No Quarterback at #4 in 2021? Relax...

Around every corner of this message board, we have "draft a quarterback at #4" advocates as well as opponents. One argument seems to be that because we are drafting so high this year, it is our best chance of finding a quality quarterback in the draft. Quarterbacks are no different than anything else of value in life, depending on supply and demand. Besides being a "very good" quarterback draft, a decent amount of teams are in need this year. 

I hope we can all agree that Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones and Trask will be highly sought after in the draft. For the case of this hypothetical, the Falcons are NOT taking a quarterback. 

Top quarterbacks drafted in this scenerio.. Jags draft Lawrence, Jets draft Wilson, 49ers draft Fields, Broncos draft Lance, WFT draft Mac Jones, Steelers draft Trask late in the 1st.

These additions would solidify these teams and there would be no need to draft a qb early next year. Look at each team and their quarterback situation going into the 2022 draft next year.

AFC East- Bills- Josh Allen, Miami- Tua Tagovailoa, Patriots- Cam Newton, Jets- Zach Wilson

AFC North- Ravens- Lamar Jackson, Bengals- Burrows, Browns- Mayfield, Steelers- Big Ben/Trask

AFC South- Texans- Watson, Colts- Wentz, Jags- Lawrence, Titans- Tannehill

AFC West- Broncos- Lock/Lance, Chiefs- Mahomes, Raiders- Carr, Chargers- Herbert

NFC East- Dallas- Dak Prescott, Giants- Daniel Jones, Eagles- Hurt, WFT- Mac Jones

NFC North- Bears- Andy Dalton, Lions- Goff, Packers- Rodgers/Love, Vikings- Cousins

NFC South- Falcons- Ryan, Panthers- Darnold, Saints- Hill/Winston, Bucs- Brady

NFC West- Arizona- Murray, Rams- Stafford, 49ers- Fields, Seattle- Wilson

This would still leave some decent quarterbacks in limbo. Mitch Trubisky, Nick Foles, Minshew, Kyle Allen, Fitzpatrick

Teams that may look for a quarterback in round 1 in 2022 draft (in this scenerio and only my opinion):

Patriots, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Falcons, and Saints. And some of these would only be maybes. I believe we can get a very good quarterback next year in the middle of the 1st round, based solely on supply and demand, as the demand will be less.

12 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Around every corner of this message board, we have "draft a quarterback at #4" advocates as well as opponents. One argument seems to be that because we are drafting so high this year, it is our best chance of finding a quality quarterback in the draft. Quarterbacks are no different than anything else of value in life, depending on supply and demand. Besides being a "very good" quarterback draft, a decent amount of teams are in need this year. 

I hope we can all agree that Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones and Trask will be highly sought after in the draft. For the case of this hypothetical, the Falcons are NOT taking a quarterback. 

Top quarterbacks drafted in this scenerio.. Jags draft Lawrence, Jets draft Wilson, 49ers draft Fields, Broncos draft Lance, WFT draft Mac Jones, Steelers draft Trask late in the 1st.

These additions would solidify these teams and there would be no need to draft a qb early next year. Look at each team and their quarterback situation going into the 2022 draft next year.

AFC East- Bills- Josh Allen, Miami- Tua Tagovailoa, Patriots- Cam Newton, Jets- Zach Wilson

AFC North- Ravens- Lamar Jackson, Bengals- Burrows, Browns- Mayfield, Steelers- Big Ben/Trask

AFC West- Broncos- Lock/Lance, Chiefs- Mahomes, Raiders- Carr, Chargers- Herbert

NFC East- Dallas- Dak Prescott, Giants- Daniel Jones, Eagles- Hurt, WFT- Mac Jones

NFC North- Bears- Andy Dalton, Lions- Goff, Packers- Rodgers/Love, Vikings- Cousins

This would still leave some decent quarterbacks in limbo. Mitch Trubisky, Nick Foles, Minshew, Kyle Allen, Fitzpatrick

Teams that may look for a quarterback in round 1 in 2022 draft (in this scenerio and only my opinion):

Patriots, Bears, Lions, Vikings, Falcons, and Saints. And some of these would only be maybes. I believe we can get a very good quarterback next year in the middle of the 1st round, based solely on supply and demand, as the demand will be less.

Quite possible.

Exactly. There is absolutely no sense of urgency for us to draft a QB like every other team drafting ahead of us and whoever we would trade with, assuming we made a trade. They have a dire need. 

We are perfectly fine at QB and can win the SB with 2 behind center, as long as he has a better supporting cast and coaching than we've had the last few years. And that's at least a 3 year window, probably more.

49 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Who will be the possible top 5 or 10 QBs next year, in your opinion?

4 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

Sam Howell, Bo Nix, Slovis, Spencer Rattler, Brock Purdy... see how Emory Jones does at FL, maybe Tanner Morgan , Layne Hatcher, and Sean Clifford. A lot can change in a season

I think there will still be a huge demand for QBs. I mean who thought the Rams and Detroit would move on from what they had or Philly would give up Wentz.

Watson could be a has been if he either holds out, gets hurt or goes to jail.

Anyone of the QBs could get hurt or someone could call it quits a la Andrew Luck.

Miami could decide Tua isn't what they thought after all. Same in Philly.

The Jets are always on board for a QB when they pick in the top two.

Plus all the losers from 2021 who discover their rookie was a bust or they totally missed out.

QBs will always be in demand. An extra 2022 first and 2nd could help us get one of the better ones though if we're inclined to move back a some this year, and we're ready to finally pull the trigger.

1 hour ago, celtiksage said:

I think there will still be a huge demand for QBs. I mean who thought the Rams and Detroit would move on from what they had or Philly would give up Wentz.

Watson could be a has been if he either holds out, gets hurt or goes to jail.

Anyone of the QBs could get hurt or someone could call it quits a la Andrew Luck.

Miami could decide Tua isn't what they thought after all. Same in Philly.

The Jets are always on board for a QB when they pick in the top two.

Plus all the losers from 2021 who discover their rookie was a bust or they totally missed out.

QBs will always be in demand. An extra 2022 first and 2nd could help us get one of the better ones though if we're inclined to move back a some this year, and we're ready to finally pull the trigger.

Valid points.. only thing I disagree with is I would think it too early for any team that drafts a qb in the 1st round of the 2021 draft to give up on them by the 2022 draft. Even Haskins lasted 2 years 😂

3 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

There won’t be any QB in 2022. None of them worth a pick till 4th round. 

11 minutes ago, Mister pudding said:

Valid points.. only thing I disagree with is I would think it too early for any team that drafts a qb in the 1st round of the 2021 draft to give up on them by the 2022 draft. Even Haskins lasted 2 years 😂

It was a slight exaggeration. Can I put the /p for just one line or does it encompasses the whole thread when I do it?

3 hours ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

I would like to know that, myself!  Maybe someone will have more time than me to investigate that for us --- thanks for bringing that up...

3 minutes ago, DUB said:

Waiting on Peyton’s nephew.....

So, just who is Peyton's nephew and who does he play for?  Sorry, I don't get to watch a whole lot of college football --- or is he even that old???

Edited by FalconJim

If Ryan plays well it will be 2 yrs before the rook plays. Then the Falcons may choose to keep Ryan and the rook plays where? If he doesn't play well 2 yrs of sitting on bench. Their not going to get rid of him with all the dead cap money. Take BPA Pitts. Could be another Aaron Donald move passing on a potential HOF for a lesser talent.

4 hours ago, Mister pudding said:

Green Bay Packers, 13 NFL Championships, the most of any team in the league, drafts a quarterback to compete against a quarterback who WON a Superbowl for them, yet SOME Falcon fans don't wanna better the position when the position can CLEARLY be upgraded... I roll with what the Packers say...

Seeing the 2021 QB Draft Class, Did the Green Bay Packers Make the Right  Decision With Jordan Love? - EssentiallySports

1 hour ago, Spts1 said:

Green Bay Packers, 13 NFL Championships, the most of any team in the league, drafts a quarterback to compete against a quarterback who WON a Superbowl for them, yet SOME Falcon fans don't wanna better the position when the position can CLEARLY be upgraded... I roll with what the Packers say...

Seeing the 2021 QB Draft Class, Did the Green Bay Packers Make the Right  Decision With Jordan Love? - EssentiallySports

It may have prevented them form winning the last Superbowl!

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

And they pissed that dude off on the left greatly. The dude that has been their cornerstone for over a decade. They should have 14-15 championships by now with Rodgers, but they've made so many dumb decisions thinking they can play hero ball with him that it's cost them one or two more and now one of the greatest QBs of all time only has 1 super bowl to show for it.

2 hours ago, Spts1 said:

Really??

Just now, Spts1 said:

The Packers will not have a drop-off after Rodgers. The Falcons should do the same...

1. You don’t know that.

2. The Packers went to the NFCCG in 2019, lost, drafted Love, and went to the NFCCG again in 2020, and lost again. Your argument doesn't actually prove that drafting Love was the right decision. 

52 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

And they pissed that dude off on the left greatly. The dude that has been their cornerstone for over a decade. They should have 14-15 championships by now with Rodgers, but they've made so many dumb decisions thinking they can play hero ball with him that it's cost them one or two more and now one of the greatest QBs of all time only has 1 super bowl to show for it.

They scared Rodgers into a mvp caliber year by giving him competition. Ryan never gets pushed like that. Rodgers has a ring. He will not join Dan Marino...