If the Falcons traded Julio Jones today how confident would you feel with Calvin Ridley as our number 1 wide receiver?

3 hours ago, octoslash said:

Ridley's good but Julio is an immediate HOFer.

You would have to reap so much for him that it's simply ridiculous to even contemplate such a thing being possible.

It's fair that you cannot compare a 3 year guy to a certain HOFer, but Ridley's first 3 years blow the doors off Julio's first 3 years

Yes and Ridley will soon be paid as a #1. He’s not JJ and never will be but the dude is special.

We missed the boat on trading JJ two years ago. JJ could have a couple more JJ years but no one knows that for sure and his value is not what a was two years ago. I trade him in a heartbeat if the compensation was right. One of my favorite Falcons ever but turn him loose and give a shot to win a SB on contending team. 
We all gon miss #11 one of these days....same with MR2.

Thoughts, if we draft Pitts with the number 4. Can we trade Ridley for a first to a WR needy team who will most likely miss out on Chase or Smith Detroit, Green Bay.

Vikings got a first for Diggs and I personally believe Ridley is just as good if not better.

Reason why I think trading Ridley make sense.
   1. He is up for a contract extension in 2 years and in our current cap situation we will never be able to resign him.

2. We will never be able to resign him, Hurst and Oluokun.

Edited by head busta from augusta

2 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

It's fair that you cannot compare a 3 year guy to a certain HOFer, but Ridley's first 3 years blow the doors off Julio's first 3 years

Go back and have a look at the tape on that one and in year 3 Julio broke his foot.

Julio’s been on 2 teams that probably should have won a chip.

Ridleys first 3 years blew Julio’s first 3 years off.You gotta stop making this **** up.

https://youtu.be/EI82RsWcbIU

When’s Ridley looked like this in a game as big as this in his first 3 years.

9 hours ago, head busta from augusta said:

Thoughts, if we draft Pitts with the number 4. Can we trade Ridley for a first to a WR needy team who will most likely miss out on Chase or Smith Detroit, Green Bay.

Vikings got a first for Diggs and I personally believe Ridley is just as good if not better.

Reason why I think trading Ridley make sense.
   1. He is up for a contract extension in 2 years and in our current cap situation we will never be able to resign him.

2. We will never be able to resign him, Hurst and Oluokun.

It makes far more sense to draft Pitt’s, trade Julio and extend Ridley.

Paying Julio top market setting money in his 30’s to catch 5-6 TDs a year is poor use of our cap space.

Ridley is a good #1 but he is still not better than Julio Jones as of right now. In 2 years? Maybe. 

Julio in 9 games while missing significant time in 3 of those 9 games he played in (Dallas, GreenBay and New Orleans), still put up 771 yards. Think about that. He basically played 7.5 games and averaged 100 yards a game. 

Julio is a walking 1400+ every year even when missing a game or two a year. Ridley had a great year but theirs levels to this and Julio is an all-time great for a reason. 

7 hours ago, jidady said:

Draft picks and cap relief.

Nobody wants to trade the greatest Falcon ever. But if the right deal comes along, we'd have to consider it.

There is basically no cap relief until 2023.  39mil in dead cap over next two years if he was traded today, and only save 3mil in cap.  Trading him today would be absolutely worthless.  Here is the real question.  Would you rather:

a) Pay Julio 42 million to play here the next two years?

b) Pay Julio 39 million to NOT play here the next two years?

28 minutes ago, ukfalc said:

It makes far more sense to draft Pitt’s, trade Julio and extend Ridley.

Paying Julio top market setting money in his 30’s to catch 5-6 TDs a year is poor use of our cap space.

Not when you look at contracts and cap hits.

Ridley is an excellent WR, no matter who is lined up opposite him. He's our #1 now in every way that matters. The Falcons will pay him, I'm sure, just as they paid Julio.

What this regime probably won't do is pay him twice, which the previous regime should never have done with Julio. Reward him in his prime, and tag him a year if you must, but let someone else pay for that post-30 decline.

43 minutes ago, Rings said:

There is basically no cap relief until 2023.  39mil in dead cap over next two years if he was traded today, and only save 3mil in cap.  Trading him today would be absolutely worthless.  Here is the real question.  Would you rather:

a) Pay Julio 42 million to play here the next two years?

b) Pay Julio 39 million to NOT play here the next two years?

That's not correct. If he gets traded after June 1st, the Falcons would get $15 million in cap space with $7 million in dead money

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://bloggingdirty.com/2020/11/09/julio-jones-future-options/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwjVgZvOrorwAhXdKVkFHYoCDW8QFjACegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw3I5uiiKyHN-WQBHtwtAXRf&ampcf=1

4 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Yup.  You're right. 

But...ya think maybe lining up opposite Julio has a little to do with that?  lol 

Has a ton to do with that, no doubt. Just like Julio was helped with Roddy and Tony G his first few years. Goes to show no player is an island and the more weapons, the more production

17 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Lol? And you believe everything you read on the internet. Julio dead money won’t disappear with post June 1st trade. Falcons would still eat 23 M dead money spread over 3 years. 

11 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Lol? And you believe everything you read on the internet. Julio dead money won’t disappear with post June 1st trade. Falcons would still eat 23 M dead money spread over 3 years. 

I never said it would "disappear", but tell the WHOLE story.. not just what helps your point. 

$23.25 million in dead cap over 3 years ($7.75/year)

$38.33 million in cap savings over the same 3 year period ($12.78 million per year)

https://overthecap.com/player/julio-jones/813/

Edited by Mister pudding

2 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

I never said it would "disappear", but tell the WHOLE story.. not just what helps your point. 

$23.25 million in dead cap over 3 years ($7.75/year)

$38.33 million in cap savings over the same 3 year period ($12.78 million per year)

https://overthecap.com/player/julio-jones/813/

There is no 12 M savings per year. Julio doesn’t play on the team any more. But, Falcons will burn 23 M on a guy who isn’t even on the team. Falcons had 31 M in dead cap in 2020 for guys cut over the years. That’s not saving but taking out from the cap, which forces them to restructure players like Ryan and Grady. Then you are in same cap ****.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

There is no 12 M savings per year. Julio doesn’t play on the team any more. But, Falcons will burn 23 M on a guy who isn’t even on the team. Falcons had 31 M in dead cap in 2020 for guys cut over the years. That’s not saving but taking out from the cap, which forces them to restructure players like Ryan and Grady. Then you are in same cap ****.

It is cap money that is freed up from where it is now. If you look at the post from Rings that I responded to, he claimed there was only $3 million in cap relief freed up in two years with a Julio trade.. which is false. 

I'm not even advocating for anything, but facts matter to me. I'm not saying we'd be better off sans Julio and adding $12 million to our current cap situation in that time span, but I'm not going to be disingenuous regarding the situation either. 

"If"they did, Ridley would be fine in a better run offense and Would be a good #1.. but the trade Julio ship has sailed. If they was going to do that, should've done it while he was still on his old deal and people were throwing picks around like crazy for WRs at the time. Just don't see it happening now.