If the Falcons want a QB in round 1 they should trade back.

If the Falcons want to draft a QB in round 1 this year I think that they have to trade back. The reason why is because they will need the extra picks to make up for the fact that they will have a first round pick on the bench for at least 2-3 years. But if they really want to grab someone like Justin Fields, Mac Jones or Trey Lance at 9-15ish they could still build a solid team around Matt Ryan for his last 2-3 years with the team and for the future with all the extra picks they get by trading back.

I think it's unlikely to happen because the first 3 picks will be quarterbacks that the Falcons could be interested in. But if the Falcons do want a first round QB they shouldn't do it at 4 because they have too many holes. But if they trade back they would get extra picks to fill those holes the next 2 years. 

My prediction is the Falcons are most likely to draft Sewell at 4. I think Pitts at 4 is a strong possibly as well. If they trade back they probably go defense. But I think SF jumping to 3 reduces the chances of the Falcons getting the QB they would want. 

Just now, 1989Fan said:

Why not on Sewell? If we go BPA it could be any of those guys. If we look at need, none of those positions are a need. Man, I have no idea and am friggin pumped for the draft!

Sewell has shown flashes but is still raw, inexperienced at 19. Drop between Sewell and next OT isnt much. Sure, Sewell has higher ceiling. If going BPA it’s Pitts. I don’t remember a TE coming out of college like Pitts. Sewell is an athletic freak and probably will be what Greg Robinson couldn’t be in NFL.  Pitts has all the checks plus great production in college and a complete product.

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Sewell has shown flashes but is still raw, inexperienced at 19. Drop between Sewell and next OT isnt much. Sure, Sewell has higher ceiling. If going BPA it’s Pitts. I don’t remember a TE coming out of college like Pitts. Sewell is an athletic freak and probably will be what Greg Robinson couldn’t be in NFL.  Pitts has all the checks plus great production in college and a complete product.

‘Preciate the follow up :tiphat:

I wish these raw players like Parsons, Sewell and Rosseau would have played to further develop their games. Can’t blame them for making a business/health decision though.

1 minute ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Technically we probably need a solid offensive lineman more than TE or WR but Pitts or Chase is much more exciting and I hope they go for Pitts or Chase. Hopefully Arthur Smith can coach the offensive line up.

Sure if we go by needs, but you need to shuffle the line to accommodate Sewell. where would you play him?

Just now, falcons007 said:

Np. We are all making observations with limited information. I like Sewell and if AS or TF want him. I wouldn't mind the pick. To me Pitts just looks like once in a generation TE coming out of college.

Speaking of production, the stat on Sewell giving up no sacks on 491 pass block attempts is pretty awesome.

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Pitts is probably the safer pick. If Arthur Smith feels like our offensive line is good enough he will probably go for Pitts. However the fact that the saints defense sacked Matt Ryan probably 20+ times the last 2 seasons makes me think we could go offensive line.

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Pitts is probably the safer pick. If Arthur Smith feels like our offensive line is good enough he will probably go for Pitts. However the fact that the saints defense sacked Matt Ryan probably 20+ times the last 2 seasons makes me think we could go offensive line.

How much of is it with long developing plays under DK. AS offense is quick short passes like KS ran here. Tannehill Attempted a lot less 20 yard plus passes compared to Ryan. I expect Ryan to come back to much shorter quick passes. AS had a Third string LT play almost half the season and Ty for most of the remaining season. 

4 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Sure if we go by needs, but you need to shuffle the line to accommodate Sewell. where would you play him?

Sewell would start anywhere on the line and be good. Stack talent. But I would put him at guard first. And after he makes two pro bowls at guard and we cut or let Jake walk slide him to LT and he would dominate that position too lol

Just now, youngbloodz said:

Sewell would start anywhere on the line and be good. Stack talent. But I would put him at guard first. And after he makes two pro bowls at guard and we cut or let Jake walk slide him to LT and he would dominate that position too lol

Fair enough. I thought about him playing guard. Glad I don’t have to make the decisions at #4.

6 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Speaking of production, the stat on Sewell giving up no sacks on 491 pass block attempts is pretty awesome.

Sewell just dominates. That’s him. He was 17 playing against 21-22 year olds and held his own. He won the Outland at 19 years old. If Cincy is smart they would draft him at 5 because I’m sure he will be available. But they might go with Chase since they have no WRs

18 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Sewell just dominates. That’s him. He was 17 playing against 21-22 year olds and held his own. He won the Outland at 19 years old. If Cincy is smart they would draft him at 5 because I’m sure he will be available. But they might go with Chase since they have no WRs

CIN would be foolish to pass on a tackle like Sewell for a WR...mainly because I think there will be plenty of WR talent in round 2 for them. If they didn’t load up on the OL I would be pissed if I were Burrow.

That said, Chase is a bad dude as well.

5 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

CIN would be foolish to pass on a tackle like Sewell for a WR...mainly because I think there will be plenty of WR talent in round 2 for them. If they didn’t load up in the OL I would be pissed if I were Burrow.

That said, Chase is a bad dude as well.

I would be too. That line got destroyed on the play Joe was hurt. With Cincy they love the exciting players. That’s what will get their fan base excited. That’s why I believe they go Chase. But if I was the gm I would pound the table for Sewell