Falcons to Attend Fields 2nd Pro Day(Don't Kill the Messenger)

Report: Falcons will attend Justin Fields’ second Pro Day workout

Posted by Josh Alper on April 13, 2021, 4:10 PM EDT
Getty Images

The Falcons have done their best this offseason to portray an open mind about taking a quarterback with the fourth overall pick in the draft and they’ll reportedly be checking out the workout of a potential choice with that pick on Wednesday.

Former Ohio State quarterback Justin Fields will be holding his second Pro Day workout of the offseason and Albert Breer of SI.com reports that the Falcons will be represented at the workout. It’s not known who will be there from the team, but Breer reports that they’ll have the maximum allotment of three people on hand to watch Fields.

The 49ers and Patriots are also set to be on hand for Fields’ workout. The 49ers did not go to his earlier Pro Day because they were watching Mac Jones‘ workout at Alabama.

Fields’ Pro Day will be followed by Trey Lance‘s second Pro Day next Monday and that’s all that’s on the schedule for the draft’s quarterbacks before the first round kicks off on April 29.

4 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I wouldn't exactly say due diligence because I think Falcons are really considering the possibility of drafting a QB at 4.

Whether they actually do or not is another thing.

They'd be fools not to consider it.  You go to all the pro days and stuff to figure out who the best player at 4 is.  You don't decide randomly "well, we don't want him if he's a QB."

It is due diligence in that sense, though.  They are getting all the information they need to make the best decision with the 4th pick.  I don't think it will be a QB, but they surely aren't taking it off the table.

How many of us peruse our favorite store even though we know everything in inventory just in case we happen to see something we can’t live without? This is basically that they have seen the tape , the first pro day they just need to keep going back just in case they see something that says you have to have fields

It would look BAD, very BAD, for the Falcons to not at least attend Justin Fields work out.  It looked bad that they didn't attend the first one.  The reason is, the guy is from Atlanta.  How can the Falcons sell to the rest of the league that they make take a quarterback, and then don't at least show up for the local guy?  Going to that pro day helps the value of that 4th pick whether they attempt to draft him or not...

8 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

It would look BAD, very BAD, for the Falcons to not at least attend Justin Fields work out.  It looked bad that they didn't attend the first one.  The reason is, the guy is from Atlanta.  How can the Falcons sell to the rest of the league that they make take a quarterback, and then don't at least show up for the local guy?  Going to that pro day helps the value of that 4th pick whether they attempt to draft him or not...

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/report-falcons-will-attend-justin-fields-second-pro-day

31 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I would too

46 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I wouldn't exactly say due diligence because I think Falcons are really considering the possibility of drafting a QB at 4.

Whether they actually do or not is another thing.

40 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

They'd be fools not to consider it.  You go to all the pro days and stuff to figure out who the best player at 4 is.  You don't decide randomly "well, we don't want him if he's a QB."

It is due diligence in that sense, though.  They are getting all the information they need to make the best decision with the 4th pick.  I don't think it will be a QB, but they surely aren't taking it off the table.

Yep. You never know how the draft will unfold. It also helps to compare these top guys to the second tier QB. 

33 minutes ago, Sipifalcon said:

Theyre Definitely not doing it as a smokescreen for sure

Just like they didn’t for other top QB.

18 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

TF, Art, and Ragone were at the first one.

1 hour ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Due Diligence 

Idk man....I don’t think they’ll stay at four but this definitely ain’t a smoke screen. I wish more than anything TF would take a QB at 4 but just can’t believe it will happen. He has to be tempted but we really don’t know what the heck he’s thinking 

42 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

But maybe they want him that bad....not show their hand 

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

TF pretty much said you are scouting for multiple reasons.  One, for yourself, two for the player on laying on another team and finally, you do your research because you don't know the future.  One mans bust is another man's treasure.

I paraphrased, a little...  🤣

52 minutes ago, Spts1 said:

8 minutes ago, Atl Falcon said:

But maybe they want him that bad....not show their hand 

Exactly what I was going to say referring to the bold above.