What If The Niners Aren't Drafting A QB At #3?

Watched this last night and it gave me fuel for thought (I think too much, BTW). What if the Niners think that Pitts is worth the trade up to #3 and aren't planning on taking a QB? Pitts is getting run as a generational talent and Miami and Atlanta were the two most likely landing spots for him. By landing the third pick, they might not be trying to get the third best QB but the best non-QB to pair with Jimmy G and George Kittle.

Everybody's playing 3-D chess right now trying to game perception. The Niners have been right on the line of suggesting they're going to get a QB whereas the Jests have been relatively quiet. There's nothing gained from the Niners' being transparent except to make sure nobody scoops them (unless they just want, you know, to be up front).

Now, here's the TATF: What would the Falcons do if they're left with Fields, Lance, Jones and three potential game changing wide receivers at #4? Does that make a trade down more likely or would we essentially be stupid to not take the highest rated QB? IMO, removing Pitts from consideration changes a lot.

If Pitts is gone, do the Falcons take a QB or trade down? Pretty sure those are the only options at that point. Can't see us taking a receiver when a good one will likely be available for the next 4-6 picks.

5 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

Watched this last night and it gave me fuel for thought (I think too much, BTW). What if the Niners think that Pitts is worth the trade up to #3 and aren't planning on taking a QB? Pitts is getting run as a generational talent and Miami and Atlanta were the two most likely landing spots for him. By landing the third pick, they might not be trying to get the third best QB but the best non-QB to pair with Jimmy G and George Kittle.

Everybody's playing 3-D chess right now trying to game perception. The Niners have been right on the line of suggesting they're going to get a QB whereas the Jests have been relatively quiet. There's nothing gained from the Niners' being transparent except to make sure nobody scoops them (unless they just want, you know, to be up front).

Now, here's the TATF: What would the Falcons do if they're left with Fields, Lance, Jones and three potential game changing wide receivers at #4? Does that make a trade down more likely or would we essentially be stupid to not take the highest rated QB? IMO, removing Pitts from consideration changes a lot.

If Pitts is gone, do the Falcons take a QB or trade down? Pretty sure those are the only options at that point. Can't see us taking a receiver when a good one will likely be available for the next 4-6 picks.

In this scenario, the Falcons stay put and take BPA for value IMHO.

But they are going to draft a QB . If you think about it.. It's the only reason any team would give what they did for the 3rd pick.. No one in their right mind would do that unless they knew they wanted one of the top QBs in this draft.. My guess would be Fields.. He's the only QB worth giving what they did to draft him. 

3 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

But they are going to draft a QB . If you think about it.. It's the only reason any team would give what they did for the 3rd pick.. No one in their right mind would do that unless they knew they wanted one of the top QBs in this draft.. My guess would be Fields.. He's the only QB worth giving what they did to draft him. 

We gave up a lot for Julio...

2 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

There's no way on this planet they take anything other than a QB. There is no TE in the history of football worth everything they gave up, and they still have Kittle.

This might be one of those "come on man" moments. 🤣

Also have they drafted a wr early in draft last two years? How many weapons does Kyle need

I don't want a QB, and think the entire idea is just throwing away an impact player on a bench rider. Having said that, if Fields is there, I don't think they'd hesitate to take him.

I hate to be the pessimist, but there's a definite PR element there that someone like Blank would find impossible to ignore. The man loves his shiny objects. That's why we have that shopping mall and not our beloved GA Dome, for instance.

47 minutes ago, Aluminafalcon said:

Also have they drafted a wr early in draft last two years? How many weapons does Kyle need

They've drafted one in the 2nd the last 3 years. They're all right with probably better futures than they've had so far. None has eclipsed 900 yards or caught more than 5 TDs in a season. But Deebo, Pettis and Brandon Aiyuk aren't the worst they could have, but they're no JJ or Ridley either.