Braves @ Yankees

tl;dr

Tuesday, April 20 @ 6:35 ET

Charlie Morton (1-1) vs Jameson Taillon (0-1)

Wednesday, April 21 @ 6:35 ET

Ian Anderson (0-0) vs. Corey Kluber (0-1)

This is a team similar to the Cubs. They aren’t playing very well at all right now. Hopefully we can hit and get the sweep over the Yankers

3 minutes ago, Born Again Georgian said:

Any word on Acuna or Ozzie?

Acuna had an MRI, strained abdominal muscle. Braves will see how he feels tomorrow. Same with Ozzie, see how he feels tomorrow. With the off day they don't really get into details. Both are listed as day to day. 

Here's the main stat that has me most concerned about the Braves bullpen. They've issued 33 walks. Only 3 other bullpens have issued more walks: Cubs (44), Cardinals (38), Tigers (36). They have a WHIP of 1.43. That's tied for 6th worst. But there is a bit of good news about the bullpen. Braves bullpen has racked up 74 strikeouts. That's tied with the White Sox for 4th most: Padres (91), Cubs (83), Yankees (83). If the Braves can cutout the walks they can be really really good.

13 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Here's the main stat that has me most concerned about the Braves bullpen. They've issued 33 walks. Only 3 other bullpens have issued more walks: Cubs (44), Cardinals (38), Tigers (36). They have a WHIP of 1.43. That's tied for 6th worst. But there is a bit of good news about the bullpen. Braves bullpen has racked up 74 strikeouts. That's tied with the White Sox for 4th most: Padres (91), Cubs (83), Yankees (83). If the Braves can cutout the walks they can be really really good.

You got jackson, tomlin and minter getting high leverage situation so that's expected. Minter's ok sometimes but really unreliable. Only one I'm confident is Matzek. Maybe Newt too. That's only 2. Need at least 2 more

14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I would imagine most of those walks came in like 4 games.

I know that they had 2 really bad games where it seemed like no one could throw a strike.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

I would imagine most of those walks came in like 4 games.

I know that they had 2 really bad games where it seemed like no one could throw a strike.

• Game 1 - at PHI - 2 (Matzek 1, Jones 1)
  • Game 2 - at PHI - 2 (Newcomb 1, Jackson 1)
  • Game 3 - at PHI - 1 (Martin 1)
  • Game 4 - at WAS - 3 (Matzek 2, Minter 1)
  • Game 5 - at WAS - 3 (Tomlin 1, Smith 2) (7 Inning Game)
  • Game 6 - at WAS - 2 (Jackson 2) (7 Inning Game)
  • Game 7 - vs. PHI - 1 (Jones 1)
  • Game 8 - vs. PHI - 1 (Newcomb 1)
  • Game 9 - vs. PHI - 0
  • Game 10 - vs. MIA - 5 (Minter 3, Jones 2)
  • Game 11 - vs. MIA - 1 (Dayton 1)
  • Game 12 - vs. MIA - 3 (Newcomb 1, Jackson 2)
  • Game 13 - vs. MIA - 1 (Minter 1)
  • Game 14 - at CHC - 4 (Newcomb 1, Smith 3)
  • Game 15 - at CHC - 2 (Biddle 1, Webb 1)
  • Game 16 - at CHC - 2 (Jackson 1, Matzek 1)

When you look at it like that it doesn't seem like a really big problem, especially given how many innings the bullpen is being asked to cover each game. But 5 games with at least 3 walks, one of which was a 7 inning game, is a bit too many IMO. I can live with 2 or less. But just 1 game without any walks out of the bullpen and only 5 with 1 walk. There's really no consistency in the bullpen. One day Smith comes out and walks the bases loaded and another the gets 3 easy outs. It's a rollercoaster ride every time that phone rings.

Braves, Jesse Chavez Agree To Minor League Deal

By Steve Adams | April 20, 2021 at 11:44am CDT

The Braves have agreed to a minor league deal with free-agent righty Jesse Chavez, as first noted on the transactions log on at Braves.com. Presumably, he’ll head to their alternate site once he clears intake testing.

Chavez, 37, spent Spring Training with the Angels, who cut him loose late in Spring Training rather than pay him a $100K retention bonus (as would’ve been his right as a six-year veteran who qualified as an Article XXB free agent). Chavez struggled through 4 1/3 innings with the Halos during Cactus League play, yielding seven runs on nine hits and three walks with just a pair of strikeouts (25 batters faced).

Chavez had a solid run with the Rangers and Cubs from 2018-19, pitching to a combined 3.58 ERA with a 23 percent strikeout rate and an excellent 5.5 percent walk rate through 173 1/3 innings (101 relief appearances, nine starts). But the wheels came off for the veteran righty last summer in the second season of a two-year deal with Texas, as he was clobbered for a 6.88 ERA in 17 innings of work.

This will be the second stint with the Braves for Chavez, who tossed 36 2/3 innings for Atlanta more than a decade ago in 2010. The results weren’t pretty at the time, but Chavez broke out not long after and solidified himself as a solid swingman over a seven-year stretch during which he pitched for six different teams. All told, he carries a career 4.52 ERA, a 20.8 percent strikeout rate, a 7.4 percent walk rate and a 41.6 percent ground-ball rate through 933 innings spread across 13 seasons and nine different big league clubs.

The Braves currently have five pitchers — Mike Soroka, Max Fried, Drew Smyly, Touki Toussaint and Sean Newcomb — on the injured list. Bringing Chavez into the mix afford them some veteran depth both in the bullpen and the rotation, though it’s been more than three weeks since the Angels cut him loose, so he may need some time to ramp up before he’s even considered for a look with the big league club.