Falcons sign S Duron Harmon and Multi-tool WR/KR/RB Cordarrelle Patterson

Just now, autigerfan said:

Harmon seems very solid and should hold down one of the safety spots.  I am a little surprised we opened up the wallet for Patterson as it was reported he received $3M which seems rich for a returner only.  Perhaps AS has visions of getting him more involved on the offensive side. 

He's definitely not just a return man.

1 minute ago, autigerfan said:

Harmon seems very solid and should hold down one of the safety spots.  I am a little surprised we opened up the wallet for Patterson as it was reported he received $3M which seems rich for a returner only.  Perhaps AS has visions of getting him more involved on the offensive side. 

Makes sense!

1 minute ago, jfalconsp said:

Not familiar with Harmon but judging by the reactions I should be pleased. Any safety help is welcome at this point leading into the draft.

Ive seen a decent amount of his work, he's a safety that can play anywhere and while not a turnover machine if he gets his hands on it he will get interception unlike Neal. he will be good for the type of Defense we're trying to run

Love both of these, but especially the Harmon signing. I would bet money he will be our starting SS this year. 

Pff's top safeties heading into last season:

23. DURON HARMON, DETROIT LIONS

Offseason additions like Harmon are the reason I think there’s a decent chance this Lions defense should look better this season than it did last year despite losing Darius Slay at cornerback. He’s been an important and reliable piece of a very good Patriots’ secondary for years, playing 500-plus snaps and grading at 68.0 or higher in each of the past five seasons. Harmon has also shown a knack for making timely big plays. His eight fourth-quarter interceptions since 2015 are more than any other safety

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-top-25-safeties-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

It's clear to me we are going to suck. Unless we have a stellar class of rookies. Falcons are signing role players to fill spots and starters. 

I know the cap situation is not the best. I just recall a poster or two thinking we will be a 9,10 win team in 2021. I'm not even going to say 8-8 at this point. Draft has to be really good and cover a lot of holes with rookies that can produce. 

Both these veteran safeties we signed are intelligent football players.

Erik Harris may not be highly athletic, but one of his strengths was being in good position and reading the play well. He is also 220lbs and can play in box or in outfield. He was improperly used as a single high safety with Raiders, but it is high intelligence, instincts and versatile that make him a good fit here in Pees defense. Maybe not as a starter, but I’m not ruling that out. it’s a far better signing that people realize simply due to how we use our safeties in Pees system to disguise coverages.

Now add veteran Duron Harmon at 6’1” 205lbs who has more range into the mix, as well as a rookie safety from draft to be trained under these veterans, as well as Jaylinn Hawkins, and we should be set at safety.  This signing was fantastic.

4 minutes ago, isproab said:

It's clear to me we are going to suck. Unless we have a stellar class of rookies. Falcons are signing role players to fill spots and starters. 

I know the cap situation is not the best. I just recall a poster or two thinking we will be a 9,10 win team in 2021. I'm not even going to say 8-8 at this point. Draft has to be really good and cover a lot of holes with rookies that can produce. 

We aren't filling holes in the draft.  That's the point of literally every one of these signings.

5 minutes ago, nuccah said:

Love both of these, but especially the Harmon signing. I would bet money he will be our starting SS this year. 

Pff's top safeties heading into last season:

23. DURON HARMON, DETROIT LIONS

Offseason additions like Harmon are the reason I think there’s a decent chance this Lions defense should look better this season than it did last year despite losing Darius Slay at cornerback. He’s been an important and reliable piece of a very good Patriots’ secondary for years, playing 500-plus snaps and grading at 68.0 or higher in each of the past five seasons. Harmon has also shown a knack for making timely big plays. His eight fourth-quarter interceptions since 2015 are more than any other safety

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-top-25-safeties-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

To be fair the Lions finished 32nd scoring defense and 32nd in yards. Probably not his fault but the Lions defense did not look better.

5 minutes ago, jdawg4876 said:

Even though I don't think he will get as many touches as you do he can and will definitely contribute on offense

He got 85 touches last season for the Bears -- 64 carries and 21 receptions.  I didn't look up how many targets.  I'd wager Arthur Smith has some ideas how to incorporate him in the offense.  He's the guy that was running jet sweeps with tight ends last season.

8 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

He's definitely not just a return man.

To be fair, sounds like Bears fan wish he was exactly just that. 

Listening to them, he is an elite return man (and from the few games I've seen, he has that spark on KRs that make you avoid giving him the opportunity). However, they hated how he was used on offense.