he pled guilty because he was guilty.  He did terrible things.  After his conviction and sentencing, I supported him during his return to the NFL and have always wished him the best.  He has served his time and deserves our respect and admiration for overcoming the awful things he did.  

But Matt Ryan is our QB now, and I support him too.  I certainly don't blame him for the stupid **** Michael Vick did that resulted in him no longer being a member of this team.

Well said. Vick paid his dues and he got his chance at redemption. Looks like he learned his life lesson. If Matt Ryan goes and plays some where, I will support the new Falcons QB.  Team comes first to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDaveG said:

I am, but not before the team.  He was my favorite player right up until he was indicted.

I defended him here during the investigation.  I didn't believe he did it.  But he did, and he pled guilty because he was guilty.  He did terrible things.  After his conviction and sentencing, I supported him during his return to the NFL and have always wished him the best.  He has served his time and deserves our respect and admiration for overcoming the awful things he did.  

But Matt Ryan is our QB now, and I support him too.  I certainly don't blame him for the stupid **** Michael Vick did that resulted in him no longer being a member of this team.

Awesome! I figured that is what you meant I was just a bit confused. I don't support Vick over the Falcons either. I became a Falcons fan because I didn't have a team in 2000 (I was 12 years old then) but I did like this crazy awesome Virginia Tech QB who I said I will become a fan of the team that picks him up! Voila, Falcons Fan. 

I definitely share similar sentiments you do in regards to how I feel about him today, especially since he has shown rather than "said" his sincere apologies and turned his life around. He did awful things. I feel he was punished for the sins of others and future others on top of his own sins however and he was punished even more than those who have abused humans which I find to be unfortunate. However he was justified in his sentencing, over-justified in his service, and now is a shining example of what our system should be, restorative and able to join society through means of being restored.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, emc008 said:

Awesome! I figured that is what you meant I was just a bit confused. I don't support Vick over the Falcons either. I became a Falcons fan because I didn't have a team in 2000 (I was 12 years old then) but I did like this crazy awesome Virginia Tech QB who I said I will become a fan of the team that picks him up! Voila, Falcons Fan. 

I definitely share similar sentiments you do in regards to how I feel about him today, especially since he has shown rather than "said" his sincere apologies and turned his life around. He did awful things. I feel he was punished for the sins of others and future others on top of his own sins however and he was punished even more than those who have abused humans which I find to be unfortunate. However he was justified in his sentencing, over-justified in his service, and now is a shining example of what our system should be, restorative and able to join society through means of being restored.

Oh, no doubt.  I had a lot of sympathy for him even as he was charged and pled guilty.  He had a rough upbringing.  He was very much a product of his environment.  In a lot of ways, he is fortunate to have had not only his initial opportunity in the NFL, but a second chance.  

I enjoy his commentary a lot too -- he's often on various NFL shows and has a good perspective on things.  I hated when the AAF went under, because I was intrigued to find out what he could do as an offensive coordinator.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

No it don’t ..not for the Falcons  ..we didn’t fill seats until the playoffs 😂 ..we have a split fan base and that’s the truth, been that way since 08…or did you forget us pumping fake crowd noise 

 

49 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

We got caught in a losing season you don’t know how many times that was pulled …like I said Falcons fill a stadium consistently when the playoffs come and even then it’s still half of other teams fans..so nice try but sit down 

 

43 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

It’s definitely split ..yall wanna be obtuse ..a good number of people don’t care to see Matt ryan ..been there way since we left Vick of course some of that carried over to now with the 4th pick. Good portion of Atlanta don’t want to see Matt Ryan and Arthur knows it …**** I done spent this  past decade defending him..them people minds didn’t change.

 

fact of the matter this fan base don’t show up to games consistently even when winning 

Sorry bro, your divisiveness  isn't healthy & your take is not accurate.  Just because you prefer to live in the past (wow 2008, that's a long time to live with issues) doesn't mean you can project this nonsense on the rest of the fan base.  People are generally happy & forgive & forget past mistakes while getting behind their team with the hope of improving.  Many have opinions on the QB situation but the majority of us will be fine with the team's decision no matter which direction they go in.  What you're tying to do here is unhealthy & reminds me of a political initiative.  

Sorry but your attempt at psychoanalyzing the fan base & dropping us into sects for manipulation purposes ain't working at all.  You might want to consider expanding your horizons to get to know people outside of your small circle of friends who share the same angst.  It might just be a revelation to understand folks don't see things strictly in black & white (pardon the metaphoric parallel here).  Then you get challenged on it & double down on the division.  Not cool cowboy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw Falcons @ Panthers in 2009 and 2012, Falcons @ Cowboys in 2015, Falcons @ Redskins in 2018, and Falcons @ Texans in 2019.  There were a **** load of Falcons fans at all of those games.  Enough to be visible and audible over the home crowds, as long as we were winning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NOVAFalconFan said:

I saw Falcons @ Panthers in 2009 and 2012, Falcons @ Cowboys in 2015, Falcons @ Redskins in 2018, and Falcons @ Texans in 2019.  There were a **** load of Falcons fans at all of those games.  Enough to be visible and audible over the home crowds, as long as we were winning.

I was at the Texans game in 2019. Ton of Falcons fans before the Defense wheels came off in third quarter. I knew DQ was done by then and should have been fired right after. 

AS needs to bring his BDE. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yah, my take on Michael Vick is probably similar to many others.  I was so stoked when we drafted him & was totally enthralled with his incredible athleticism, raw speed, big arm & explosive play potential.  It was on display at VT & continued to be evident as a Falcon. 

Over the years I loved anticipating all those big plays on Sundays.  I was always willing to forgive those errors where he fell short in the passing game or a lapse of judgement or whatever.  That Vikings game had me jumping up & down with excitement.  

Then we began to see a few of the cracks in his armor.  The rumors of him not doing the proper work to learn & prepare himself mentally.  The Mexico thing.  The dog drama.  The lying to AB etc...  We began to see our hero was a troubled soul who needed help.  I was devastated.  TBH, I was hurt, but mostly disappointed that he couldn't address his behavior before it was too late.  The entire nightmare was unfortunate for the fans, the owner, the team & our brand identity.  

I found empathy because of his upbringing & his inability to break out of the unhealthy connections he grew up with by choosing more wisely who he identified with & who he hung out with.  After all, he had the financial wherewithal to do so, but like most of us, it's tough to move on from those bonds sometimes.

It was an emotional roller coaster that we all shared in.  Disappointment, some anger, sadness & a sense that he abandoned or turned his back on us.  Then I came full circle as I watched him overcome it all after paying his dues. Ultimately I wanted him to be ok.  With himself mainly.  I forgave him 100% & still appreciate who he was & who he became through it all, despite the mistakes & my selfish football wishes.  I can say that I admire him now even as much or more than I did when he was that young QB out of Va. Tech.  

I think much of this Vick nonsense stems from racial viewpoints unfortunately & it's poisonous & unnecessary.  I don't see things this way.  I see Michael Vick, Matt Ryan & our future QB's as the leader of my football team & I get behind them if they're working hard to be the best they can be.  Mistakes & all.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I had season tickets for more almost 15 years, including the 2007 and 2008 mess. Never really saw the value in PSL and didn't renew it for MBS. I get emails and calls from Falcons season tickets sales office. I am not opening my wallet till they fix the **** team and win.

I like AB wanting the HC and GM to consider every option, as they should with #4 pick. I. would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. 

Didn't they scrap the PSL thing this year basically accepting it as a failure?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Well said. Vick paid his dues and he got his chance at redemption. Looks like he learned his life lesson. If Matt Ryan goes and plays some where, I will support the new Falcons QB.  Team comes first to me. 

That's the thing -- I support our guys when they leave too.  Unless they do a Curtis Lofton, and then I hope they get dunked on every game.  Like this:

20130118__1-tonygonzalez.jpg?w=471

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...