I heard no QB's are coming out next year...

I'm kidding. But every year it seems everyone acts like this is the final chance to grab a top QB. Guess what? There will be other "future stars" coming out next year and the year after who you probably haven't even heard of yet.

AB seems pretty committed to Ryan staying another few years. So it may be early to get a QB this draft when we have SO many other needs.

What I would do is trade down this year just a bit and get as many picks as possible. BUT, do it with a team who you think is going to be bad next year and will end up with a high draft pick. (Trade with Bengals or Dolphins, but not Patriots!) Then, we can choose best avail QB next year or the year after.

But everyone says "we won't be at #4 again!" Hopefully not naturally. But if we trade and get a first rounder next year with the Bengals or someone, we could absolutely have a pick in the top 10...combined with our first round pick...and we're right back up there next year. I would also package Julio in there with someone this year or next...LOVE the guy, but his injuries aren't going to get better as he ages... Trade him while he has huge value.

I would go defense big time this draft. I would trade down 3-10 places and try to get as many picks as possible with a team that is likely to tank next year. Then, next year get that QB who you haven't heard of yet.

My $.02.

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There might be a few decent ones.  The UNC Qb and Spencer Rattler from Oklahoma.

However, all 4 of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance would be QB1 if they were in the 2022 class.

Except you don't know that because 2022 hasn't been played. What happens when someone pulls a burrow next year? Nobody have a crap about wilson last year. Whose to say that another qb won't do what wilson did last year, next year? That's the point.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

There might be a few decent ones.  The UNC Qb and Spencer Rattler from Oklahoma.

However, all 4 of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance would be QB1 if they were in the 2022 class.

I mean, that may be true, and it may not be. At the start of the 2019 NCAA season, Joe Burrow was an afterthought. Before the 2018 season, nobody thought Daniel Jones would be a top pick. People knew Kyler Murray would be a first round draft pick, they just assumed (correctly) that it would be to play on the diamond.

Next years draft class could look like the 2018 QB draft class, or it could be more like this years draft class. We don't, and can't, know now. What we do know is that even Matt Ryan's detractors would have to admit that he is at least "serviceable," and he is here for at least 2 more years due to his contract.

If we take a QB at 4 this year, so be it. If we don't upgrade the starters around Ryan on the offense, or shore up the defense, we are more likely to be picking high again next year, and the year after that. Taking a QB in the first round this year, in my mind, does nothing to help the team now, and would likely mean that the QB drafted starts year 3 on a lesser team. Alternatively, if we take an impact player like Pitts, Sewell, or Surtain, or trade back and stockpile picks for the next 2 drafts, whatever QB is taken next year or the year after will come into a better team and have a higher chance of success. We would then have a starting QB (that hopefully works out) with at least 4 years on a cheap contract and hopefully a cap with less dead money. The window to win is longer, and the overall team seems more likely to be better.

But what do I know, I am not even great at my actual job, let alone Terry Fontenot's. 

2019: Folks would have laughed if you said Joe Burrow would be first over all pick in 2020 draft. 
2020: Folks would have laughed at you if you have said Lance and Wilson were possible 2-5 pick.

Every year, QB move up and get hyped. You will see some guys in 2022 top of the draft who aren’t looked as top picks now.

2 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

2019: Folks would have laughed if you said Joe Burrow would be first over all pick in 2020 draft. 
2020: Folks would have laughed at you if you have said Lance and Wilson were possible 2-5 pick.

Every year, QB move up and get hyped. You will see some guys in 2022 top of the draft who aren’t looked as top picks now.

and 10 years from now odds are people will be laughing at the majority of teams that picked any of these guys. That's the way it goes with Qbs.

1 minute ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

I mean, that may be true, and it may not be. At the start of the 2019 NCAA season, Joe Burrow was an afterthought. Before the 2018 season, nobody thought Daniel Jones would be a top pick. People knew Kyler Murray would be a first round draft pick, they just assumed (correctly) that it would be to play on the diamond.

Next years draft class could look like the 2018 QB draft class, or it could be more like this years draft class. We don't, and can't, know now. What we do know is that even Matt Ryan's detractors would have to admit that he is at least "serviceable," and he is here for at least 2 more years due to his contract.

If we take a QB at 4 this year, so be it. If we don't upgrade the starters around Ryan on the offense, or shore up the defense, we are more likely to be picking high again next year, and the year after that. Taking a QB in the first round this year, in my mind, does nothing to help the team now, and would likely mean that the QB drafted starts year 3 on a lesser team. Alternatively, if we take an impact player like Pitts, Sewell, or Surtain, or trade back and stockpile picks for the next 2 drafts, whatever QB is taken next year or the year after will come into a better team and have a higher chance of success. We would then have a starting QB (that hopefully works out) with at least 4 years on a cheap contract and hopefully a cap with less dead money. The window to win is longer, and the overall team seems more likely to be better.

But what do I know, I am not even great at my actual job, let alone Terry Fontenot's. 

there are so many factors - let's concede for the moment that 2022 QB class will be decent - or 2023 QB class.    Falcons haven't picked in Top 5 since 2008.    NFL teams are getting better at scouting the QB position and the differences between college QB play and NFL QB play is shrinking.....it's getting easier.   For all of the @gazoo in the world that try and tell you that you can "find" a QB later in the draft - those "later QBs" may not be in the top 5 but they are going in the first round now and not dropping out - Mahomes, Watson and Jackson to name three.   Moreover, the NFL is becoming more receptive to the dual threat QBs and, to be blunt "the black QBs" than in past - these are trendlines.   What we do see is that EXCEPTIONAL QBs win SuperBowls.

Now if TF and AS don't believe Justin Fields nor Trey Lance are EXCEPTIONAL prospects capable of being ELITE QBs - if they don't believe that - then by all means don't take either one of them and punt and figure it out later in draft on a developmental guy or punt until 2022 or 2023 and hope you get lucky.

This pick - this #4 pick - is a GIFT for the Falcons that they should redeem if they believe Justin Fields or Trey Lance are future superstars at the position.   If they are, none of you will look back and regret the pick - no matter how good Pitts, Sewell or Surtain may be.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I love it when you base your opinion on the exception - Joe Burrow.    By all means, make all your life choices on exceptions instead of norm.

Just now, thanat0s said:

Could very well be. And everybody keeps sleeping on JT Daniels up in Athens. The kid can absolutely play. A full year of health and experience in the SEC, and he might be 1st overall in 22.

absolutely. people also missing thompson-robinson, slovis, and daniels out of ucla, usc, and asu resectively. those guys can ball.

4 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

and 10 years from now odds are people will be laughing at the majority of teams that picked any of these guys. That's the way it goes with Qbs.

True story. That’s why you shouldn’t risk your franchise’s future on drafting a QB until you absolutely have to. 

35 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Herein lies the problem.  How many of the top 4 will actually amount to anything in the league?  History says 2.  Maybe.