Jump to content

Worst draft to have the 4th pick ever?


Recommended Posts

The lack of a tier 1 safety or edge stinks but their are several highly desirable players creates several  trade down options. If there was no demand for trade up and picks slotted 4-6( or worse deeper) were just wide reciever( yes I understand the argument why a pass catcher is need due to contracts and Julio age) then I think we would be in a bad position 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this is the best draft ever to have the 4th pick. A highly rated QB is there if they want him, a highly rated TE, a highly rated OT, or and my first option, teams that want this spot and would

I think the Falcons are trying to sell Lance and Pitts.  Secretly, I think they want Sewell. 

Here’s the deal FalconsFrenzy, it’s time to knock it off with this defeatist attitude my brother. You’ve managed to convince yourself that our 4th overall pick in a loaded draft class is somehow

Posted Images

If there was a premier DE this would be one of the best years ever. This year there will be a:

QB who would be viewed as a #1 prospect in other years available. And there will be 2 of them available!

TE has a high ceiling and enormous potential 

OT who has been rated top 5 consistently for 2 years now. Personally I've never had so much fun watching an OT play as I do watching Sewell 

WR- Smith, Chase... Both hold college football records. I love Smith and think he will be very special if he can figure out how to play with his slight frame 

CB- Surtain has bloodlines and has been a consistent pillar on Bama defence. I like Horn better but to get him at 4 would be seen as a reach.

LB Micah Parsons.

Its a great year to have 4!

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Not even close to the worst year ever to have 4...just seems like it because needs and BPA don’t line up this year. That said, I still feelif guys like Sewell, Parsons, Rosseau played in 2020 and built off their awesome 2019 campaigns folks wouldn’t feel this way. All 3 of those guys could have used another year of playing, as they are elite prospects, but raw and need to refine their craft more.

Needs and BPA do line up... with Pitts.

AS isn’t going to run 12 personnel with only Hurst and Smith as the feature/lead TE’s. Every defense would key on just Hurst, and he’s really only an above average possession receiver.  Graham and Becker are camp bodies who likely won’t make the 53, much less the 46 who dress.

TE is without question a need, and the best prospect arguably ever will be sitting there at 4.

Edited by Beef
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I'm assuming Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields go 1, 2, 3. I'm not fond of the idea of selecting a player who opted out of the 2020 season. I get the reasoning and I respect it. However, I feel there's more risk with those players.

This narrows the field down to Pitts or Surtain. I think the ideal situation for Atlanta is to trade down. Problem? I don't think a trade will happen because I don't think anyone will offer ATL sufficient compensation. ATL isn't exactly in the market for a QB and everyone knows it. If one of the 3 mentioned above was available I think the interest in teams trading with Atlanta is much greater. Staying put and taking Pitts or Surtain is the plan B.

Plan B isn't terrible but not exactly ideal either. Pitts plays a position that typically doesn't get selected this high. Surtain has the bloodlines and plays a position in higher demand. However, does anyone think he's worthy of the 4th overall pick? I have no clue. I do feel like the Atlanta curse is setting new precedence.

My gut tells me the Falcons take Pitts. Let's hope he can become the best player in the draft to justify the selection at 4 and we can debate about who the best TE of all time is, Gonzalez or Pitts. 

Highest pick used on a TE = #4 in 1957. It's not just untypical, it's basically unheard of

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

If I remember, they've visited/talked with quite a few DBs that are mid to late round guys. Maybe a double dip in that area.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Yes. They talked to the CB from first round to late rounders. 

Surtain: 1st round

Asante Samuel Jr: A possible 2nd round target. 

Trill Williams: 3-4 

Darren Hall/Tay Gowan: 5-7 Rounds or UDFA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the deal FalconsFrenzy, it’s time to knock it off with this defeatist attitude my brother.

You’ve managed to convince yourself that our 4th overall pick in a loaded draft class is somehow a problem & a curse. I’m actually sitting here trying not to allow your depressing, negative view to affect my spirit.

I come against that spirit of defeat right now. We’re in a win/win situation that 28 other teams would be envious of right now. The reality is we’re not cursed but rather we’ve not had the best decision makers in place to close out Super Bowls or put enough talent together to get the job done with a great QB at the helm.

I’m willing to see that we’ve been a product of our own mismanagement. The fact that our QB has seen so many coaching & scheme transformations speaks to that. So does the fact that we’re always lacking key elements like a solid D or edge rushers or Oline consistency etc.  But especially the fact that we’ve consistently been out smarted & out schemed over recent years.

That’s not a curse, it’s the inability to get all the key pieces in place at one time. And when we did have what it took, our coaches weren’t smart enough to finish it out properly.

Hope & prosperity are here again with TF & AS and the next couple of years we’re going to see smarter & more sound judgement & accountability.  We’re in awesome shape at the top of the draft for 7 rounds.  Go birds!!!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

I think the Falcons are trying to sell Lance and Pitts.  Secretly, I think they want Sewell. 

I am not sure that Atlanta has to sell anything to the rest of the league.  It is widely assumed that the first three picks will be QB's. That leaves another two QB's and the best non-QB's on the board for us.  

Does anyone really think that by sending a bunch of guys on a private plane to ND will cause another organization to panic and make an outstanding offer?  Nah.  NFL teams are smarter than that.

Besides not having a great pass rusher, this is not a bad draft to have the #4 pick.  Pitts and Sewell can both make impacts on this team and become foundation players for the next decade.  

Pees schemes pass rushes better than most DC's.  T-M and Fowler should see their numbers improve.  And, there will be developmental pass rushers available from rounds 2-4.  

We are in a good draft position and will begin the rebuild/reload with quality young players.   

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

They contribute day one.

Pitts would. I'm sure Sewell would play immediately, but I think he'll need several games before he isn't a liability.

Maybe even a year before he is better than just middle of the pack. He hasn't played in a hot minute, so hopefully he's training with someone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I'm assuming Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields go 1, 2, 3. I'm not fond of the idea of selecting a player who opted out of the 2020 season. I get the reasoning and I respect it. However, I feel there's more risk with those players.

This narrows the field down to Pitts or Surtain. I think the ideal situation for Atlanta is to trade down. Problem? I don't think a trade will happen because I don't think anyone will offer ATL sufficient compensation. ATL isn't exactly in the market for a QB and everyone knows it. If one of the 3 mentioned above was available I think the interest in teams trading with Atlanta is much greater. Staying put and taking Pitts or Surtain is the plan B.

Plan B isn't terrible but not exactly ideal either. Pitts plays a position that typically doesn't get selected this high. Surtain has the bloodlines and plays a position in higher demand. However, does anyone think he's worthy of the 4th overall pick? I have no clue. I do feel like the Atlanta curse is setting new precedence.

My gut tells me the Falcons take Pitts. Let's hope he can become the best player in the draft to justify the selection at 4 and we can debate about who the best TE of all time is, Gonzalez or Pitts. 

 

I would kill to have a Chase Young in this draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Actually, probably the best possible time to have #4 overall. Top 3 picks are all QBs. Falcons don’t need a QB. Therefore the Falcons get the best player available. 

Simple concept. Folks just wished it was a Chase Young DE since we haven’t had an elite DE since Johnathan Abraham 55.

The thing is, there are still very good defensive prospects. Atlanta could draft Parsons or Surtain, etc. it could trade down. It just “feels” less optimal because it’s not a DE.

Consider both Sewell and Parsons didn’t play in 2020.

What if they had? Probably their stock is even higher.

Instead, highlight play prospects get the most attention in the media.

An OL is boring. Parsons having a nose for the football is boring. To ratings anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, falcons007 said:

I would like that too. But I don’t want Falcons to trade down for peanuts. Get a good deal, trade down or just grab the best non QB BPA.

If you trade down and still get the guy you wanted then it’s worth it no matter what the compensation is.  Let’s say we dropped from 4 to 9 for a 2nd and 3rd this year and a 2nd next.  I don’t know the chart for picks but assume that would be way less and we’d get reamed for taking the trade.  But what if a guy like Surtain is who we want and he’s there at 9.  We still get our guy and the picks.  Not saying we should or they will do this but I wouldn’t be upset if they came back and said yeah we wanted Surtain and were prepared to take him at 4 but got a trade offer at the last minute so we gambled that we could get him at 9 and it worked.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

At least one common thing about great TE's (if Pitts turns out to be one) is that they have long careers over 10 seasons - Gonzalez, Gates, Gronkowski, Sharpe, Witten, Graham, etc.

If not for the backup QB position, the average career length of a QB would be much less, RB's are usually exhausted in 4 years, and WR's & CB's slow down from all-pro level after 3-5 seasons.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

If you trade down and still get the guy you wanted then it’s worth it no matter what the compensation is.  Let’s say we dropped from 4 to 9 for a 2nd and 3rd this year and a 2nd next.  I don’t know the chart for picks but assume that would be way less and we’d get reamed for taking the trade.  But what if a guy like Surtain is who we want and he’s there at 9.  We still get our guy and the picks.  Not saying we should or they will do this but I wouldn’t be upset if they came back and said yeah we wanted Surtain and were prepared to take him at 4 but got a trade offer at the last minute so we gambled that we could get him at 9 and it worked.   

If they were looking for a guy later close to 9. Sure. But again it depends on how they view Pitts/Chase or Sewell or who ever at #4 to Surtain at #9. Would TF and AS see the guys at 4 worth an extra pick and Surtain? Or they think say a guy like Pitts is once in generational talent. It's all about how they view the combined value. The more top round picks you can get at #9, the higher the value of Surtain and those picks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I think this is the best draft ever to have the 4th pick. A highly rated QB is there if they want hi, a highly rated TE, a highly rated OT, or and my first option, teams that want this spot and would give their right cajones (means they would give up a lot of picks for this spot) so no, this is a great position to be in this year. 

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...