Are defenders being underrated?

I was watching some defensive scouting reports this weekend and wondering if the mega-hype around offensive players at the top of the draft is pushing some equally deserving defenders down the board.

I have a feeling in a few years we could be watching a linebacker destroy teams in New England, wondering how three recievers got drafted ahead of him.

With last year being so odd and many players opting out, more players are being over/underrated than ever. Who's to say that in a normal season Farley isn't being compared to Peterson or Parsons isn't the next Kuechly? Or that Sewell, Chase, Slater aren't picked apart because they have slightly lower graded seasons?

With the lack of typical data, rankings could be more wrong than usual. A lot of second/third rounders that normally would have jumped up are going to be a steal and some of people's favorites are going the flame out.

Who are some of your favorite defensive candidates to outperform their draft position?

Edited by Run 'n' Shoot

• Run 'n' Shoot changed the title to Are defenders being underrated?

Lately, i have totally ben buying into the Micah Parsons option.  I think seeing Ray Lewis talk about Pees philosophy helped me buy in.  Those teams always had multiple LBs wreaking havoc and after looking at the way Foye produced last year and Walker's potential, wow... could our defense turn into a LB stronghold?

Especially if we are able to trade back and still get the dude.

10 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Farley is an athlete. He is nothing like Peterson coming out of college. Parsons and Surtain are underrated defenders in this draft. If Parsons can keep is off field issues in check, he could be next Kuechly.

I'm not saying either is actually comparable to those players. Just that in a normal season some wild comps like that could have been made.

They are for sure. If guys like Surtain, Parsons and Rosseau end up going in the 8-10+ range they could surely outperform some of the folks who went before them. 

I would love to add Parsons and see what Pees can do w 3 blitzing demons like Parsons, Debo and Foye. As good as Foye and Debo are, MP could be better than then as a rookie...let that trio marinate for a moment!

I think they're being underrated a tad bit. That being said I personally I don't see any as top 5 talents so it's understandable to me why the offensive guys are getting more hype towards the top. I feel like the lack of a standout Edge rusher or DT is hurting the class a bit. The corners are propping it up.

Micah Parsons, Daviyon Nixon, Jaycee Horn, Chris Rumph, Patrick Surtain, and Richie Grant are players I like a lot.

8 minutes ago, The Architect said:

I think they're being underrated a tad bit. That being said I personally I don't see any as top 5 talents so it's understandable to me why the offensive guys are getting more hype towards the top. I feel like the lack of a standout Edge rusher or DT is hurting the class a bit. The corners are propping it up.

Micah Parsons, Daviyon Nixon, Jaycee Horn, Chris Rumph, Patrick Surtain, and Richie Grant are players I like a lot.

I think the guys you listed will be great value for the teams drafting them later.  

Absolutely.  Not knocking any position.  But with the explosion in salary flowing to QB and a few other (mostly) offense players, hands guys, it is a reasonable result that teams have to devalue other players.  The most obvious result is that even standout defensive contributors would end up earning less.  Not a finger-pointing exercise, just math.  If the budget isn't moveable the money has to come from someplace.  If you look at the distribution of players with "mega" contracts when teams have 2 or more on offense there's room for 1 or none on defense.  If you or I magically got handed the keys to a team, say Dallas Cowboys, your only hope of filling a competitive roster is to collude with the league to deflate the value of body players.  I am not saying it is the right thing but it is what I see happening.  You've got to put the bigs and even some of the secondary players in a position where they're 4th-5th round or later because of the way the total budget is distributed.  Falcons are no different.  We all want a really hot edge rusher but our best bet to get there is through the draft.

I’ve been saying it a long time now. People are crazy if they think all these WRs are going that high. Some defenders and O-linemen are going to push those guys back.

I can almost guarantee you’ll see Parson and Surtain go in the top ten. Probably one other, such as Horn, Paye, or Farley, for instance.

Heck, I won’t be shocked at all if we draft Parsons or Surtain at 4. Both are among the best available, and fill roster holes, too. Win-win.  

You're probably right.  Too much stock is put into perceived value.  The grading system does not take into account many factors like team needs, scheme etc when making these grades.  Wrong player in the wrong scheme is a bust.  Happens every year.  Not all games translate into the pros.

52 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Yes. Namely Surtain and he'll likely be a Cowboy. I'm thinking he is being underrated for this purpose.

KOG, why do you feel Surtain is under rated?  He is already considered the top CB in this draft.  You seem to know a lot about Bama.  Can give us your thoughts about Surtain and maybe some comparables?

Yes and no. There are few true studs, which isn't normal, compared to multiple quality QBs and offensive weapons. Add in a light DL group vs a VERY deep OL group and it tilts towards offense. We have a good CB group. We have a good LB group. The edge group has promise, but no beast. Safety group is the same. I think you'll have less busts from the defensive crop though. Just a lot of contributor types vs "circle this guy on Sundays" types. 

I think this draft is good in some areas defensively and a little weak in others. Corner, safety and linebacker are all either pretty good at the top or pretty deep.

There are a lot of question marks with the DL talent this year. A lot of them will get drafted early based off of traits alone. Depending on how you rank them the top edge player either: has had multiple concussions (Phillips), is undersized (Ojulari) or didn't produce sacks in college (Paye/Oweh). Where they go is going to really depend on fit. 

Just now, JayOzOne said:

Maybe. Looking at the draft, I see runs at QB and WR early and perhaps RB sometime at the end of round 1/beginning of round 2. But I'm trying to figure out what position on defense will see a run and where it will begin.

I think there will be a run at safety in the late 2nd or early 3rd. 

1 hour ago, etherdome said:

KOG, why do you feel Surtain is under rated?  He is already considered the top CB in this draft.  You seem to know a lot about Bama.  Can give us your thoughts about Surtain and maybe some comparables?

Hes a shut down corner in the system we use. If people loved Minkah at FS, Surtain is a beast at CB. The man is 6'2" 205 and runs a 4.47 with nearly 40" hops. Some on this board have spoken out of pure ignorance on him, but he was money his whole career in Bama. Hes like a bigger version of his dad. He also plays every DB position. His best value is to lock up and play on the left or right though. Hes undervalued, overlooked, and its criminal. I RARELY defend Bama players, very VERY rarely, but this year I see our guys being looked at "completely wrong. Najee is more than a RB, Smith is better than Chase, and Surtain is a mutant. 

Here's the sick part. I see more hype around Barmore who was ghosted a lot, Waddle who cant run routes, Mac who had more offensive weapons than ANY of our QBs ever, and Moses who I personally wouldnt take before the third.

I wipe my ast with the logic of the media and about 90% of this boards football logic and yes, this is an emotional rant and not you, but everyone else with an issue can kiss a beavers butt for the vanilla flavor because that's what they all want in this draft with these overrated players based solely on position and media bondage.