Multi-Tight End Set Utilization, and what it really means...

I've seen a few posters commenting on these boards about the utilization of multi tight end sets. It is typically used as a reason why we should draft Kyle Pitts. Now while I do think Pitts is a great prospect; the multi tight end set reasoning itself doesn't hold water.

Here's why:

I've seen it stated a few times that the Titans used a multi tight end set 40% of the time.

That isn't accurate, in the 2020 the Titans used a multi tight end set 38% of the time.

It's a small difference granted; I think the reason it gets overstated is because 40% looks aesthetically more pleasing than 38%, and is visually it's a more eye popping number.

https://www.sportstalkatl.com/falcons-hayden-hurst-should-thrive-in-arthur-smiths-offense/

In 2020 the Titans ran a total number of 1031 plays.

38% of that number is 391.78.

So let’s say 392 plays were ran in the 2 to 3 tight end sets. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2020.htm

In 2020 the Titans targeted their tight ends 146 times.

Titans attempted 485 pass plays this season.

Which is .301; so let's say that 30% of the passes went towards their tight ends in general. 

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/reports/targets-distribution/te.php

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/football/nfl/player/8009/mycole-pruitt

https://www.nfl.com/teams/tennessee-titans/stats

Titans run ratio last season was 51.8%. (203 run plays in a 2-3 TE set)

The Titans targeted their RBs on passing plays 61 times.

Which means that they targeted their RBs 12.5% of the time on passing plays.

Using 12.5% of the 392 leaves us with 49 plays. 

Which means that 252 total plays would have been directed towards the RBs.

https://www.fantasysp.com/target-touch-leaders/TEN/all

2 -3 TE Utilization % Breakdown:

TEs: 30%

RBs: 64.3%

WRs: 5.7%

70% of the play calling isn't directed towards the TE

Now let’s just say, for arguments sake, that all 146 TE targets fell under the entire 392 plays in the 2 to 3 TE set (which it wouldn’t).

That would be .3724, let's say 38%,

That would still mean that only 38% max of the 2-3 tight end set were passing plays.

Titans run ratio last season was 51.8%. If that number holds true that means that there were 203 run plays in the 2-3 TE sets.

Which means that if we use these numbers that leaves 10.2% of receptions went to other positions on the field.

So that means that 62% of the offense doesn’t run through the tight end position in a 2-3 tight end; even when maxed out.

https://fftoday.com/stats/20_run_pass_ratios.html

Point of all this is that the multiple tight end sets were used for the run game and not to showcase the tight end position.

Smith using 38% multiple tight end formations isn’t a taking point to draft Pitts.

If anything, it’s more of a highlight and talking point to draft an RB. 

Ok i decided to read the rest of this nonsense.

Who cares what the Titans offensive play calls were? They had Derrick Henry, Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser. Of course the ball is going to henry. If it didn't I wouldn't want him as our HC because he wouldn't be using his talent properly. Do we have a Derrick Henry? Is there one in the draft? No. I'm not sure what kind of point you was trying to make here, but you missed.

14 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I've seen a few posters commenting on these boards about the utilization of multi tight end sets. It is typically used as a reason why we should draft Kyle Pitts. Now while I do think Pitts is a great prospect; the multi tight end set reasoning itself doesn't hold water.

Point of all this is that the multiple tight end sets were used for the run game and not to showcase the tight end position.

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm not sure what kind of point you was trying to make here, but you missed.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So your point is that we shouldn't draft Pitts because the Titans chose to run with Henry instead of utilizing Anthony Firkser?

Great point bro. just lol

Nope not at all, who brought up that we shouldn't draft Pitts. I even highlighted what my main talking point was; which was stating statistics and utilization for the 2-3 tight end set reasoning alone. Everything else as to why to draft Pitts is still on board. I'll maintain proper decorum and not bite on the obvious troll baiting. Feel free to post some numbers/stats if you like to rebuke the stats provided, it'll serve your point much better than the ad hominem you've done so far.

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

So your point is that we shouldn't draft Pitts because the Titans chose to run with Henry instead of utilizing Anthony Firkser?

Great point bro. just lol

He gets hurt and calls you a troll but also tries to play the high road while also down voting every post you make. Lol 

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Nope not at all, who brought up that we shouldn't draft Pitts. I even highlighted what my main talking point which was stating statistics and utilization for the 2-3 tight end set reasoning alone. Everything else as to why to draft Pitts is still on board. I'll maintain proper decorum and not bite on the obvious troll baiting. Feel free to post some numbers/stats if you like to rebuke the stats provided, it'll serve your point much better than the ad hominem you've done so far.

Just now, Ovie_Lover said:

He gets hurt and calls you a troll but also tries to play the high road while also down voting every post you make. Lol 

Downvoting because of the condescension in his posts. That's part of the reason why the system is in place for. There's a big difference between a downvote and engaging in never ending mudslinging.

2 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Nope not at all, who brought up that we shouldn't draft Pitts. I even highlighted what my main talking point was; which was stating statistics and utilization for the 2-3 tight end set reasoning alone. Everything else as to why to draft Pitts is still on board. I'll maintain proper decorum and not bite on the obvious troll baiting. Feel free to post some numbers/stats if you like to rebuke the stats provided, it'll serve your point much better than the ad hominem you've done so far.

Offensive play calls that the Titans made WITH TITANS PERSONNEL has zero bearing on what would be called here. None. Nada. Zilch. We and 31 other teams do not have a 30 carry a game battering ram that the Titans have. I'm not real sure how that is so hard to grasp. Do you honestly think that the play calls will be the same when one team would have mike davis, kyle pitts and hayden hurst and the other team has Derrick Henry, Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser? You honestly believe that? If thats the case we might as well fire Smith right now.

Just now, Sidecar Falcon said:

Downvoting because of the condescension in his posts. That's part of the reason why the system is in place for. There's a big difference between a downvote and engaging in never ending mudslinging.

You forgot to downvote the first person that posted in this thread making fun of your silly point. Must have slipped by.

Just now, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Offensive play calls that the Titans made WITH TITANS PERSONNEL has zero bearing on what would be called here. None. Nada. Zilch. We and 31 other teams do not have a 30 carry a game battering ram that the Titans have. I'm not real sure how that is so hard to grasp. Do you honestly think that the play calls will be the same when one team would have mike davis, kyle pitts and hayden hurst and the other team has Derrick Henry, Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser? You honestly believe that? If thats the case we might as well fire Smith right now.

If we are talking about personnel then we will already have Jones, Ridley, Gage, and Hurst already on the team. We also picked up Mike Davis. There are only so many targets on the team in that case. Pitts will eat, but not to the extent that most might believe. He'll be a tertiary target behind Jones and Ridley. Familiarity between Ryan and Jones/Ridley will likely mean he'll target them more often, as is the case in many franchises.

That being said, getting back to the multi tight end set, if it has nothing to do with the way of Atlanta, then why is it used as a talking point as to why we should draft Pitts?

5 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think Tremble, Friermuth or even Eubanks will be available and meet the criteria of being a TE that can help is.  We still have have Graham, traded for Smith, and Hurst as the incumbent.  Pitts is a nice piece however.  To get a look on the Falcons board......

Tremble is on my radar. Love his blocking and is a good athlete. Raw prospect, between Smith, and Hurst, I think they can develop him into an all around TE. 

6 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think Tremble, Friermuth or even Eubanks will be available and meet the criteria of being a TE that can help is.  We still have have Graham, traded for Smith, and Hurst as the incumbent.  Pitts is a nice piece however.  To get a look on the Falcons board......

If they don’t get Pitts. No need to waste a second or third on those guys. Just pick Kenny in 4th round. There is too much talent to waste in second round and third on TE. The fall from Pitts is huge and the rest of the guys are very similar. 

1 minute ago, falcons007 said:

If they don’t get Pitts. No need to waste a second or third on those guys. Just pick Kenny in 4th round. There is too much talent to waste in second round and third on TE. The fall from Pitts is huge and the rest of the guys are very similar. 

Truth.  I like Tremble in the third.  Eubanks can be had in the fourth, possibly?  God, who even knows...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just now, Herr Doktor said:

Truth.  I like Tremble in the third.  Eubanks can be had in the fourth, possibly?  God, who even knows...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I like Tremble too but there is too much talent at other positions to waste it on Tremble. He is not BPA in third. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Agreed. I think Tremble falls to the 4th though too. Friermuth may make it to the 3rd. I suspect that a few of these remaining prospects at other positions fall, pushing some quality players further than they should go. 

2 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

And we still have Hurst for a year.  I think Smith was a two year deal.  Could be wrong.  Tremble would be a nice piece.

Notre Dame has been consistent with putting out decent TEs in the past. They aren't world beaters but solid pieces. I'd spend a 4th round pick on Tremble. 

We had Hurst last year and he was relatively below average in the red zone.

Our kicker was a top scorer last season because we continually got to the red zone but couldn’t convert them into TD’s.

Pitts was a red zone monster for UF (in addition to a 1st down converting machine).

Not only is 38% usage of 12 personnel actually a crap ton of snaps utilizing 2+ TE’s still, but the bigger point that if we can even just kick 1 less field goal a game and score 1 more TD a game, simply because we’re converting red zone appearances into TD’s, we’ve just added 4ppg and potentially won 6 more games last season.

2 minutes ago, Beef said:

We had Hurst last year and he was relatively below average in the red zone.

Our kicker was a top scorer last season because we continually got to the red zone but couldn’t convert them into TD’s.

Pitts was a red zone monster for UF (in addition to a 1st down converting machine).

Not only is 38% usage of 12 personnel actually a crap ton of snaps utilizing 2+ TE’s still, but the bigger point that if we can even just kick 1 less field goal a game and score 1 more TD a game, simply because we’re converting red zone appearances into TD’s, we’ve just added 4ppg and potentially won 6 more games last season.

I agree with you on some stand points. Our RZ was below average predominately because DK's play calling was pretty much useless inside the 20. Right along with an inability to run the ball. I wouldn't place too much blame Hurst for RZ issues since that was across the board.

The 38% is if we took every single TE target on the team for all plays and placed it into just the 2-3 TE portion. To give the max result.

I can agree that Pitts could conceivably increase the RZ percentage. It would be hard to quantify because I think Smith will be a much better play caller than DK. So finding what the real catalyst was will be a fools errand. I have little doubt that Pitts will be a good player, he is way too talented. I must admit that a 3 TE set with Pitts would be potent. Imagine him being inline and then forcing the opposing team to keep an extra DB there then running it down their throat. Or if they put an LB/S there, splitting him out wide and forcing them to pick their poison.