Since every topic nowadays is about Fields or Pitts anyway, I thought I'd focus on Pitts today.

Throughout the threads, I see Pitts is a "generational talent." Are we using that term too loosely? What does it mean?

To me, a generational talent is someone like Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Tom Brady, even Tony Gonzalez as he changed the tight end position from what it was before.

Will Pitts be better than Kelce, Kittle, Gronk, Waller when healthy, Graham with the Saints? Is it really generational if you are on par with others that are playing? Should we expect more from him than these guys give their teams if we crown him with being a generational talent? 

If we grab Pitts at #4, he will be the highest tight end drafted since Mike Ditka in 1961. If you support the pick, what kind of numbers would you like to see to reflect your desire to draft him so high? 

Edited by Mister pudding
  • Mister pudding changed the title to What does generational mean?
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It means the top 4 qbs in this class. Duh

Jerry Rice, Tony Gonzalez, Tom Brady, Jim Brown, etc are not generational talent. They are the best to ever play the game at their position. Is Babe Ruth a generational talent or something m

It's a term used entirely too much on this website. I'm still amazed that Pitts started getting called generational all of a sudden after his pro day. Compared to the rest of the tight ends in this dr

gen·er·a·tion·al
/ˌjenəˈrāSH(ə)nəl/

adjective

1. relating to or characteristic of all the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively.
    "generational differences in television usage"
    • relating to the different generations of a particular family.
      "a compelling generational saga"
10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:
gen·er·a·tion·al
/ˌjenəˈrāSH(ə)nəl/

adjective

1. relating to or characteristic of all the people born and living at about the same time, regarded collectively.
    "generational differences in television usage"
    • relating to the different generations of a particular family.
      "a compelling generational saga"

Don't be mad I talked about Pitts over Fields... next time, k? 😂

It's a term used entirely too much on this website. I'm still amazed that Pitts started getting called generational all of a sudden after his pro day. Compared to the rest of the tight ends in this draft, of course he's the best. He was actually used more in Floridas passing attack. But as soon as one person called him generational, everyone ran with it

1 minute ago, Mister pudding said:

Exactly my point.. and that's why I wonder if people on the Pitts train that deem him generational think he will be better than Kelce and Kittle

Yep. He's got that kind of talent/ability. He's like Calvin Johnson at TE. 6'6 245lbs with the wingspan of an OT. He runs like the wind. There literally has never been a TE like him with the size and production. He's got the potential to be completely unguardable. 

I think the term does get used way too loosely in regard to early 1st round draft picks.  Almost every year we hear of a guy or two being called "generational" talents, but most of them don't turn out to be.  They may be good, some of them very good, but most are not great, transformative, game dominating players who are destined for the HoF and only come around once every 20 years or so.   Instead it seems to get thrown around every year in regard to any player who is far and away the best at his given position in that year's draft class.  

Fact is you really don't know if a guy is a generational talent until he has been in the league a while and succeeded.   Plenty of supremely talented players have come into the NFL and bombed out for various reasons.

16 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Since every topic nowadays is about Fields or Pitts anyway, I thought I'd focus on Pitts today.

Throughout the threads, I see Pitts is a "generational talent." Are we using that term too loosely? What does it mean?

To me, a generational talent is someone like Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Tom Brady, even Tony Gonzalez as he changed the tight end position from what it was before.

Will Pitts be better than Kelce, Kittle, Gronk, Waller when healthy, Graham with the Saints? Is it really generational if you are on par with others that are playing? Should we expect more from him than these guys give their teams if we crown him with being a generational talent? 

If we grab Pitts at #4, he will be the highest tight end drafted since Mike Ditka in 1961. If you support the pick, what kind of numbers would you like to see to reflect your desire to draft him so high? 

Jerry Rice, Tony Gonzalez, Tom Brady, Jim Brown, etc are not generational talent.

They are the best to ever play the game at their position.

Is Babe Ruth a generational talent or something more.

Generational are players like Barry Julio, Calvin Johnson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamu etc. All great players but not the best to ever play at their position.

6 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Exactly my point.. and that's why I wonder if people on the Pitts train that deem him generational think he will be better than Kelce and Kittle

Has potential to be. Obviously his build is great but other players of that build have fallen flat. His college performance is outstanding but that’s not 100% perfect indicator. How well he actually does depends on his attitude and team he lands with( coach, scheme and player mentors being key) IMO Atlanta is best landing spot for him as we will have a tight end friendly scheme, a coach who knows how to use tight ends and two of the best receivers in the league to mentor him

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Jerry Rice, Tony Gonzalez, Tom Brady, Jim Brown, etc are not generational talent.

Generational are players like Barry Julio, Calvin Johnson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamu etc. All great players but not the best to ever play at their position.

Yep. I can get with this too. Brady is a once in a lifetime player. 

6 minutes ago, vel said:

Yep. He's got that kind of talent/ability. He's like Calvin Johnson at TE. 6'6 245lbs with the wingspan of an OT. He runs like the wind. There literally has never been a TE like him with the size and production. He's got the potential to be completely unguardable. 

His metrics are quite comparable to Jared Cook in every category. What makes you lean to Calvin Johnson rather than Cook in regards to production?

12 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

He's already a better prospect than either Kelce or Kittle were. That does not mean he will automatically be a better pro. Kyle Pitts is a generational prospect. 

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

But they were the best at their positions at that time for an elongated time. I would say that's generational talent. At the time, Babe Ruth was a generational talent, but time has shown he is more than just that

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

His metrics are quite comparable to Jared Cook in every category. What makes you lean to Calvin Johnson rather than Cook in regards to production?

I am hoping this a joke if you think Cook and Pitts are similar prospects. Did TD slip something in your coffee?

3 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

He can actually catch a football. Cook can't. Cook has always been a drop machine. The last time he got 100+ targets he had 9 drops

Pitts could be generational because his ability to high point the ball in traffic is similar to Calvin Johnson. Also, his ability to separate after a cut is amazing for his size as well. I have no doubt that if they asked him to drop 12 pounds he could be a poor man’s Calvin Johnson. Pitts speed, ability to separate, size/measurables puts him in that CJ category. 

What’s crazy is what determines his success will depend on who drafts him. If Arthur Smith gets him, it would be like the NY Giants getting LT; HOF defensive minds getting their hand on an elite talent. I want Pitts here because he could actually change our offense in the RZ.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I am hoping this a joke if you think Cook and Pitts are similar prospects. Did TD slip something in your coffee?

Cook combine-             Pitts pro day-

Height   77 inches.         75.58 inches

Weight.  246 lbs.             245 lbs

40 dash.  4.49.                4.44

Bench.     23 reps.          22 reps

Vert.        41.0.                 33.5

Broad.      123 in.              129 in

I said metrics

5 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

He can actually catch a football. Cook can't. Cook has always been a drop machine. The last time he got 100+ targets he had 9 drops

4 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I've watched him play

Pitts did more in 7 games of college than Cook ever did in 3 years. Watch the tape, Cook was never a football player, more of an athlete.