Terry Fontenot - Risk/Reward and the psychology and vision of the Falcons GM

So the connections with Falcons and QBs Justin Fields and Trey Lance are gaining more steam.   Of course this has always been the case but with draft 11 days away everything becomes magnified. 

You all have seen “NINERS-Justin Fields” seems to be the way the winds are blowing now and me thinks that was likely always the most likely outcome.

While we have all been debating the players the Falcons should draft at #4 or trade down on TATF - I believe it is more interesting right now to see what this 2021 NFL Draft will tell us about the new man sitting in the Falcons GM chair - TERRY FONTENOT.   Is he a riverboat gambler?  Is he a conservative & cautious?  Something in between?  Quick fix? Long term horizon?

Personally I am receptive to whichever direction Terry Fontenot goes.   

I do believe taking a QB at #4 tells you something about Fontenot - whether Fields or Lance but even moreso  if it’s Lance.   Grabbing Lance tells you Fontenot is ultra-confident in his own vision for the Atlanta Falcons and that he has a thick skin.   Should Fontenot pull the tag for Trey Lance you can bet there will be tremendous criticism of the pick and the vision in the NFL media and across most of the fans.   It also tells you Fontenot is not afraid to “Dare to be Great”.   It also shows you he has patience to get his team the way he wants it over a period of time.

I won’t even debate “the players” (Fields/Lance) - we have 100 other threads to debate those players - but we are going to see a learn a lot about an unknown commodity at this point....Terry Fontenot, the Falcons GM.

A clear vision for the future, with the right people | Falcons General  Manager Terry Fontenot

Every ounce of logic in existence regarding the Falcons says we’re not picking a QB.

Just not sure if everyone who thinks we are is not processing all the signs or they’re just biased and stary-eyed about prospect highlights while holding some strange dislike for Matt Ryan.

Edited by Beef

1 minute ago, Beef said:

Every ounce of logic in existence regarding the Falcons says we’re not picking a QB.

Just not sure if everyone who thinks we are is not processing all the signs or they’re just biased and stary-eyed about prospect highlights while holding some strange dislike for Matt Ryan.

You are inserting your own thoughts and feelings here - not the point of the thread.

I am not advocating that Fontenot pick a QB here.

Please go to one of the other 100 threads to advance your “non-QB” feelings.

3 minutes ago, Beef said:

If all signs point to them not taking a QB then why did they not give Ryan an extension instead of a restructure?

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

You are inserting your own thoughts and feelings here - not the point of the thread.

I’m not debating the players, like you asked. This is about TF.

And it isn’t “feelings”, there are literally signs hinting to what TF will do (or actually won’t do is a better way to put it), and every sign points at him not drafting a QB at 4.

I don’t get why this wouldn’t be relative to your topic.

7 minutes ago, Beef said:

I’m not debating the players, like you asked. This is about TF.

And it isn’t “feelings”, there are literally signs hinting to what TF will do (or actually won’t do is a better way to put it), and every sign points at him not drafting a QB at 4.

I don’t get why this wouldn’t be relative to your topic.

There are not necessarily signs pointing to Falcons not taking a QB - there are simply moves Fontenot made that you INTERPRET  for your own confirmation bias.

The Ryan restructure left the door open that he MIGHT be on the team in 2022 but far from certain and we have seen two guys moved this off-season with huge dead caps in a year where salary cap way down.  Next year the salary cap will be higher again.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There aren’t signs pointing to Falcons not taking a QB - there are simply moves Fontenot made that you are using for your own confirmation bias.

Yeah right. You can take what TF has done so far and draw multiple conclusions. People usually draw the conclusion that they want to happen or get triggered and rant about the conclusion that they dont want. Just look the posts in every draft thread lol

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah right. You can take what TF has done so far and draw multiple conclusions. People usually draw the conclusion that they want to happen or get triggered and rant about the conclusion that they dont want. Just look the posts in every draft thread lol

Exactly.  Not sure why this is directed at me instead of Beef.

4 minutes ago, Cole World said:

If all signs point to them not taking a QB then why did they not give Ryan an extension instead of a restructure?

Because you don’t need to extend a 36 year old QB with 3 years still left on his contract.

But you also don’t make it impossible to cut him or fiscally insane to make him ride the bench for those 3 years either if your intent is to go with a different QB.

You also don’t do an interview with Dave Archer effectively telling the world Matt Ryan is your guy and scouting prospect QB’s is merely due diligence in case you eventually play against them.

You also don’t make Chris Mortensen change his “TF and AS aren’t aligned” to “My mistake they are aligned” if your “TF wants a QB, AS doesn’t” story is true.

I also don’t think you attend multiple pro days and do 3-4 zoom calls with a few non-QB prospects (something you’re not doing as extensive with QB prospects) if QB is your target all along.

Have we done anything beyond attending multiple pro days of the QB prospects?  I’m not sure we have. But Pitts is on his 3rd zoom call with us already, for instance.

That’s of course not a sure thing, but when combined with all the other things, the logic is pointing one direction.

2 minutes ago, Beef said:

Because you don’t need to extend a 36 year old QB with 3 years still left on his contract.

But you also don’t make it impossible to cut him or fiscally insane to make him ride the bench for those 3 years either if your intent is to go with a different QB.

You also don’t do an interview with Dave Archer effectively telling the world Matt Ryan is your guy and scouting prospect QB’s is merely due diligence in case you eventually play against them.

You also don’t make Chris Mortensen change his “TF and AS aren’t aligned” to “My mistake they are aligned” if your “TF wants a QB, AS doesn’t” story is true.

I also don’t think you attend multiple pro days and do 3-4 zoom calls with a few non-QB prospects (something you’re not doing as extensive with QB prospects) if QB is your target all along.

Have we done anything beyond attending multiple pro days of the QB prospects?  I’m not sure we have. But Pitts is on his 3rd zoom call with us already, for instance.

That’s of course not a sure thing, but when combined with all the other things, the logic is pointing one direction.

Terry Fontenot is taking a QB in this draft - he has virtually said as much - he didn't specify a round did he?   Please link me to where Fontenot said "we will take a QB but after the 1st round."

You are kind of acting childish in this thread and you have missed the whole point of it - please go to another thread and discuss your hatred for QBs in the 1st round - you are derailing my thread with your confirmation bias.

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There are not necessarily signs pointing to Falcons not taking a QB - there are simply moves Fontenot made that you INTERPRET  for your own confirmation bias.

The Ryan restructure left the door open that he MIGHT be on the team in 2022 but far from certain and we have seen two guys moved this off-season with huge dead caps in a year where salary cap way down.  Next year the salary cap will be higher again.

*shrug*
$65M in dead money is me using confirmation bias??

AB saying he wants to win now, which drafting a QB with our top pick won’t help, is just confirmation bias??

Okay, I guess.

I'm not sure how ANYONE can make a strong argument any which way for who we select.  None of us are privvy to TF's draft board.  We have NO idea which QBs they covet more than others.  From the outside looking in, I see a team doing serious evaluation and roster building.  I have almost no clue who or how we are stacking these kids.  None.  And I have looked as much evidence as I can.

1 minute ago, Beef said:

*shrug*
$65M in dead money is me using confirmation bias??

AB saying he wants to win now, which drafting a QB with our top pick won’t help, is just confirmation bias??

Okay, I guess.

Ryan is not moving before June 2nd 2022 if the team wants an optimal roster situation for 2022.

And, the rest is wishful thinking.

See what Ryan does back in a legit offense. Not hard to understand this basic concept.

It’s why they made it harder to move him in early 2022 by restructuring.

Why? He fits the current plans. How long he does is the debate. Atlanta certainly needs a backup QB. The rest is media drooling. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Beef said:

I don't even disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but you completely missed the point of this thread

43 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Your numerous threads advocating falcons take a QB say otherwise, my friend. 

As far as your push back to beef....So this is just an echo-chamber thread .....no differing/dissenting opinions allowed? 🤓

Love ya, my brother. What a fascinating time to be a falcon fan.

Just now, Vandy said:

Your numerous threads advocating falcons take a QB say otherwise, my friend. 

As far as your push back to beef....So this is just another echo-chamber one...no dissenting opinions allowed? 🤓

Love ya, my brother. What a fascinating time to be a falcon fan.

gosh not you, too - i know you are educated but your reading comprehension sucks my friend - go back and re-read the OP.   #goodgrief

51 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So the connections with Falcons and QBs Justin Fields and Trey Lance are gaining more steam.   Of course this has always been the case but with draft 11 days away everything becomes magnified. 

You all have seen “NINERS-Justin Fields” seems to be the way the winds are blowing now and me thinks that was likely always the most likely outcome.

While we have all been debating the players the Falcons should draft at #4 or trade down on TATF - I believe it is more interesting right now to see what this 2021 NFL Draft will tell us about the new man sitting in the Falcons GM chair - TERRY FONTENOT.   Is he a riverboat gambler?  Is he a conservative & cautious?  Something in between?  Quick fix? Long term horizon?

Personally I am receptive to whichever direction Terry Fontenot goes.   

I do believe taking a QB at #4 tells you something about Fontenot - whether Fields or Lance but even moreso  if it’s Lance.   Grabbing Lance tells you Fontenot is ultra-confident in his own vision for the Atlanta Falcons and that he has a thick skin.   Should Fontenot pull the tag for Trey Lance you can bet there will be tremendous criticism of the pick and the vision in the NFL media and across most of the fans.   It also tells you Fontenot is not afraid to “Dare to be Great”.   It also shows you he has patience to get his team the way he wants it over a period of time.

I won’t even debate “the players” (Fields/Lance) - we have 100 other threads to debate those players - but we are going to see a learn a lot about an unknown commodity at this point....Terry Fontenot, the Falcons GM.

I agree. I think we're all over the place on who will be drafted because we don't know exactly how TF attacks the draft and team building. We have ideas from his interviews and time in NOLA but everything is on the table right now. I think this time next year we'll have a better idea of who and how he likes to draft.