The prospect nobody is talking about

His name is Gregory Rousseau.

I get it. He's not an experienced prospect. He opted out of the COVID season. His pro day numbers didn't blow people's minds. Every possible reason for not liking him, I get it. 

What I also get is that he's a massive individual, who did run well in the 40, including a 1.57 10 yard split.  Sure he was a little stiff, but at nearly 6'7, with elephant trunks for arms, you can do a lot with that alone. Pees in particular could use a guy like him in many ways. Manny Diaz praised him for having a high motor as well. The tape even shows he gives a lot of effort.

Pee's system calls for versatility. Miami lined him up nearly everywhere, including NT, and the guy produced 15.5 sacks. We already lack impact edge rushers as it is. So adding a guy who can rush on the edge, line up inside, and maybe drop into coverage sparingly would be a nice addition to Pee's plan.

What makes him even more intriguing is that he's fallen hard, and could be had in a trade down scenario where we still get a high 1st, and have the ammunition to trade back into the first for him. We need more defenders, and this is one of those ways to get those high upside guys that's not considered to be elite, top 5 talents. Wouldn't it be nice to trade down, pick up Jaelen Phillips and Greg Rousseau?

Like I mentioned earlier, he lacks in a few areas for sure. I wouldn't be upset at anyone who challenges that side of the prospect, but with the coaching we have now, he can learn a lot and add additional mass to be the perfect 3-4 DE, and play in space. 2-3 years down the road, I think he'll be one of those guys we say we wish we had no matter who we pick in the draft this year. I could easily be wrong, but I think he's well worth the attention.

8 hours ago, Spongebob said:

I thought you were gonna say Justin Fields 😂

Understandable with TATF talk no a days, but he definitely wasn't going to be the guy. 

I will say, I have come around more on Fields being a possibility at 4 if he fell there. I liked him before, but his pro day brought his initial flavor back to me.

8 hours ago, irrevelantfalconsfan said:

I don't know about picking him in round 1 unless we trade back to mid-to-late 20's. If he's there at 35, it's a steal.

and that's about where I would expect to take him these days. I guess i'm wishing that TF is considering him at least in a possible trade down, and capitalize on his fall. Like you said, he's a steal in the 2nd round. I just don't see him getting out of the first round. Similar to Sweat a few years ago.

8 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

You admitted he is sort of an enigma. Fonte is blessed with a #4 pick and the start to his drafting legacy. Not saying he won't be good or great, but he would be a risky pick in the mid-first. Late 1st or early 2nd, go for it

Enigma for sure. I know Fonte talks a lot about BPA, but I wonder if he's into these kind of guys outside of just being the BPA among others available.

1 minute ago, Geaux_Falcons said:

That's exactly the scenario I see coming with him. He'll go to a playoff team, and BOOM! He's now the #1 pick on a re-draft somewhere.

Yeah that's how I see him. Whoever gets him will get someone special. 

4 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Rousseau was really good a couple seasons ago.  Is he still?  That's my question.  Does a guy who chose to sit a year still have the fire he had in 2019?  Not trying to be a jerk in asking, just asking.  He selected not playing over being a starter at The U.  Does he still have it?

Well dang, have you said this about any of the other top players who chose to sit out? I guess people shouldn't be talking about Jamarr Chase still going top 10

4 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Rousseau was really good a couple seasons ago.  Is he still?  That's my question.  Does a guy who chose to sit a year still have the fire he had in 2019?  Not trying to be a jerk in asking, just asking.  He selected not playing over being a starter at The U.  Does he still have it?

I don’t think you are being a jerk in my mind every prospect who sat out has to answer similar questions. How did they spend their time? Did the use it to refine their craft or did they just sit on their butts for a year. How a person spends long periods of time off works tells a lot about character and work ethic

I watched the NFL Network interview with Rousseau. Says he's working with Chuck Smith and when asked about his pass rush Rouseaseau was extremely knowledgeable about moves and how to beat the lineman. A team who drafts him won't be looking for a quick player common with today's pass rushers however NFL network mentioned Rousseau had the same times as Jason Pierre Paul. Could be a steal whoever gets him. Seems to have passion for the game when you here him talk.

I'd be willing if he falls to round 2 or we somehow end up far back in the first. Something is telling me though that we aren't moving. Would love to see him there at 35. Our 2nd round pick is going to tell a lot. Someone always slides back into that area who was rated round 1. Do we take a guy like that or are we set on what we want already?

It's going to be interesting. 

8 hours ago, thanat0s said:

We had a thread about him back at the first of the year. He's a tremendous physical specimen, to be sure. If he gets to us in r2 I'd be all about him. Yes, it's just one year if production, but that was an incredible year.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that thread now. 

Like you said, the 1 year of production was just incredible, and he even says it on Mike Florio show that he believes it speaks volume to how good he can be.  I too wish he would make it to 35. I just don't see it. Man it would be nice to clean up on some of these mid-late 1st defensive guys.

8 hours ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

He’s fallen pretty hard but if he’s there at 35 I’d be down for drafting him.  If we were to trade back to the 15-25 range and Najee is still there I’d take have to take Najee.  

I don't think Najee is that great. He's a talent for sure, but if not Rousseau, I could name a bunch of others I would take over Najee in that range.