Drafting Trey Lance is a win-win for the Falcons

I would agree that it’s a win-win scenario for us if we can get Lance while trading back. QB is also a viable option at 6, especially if we can get more picks out of the Cowboys. However there is a an inherent risk by taking a QB that high.  I do also feel like adding a Chase/Pitts could elevate this offense, the question becomes, by how much, and if it’s worth the risking missing on drafting that high ranked of a QB for the foreseeable for the next 2-3 years. 

What are we too do about our defense.

All I’m hearing as a fix is we are waiting for Dean Pees to sprinkle his fairy dust.

We’ve already tried to build and win with an offense.

If we are to change thee identity of this team it has to be defense and run game.

Going for the Chase Pitts combo I’m struggling to see how this will help us long term.

I think TF is going to rinse wash repeat what he had a part in in NO defense and a run game and hello playoffs behind a vet QB who still has plenty left.

I mean he’s not going step for step but it just makes a lot of sense to do so because we are in a similar position it’s eerily scary to the NO situation cap talent the lot.

What was missing and what put the Aints back on the map it wasn’t a flash new toy at WRer or TE.It was meat and potatoes LOS either side and run game.

Falcons take the hint.

Drafting Lance makes NO SENSE! Matt Ryan is here for 2 years...nothing you can do about it.  Lance has played 1 game in the last year... So if we draft Lance, he will go about 3 years without playing, other than pre-season and maybe a handful of plays here and there throughout the year...So we finally let Ryan walk after the 22 season and turn the reigns over to Lance...so you basically have 1 year of him being the starter before you have to decide whether or not to pick up his 5th year option..... doesnt make sense to take such a gamble.

6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

All I’m hearing as a fix is we are waiting for Dean Pees to sprinkle his fairy dust.

If we are to change thee identity of this team it has to be defense and run game.

Going for the Chase Pitts combo I’m struggling to see how this will help us long term.

But if we can't trade down or don't like the offers given..then what? Its no defensive talent available that's worth the 4th this year..and no not even Patrick Surtain jr..so what do u do? U have to take the bpa..whether that's whatever qb is left if they like them or Pitts chase or Sewell.you have the rest of the draft to fill defense needs and if your creative with your moving around the draft u can get a bunch done..this d fix is going to be a multi year proposition anyway..it was never getting fix this year..you do what u can with the best you have 

11 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I would agree with you but if we stick in the 4-6 range there are no defensive players worth taking that high. None of them would be considered BPA at that point either. 

2 minutes ago, RoddyWhite84 said:

But if we can't trade down or don't like the offers given..then what? Its no defensive talent available that's worth the 4th this year..and no not even Patrick Surtain jr..so what do u do? U have to take the bpa..whether that's whatever qb is left if they like them or Pitts chase or Sewell.you have the rest of the draft to fill defense needs and if your creative with your moving around the draft u can get a bunch done..this d fix is going to be a multi year proposition anyway..it was never getting fix this year..you do what u can with the best you have 

See before I go into this draft me personally I’m doing whatever it takes to fix 3 things to the best of my ability nothing else.

Pass Coverage Run Game Pass Rush 

I rate the talent and build the team around those 3 things to improve it.

All the rest to me is just noise.

You don’t fix the mentioned or add talent in those 3 areas we’ll be middle of the pack at best if that’s good enough for you ok fair enough not me. 

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I would agree with you but if we stick in the 4-6 range there are no defensive players worth taking that high. None of them would be considered BPA at that point either. 

According to who ?

You see this is the biggest assumption because you don’t know how TF has his talent board setup.

Trey has a lot of tools.  But, he is RAW.  Very little competition, weak conference with a dominant team.  He could be a great one, but he has a steep hill to climb.  There are four QBs more ready for the pros.  He is risky to me.  If we were more rounded, and were merely reloading, I'd have no issue drafting him to develop.  

22 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Honestly, I have never been so confused with a Falcons draft.  I have no idea where we are headed.  And that to me is a truly great thing.  Anything, and everything is very much on the table.

And that’s exactly how a FO wants it HD.

For me as a fan I just have a good look of what this team is devoid of and go about my off season thinking in that vein.

As you mention if you don’t confusion reigns.

All the noise around who what how and where also does it but that’s part of the game.As mentioned as a fan I narrow my gaze.

11 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

According to who ?

You see this is the biggest assumption because you don’t know how TF has his talent board setup.

According to a lot of draft experts/pundits. Granted we don’t know how TF is setting up his board but given the information we’ve seen there is definitely a talent discrepancy between the players mentioned at the 4-6 range and the top rated defensive players. Not saying they won’t be great players but I doubt they are considered BPA at that point. 

9 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

Trey had a lot of tools.  But, he is RAW.  Very little competition, weak conference with a dominant team.  He could be a great one, but he has a steep hill to climb.  There are four QBs more ready for the pros.  He is risky to me.  If we were more rounded, and we're merely reloading, I'd have no issue drafting him to develop.  

If we draft him we are drafting based off potential upside alone. He’s definitely not the most polished QB coming out, but I do think he’s the most physically talented. Sitting him for 2 years and letting him learn under Ryan and he would still be 22 years old when he finally gets his start. It’s not bad all things considered. Is it the best option? Who knows. It’s a viable option. I’ll trust Fontenot/Smith on their assessments until they give me a reason not to. 

14 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

If we draft him we are drafting based off potential upside alone. He’s definitely not the most polished QB coming out, but I do think he’s the most physically talented. Sitting him for 2 years and letting him learn under Ryan and he would still be 22 years old when he finally gets his start. It’s not bad all things considered. Is it the best option? Who knows. It’s a viable option. I’ll trust Fontenot/Smith on their assessments until they give me a reason not to. 

It's an option for sure.  Thankfully, and mercifully for the city of Atlanta, I don't make the picks!!

It's football.  Everything is a gamble.  Look at Dallas and Dak.  Gamble.  Who we draft or acquire is a total risk, no matter who.  

The what if scenarios work both ways.  I am feeling pretty confident in TF and AS, I know they want to pull up the team.  Whether that means O or D as a priority, they've got it.  All I can do is believe.

43 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

PLEASE. Watch his film. Lance looks like a high School QB on Film. Forget the highlights, watch his snaps in games.

Just one example:

I know folks will want to lambast you for this post, but you are right. Raw is an understatement. He looks like a kid that has had one year of starting experience at a small college. In a normal year, he’d be a second rounder.

50 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

PLEASE. Watch his film. Lance looks like a high School QB on Film. Forget the highlights, watch his snaps in games.

Just one example:

He has a ton of talent, but man his footwork is all over the place. If they can teach him to set a consistent base he has a chance to be a good one. 

3 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

I know folks will want to lambast you for this post, but you are right. Raw is an understatement. He looks like a kid that has had one year of starting experience at a small college. In a normal year, he’d be a second rounder.

He also hasn't played for a year. It'll be curious where he ends up. He honestly looks like a sketchy pick anywhere above the bottom of the first round. A real yolo pick.