https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/18/nfl-draft-rumors-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

For now, what I know, and hear, about the draft, 10 days out:

3. SAN FRANCISCO. Today’s the last day of substance in fact-finding for the Niners, with GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan expected in Fargo at North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance’s second workout. The leader in the clubhouse is still Alabama’s Mac Jones, but that’s all Jones is. Credit to Lynch and Shanahan for keeping a tight lid on their preference. I keep coming back to Jones’ accuracy (his 77.4-percent season in 2020 is the most accurate in major-college history) and his touch downfield, with the best accuracy of the top five quarterbacks on passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield.

I think Shanahan will value accuracy and presence over athleticism and prefer Jones, but that’s not inside info—just my gut feeling.

4. ATLANTA. Pivot point of the draft. Falcons are doing a great job of disguising their intentions and, per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, will have three reps at the Lance workout today.

What I’m hearing: Owner Arthur Blank is fascinated by the quarterbacks atop the draft, thinking the franchise might not be in such an advantageous position to take one for years. But Blank will not force a decision—of that I am sure. He hired GM Terry Fontenot and coach Arthur Smith and won’t big-foot them on their first big call. Smith likes the quarterbacks too, but also like Matt Ryan, who will play at 36 this fall and likely has four or five solid years left. Fontenot may—and I emphasized may, because I’ve heard varying things here—prefer to trade out of the pick for a ransom, if one is there. But Smith and Fontenot are also value shoppers too. The value here is to take the best non-quarterback in the draft, tight end Kyle Pitts.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We might draft a QB. We might trade down. We might go non-QB.   Amazing insight.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/18/nfl-draft-rumors-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw   For now, what I know, and hear, about the draft, 10 days out: 3. SAN FRANCISCO. Today’s t

The only thing that hate about the draft now is how over hyped Day 1 is now. 4 hours for the first 32 picks is insane.

3 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/18/nfl-draft-rumors-fmia-peter-king/?cid=fmiatw

For now, what I know, and hear, about the draft, 10 days out:

3. SAN FRANCISCO. Today’s the last day of substance in fact-finding for the Niners, with GM John Lynch and coach Kyle Shanahan expected in Fargo at North Dakota State quarterback Trey Lance’s second workout. The leader in the clubhouse is still Alabama’s Mac Jones, but that’s all Jones is. Credit to Lynch and Shanahan for keeping a tight lid on their preference. I keep coming back to Jones’ accuracy (his 77.4-percent season in 2020 is the most accurate in major-college history) and his touch downfield, with the best accuracy of the top five quarterbacks on passes thrown 20 yards or more downfield.

I think Shanahan will value accuracy and presence over athleticism and prefer Jones, but that’s not inside info—just my gut feeling.

4. ATLANTA. Pivot point of the draft. Falcons are doing a great job of disguising their intentions and, per Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, will have three reps at the Lance workout today.

What I’m hearing: Owner Arthur Blank is fascinated by the quarterbacks atop the draft, thinking the franchise might not be in such an advantageous position to take one for years. But Blank will not force a decision—of that I am sure. He hired GM Terry Fontenot and coach Arthur Smith and won’t big-foot them on their first big call. Smith likes the quarterbacks too, but also like Matt Ryan, who will play at 36 this fall and likely has four or five solid years left. Fontenot may—and I emphasized may, because I’ve heard varying things here—prefer to trade out of the pick for a ransom, if one is there. But Smith and Fontenot are also value shoppers too. The value here is to take the best non-quarterback in the draft, tight end Kyle Pitts.

It’s funny I wrote the same thing weeks ago. Glad to see Peter king catching up. 

1 hour ago, Xyfiel said:

We might draft a QB.

We might trade down.

We might go non-QB.

Amazing insight.

1 hour ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Well....

At least it didn't say the Falcons weren't gonna draft a player at all. Lol

That would be something new at this point.

I think this is as definitive you are going to get from Media. Peter king is admitting the QB was coming from AB but AS and TF wants to go in different direction with non QB pick.

41 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I think this is as definitive you are going to get from Media. Peter king is admitting the QB was coming from AB but AS and TF wants to go in different direction with non QB pick.

I thought King mentioned a few weeks ago that Fontenot had his eye on QB as well?

Maybe Smith convinced him on Ryan for the next 2 to 3+ seasons?

This has to be the most confusing Falcons offseason in franchise history. It also proves that Fontenot may be really good GM with a very bright future ahead of him.

1 minute ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I thought King mentioned a few weeks ago that Fontenot had his eye on QB as well?

Maybe Smith convinced him on Ryan for the next 2 to 3+ seasons?

This has to be the most confusing Falcons offseason in franchise history. It also proves that Fontenot may be really good GM with a very bright future ahead of him.

TF and AS having differences on QB source was Schultz a55. Brett Jewkes put a lid on the rumor on differences between them on the pick 4. I will take direct word from some one in the organization over a guy like Schultz. 

Everything he said is rinse, repeat from what the last guy said. When I hear something that is concrete and not more speculation that will be good info. Or if I hear something that isn’t the same thing another talking head said yesterday, that will be good info. Until then, it’s the same ole babble.

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

And the frustrating thing is the Jaguars will use the whole clock knowing they are drafting Lawrence.

That will be directed by the NFL/Networks to do so, as they need those 15 minutes to speculate and hype TL as the best prospect ever. The 15 minutes after he is drafted simply won’t be enough time. 😁

Interesting that AB supposedly wants a QB. That suggests that he is looking at the longer team and not all about wanting to win now - which is good news if true.

My biggest concern was that AB might hamstringing this regime by demanding instant success - pressurising them to make moves that were win now at the expense of the longer term. 

5 hours ago, Xyfiel said:

We might draft a QB.

We might trade down.

We might go non-QB.

Amazing insight.

I wish I could get paid for just giving the same obvious opinions that every pundit gives almost daily in these articles.  Well, articles/opinions on any subject really. Pundits are morons. 

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

I wish I could get paid for just giving the same obvious opinions that every pundit gives almost daily in these articles.  Well, articles/opinions on any subject really. Pundits are morons. 

Good, I'm not the only one.  I kept thinking I was missing some nugget of real information.  I kept telling myself "reading is fundamental Doktor" and that this information will manifest.  Phew, don't need the CAT scan now....🤣

1 hour ago, ukfalc said:

Interesting that AB supposedly wants a QB. That suggests that he is looking at the longer team and not all about wanting to win now - which is good news if true.

My biggest concern was that AB might hamstringing this regime by demanding instant success - pressurising them to make moves that were win now at the expense of the longer term. 

When is it not the best idea to look to win now? And at what point does someone who invests that much money in a product not demand that the team win now?

Because if I had billions tied up in that business, you can bet, those two guys' arses would be sitting in my office regularly, updating me on the progress to put a SB team on the field in 21 and every year after. 

If that's not the goal of every season, then what's the point in fans' even watching?

1 hour ago, ukfalc said:

They aren’t mutually exclusive. AB said it in first press conference that he expects a succession plan. Just like Ridley was drafted as successor to Ryan. Expectations don’t change, AB is a corporate guy. 

Well someone is gonna be wrong on TATF in all this   "Falcons won't draft a QB" and "Falcons will draft a QB".   If I'm wrong - sobeit.

I will put myself squarely in the camp of "Falcons are taking a QB"  - Fields and Lance just have too high of a ceiling to pass over them.   Fontenot has all his future picks and the rest of 2021 draft to draft for more immediate needs and holes.      I will predict that TATF will coalesce around the Falcons QB pick once they start thinking big picture and resign themselves to this is a team in need of a re-build and reconfiguration of the salary cap over next 36 months.

9 hours ago, Fernando C. said:

4. ATLANTA. 

wait a minute - I was told all weekend that Arthur Blank put out a "win now" edict and that is why the Falcons wouldn't select a QB.   hmmmm......

3 hours ago, ukfalc said:

Don’t forget Blank more or less did the same thing in 2008.

While he never directed TD and Smith to take a QB he let it be known he was fascinated with a QB.

Also look at it this way. If Blank thinks the new GM and HC are going to be successful then he thinks the Falcons won’t be in a position to grab a QB like this again for a long time. And Blank also knows Ryan’s time is limited.... maybe 2-3 more years?

So if the HC and GM are as good as advertised then they should be able to win if they take a QB with the #1 pick and have him ride the bench a few years.... at least that’s what Blank might be thinking.

30 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Don’t forget Blank more or less did the same thing in 2008.

While he never directed TD and Smith to take a QB he let it be known he was fascinated with a QB.

Also look at it this way. If Blank thinks the new GM and HC are going to be successful then he thinks the Falcons won’t be in a position to grab a QB like this again for a long time. And Blank also knows Ryan’s time is limited.... maybe 2-3 more years?

So if the HC and GM are as good as advertised then they should be able to win if they take a QB with the #1 pick and have him ride the bench a few years.... at least that’s what Blank might be thinking.

Or AB is playing mind games so a team that needs a QB will jump the gun- The Falcons on surface have to show they are interest in a QB so other teams gets desperate. It is like playing a game of poker- you bluff sometimes to scare your competition. The fact they structured Matt Ryan contract tells you that the Falcons are not going to draft a QB to collect dust for the next 2-3 years. It defeats the purpose when you have holes on offense and defense.