The Pigs outta the bag

NWFALCON

Man, I have role switched so much that I don’t even know who I really am anymore.  Like is this really me?  I try my best to not be super imposing... but I’m a 230lb black guy with a beard... I’m terrified I’m going to get that cop having a bad day and I won’t see my family again because I have to sneeze or die to adrenaline reach the wrong way without thinking and am killed

honestly it is so ******** infuriating to sit here and listen to the constant garbage being offered up as excuses at this point and time. the number of people that have been victimized by police over the decades is countless, and it's only thanks to the democratization of modern technology that there is some spotlight being shown on this stuff. 

any cop that pretends there aren't severe and broad issues with policing that deeply infects every single law enforcement agency in this country from top to bottom is nothing more than a propaganda artist for his own gang of criminals. stop downplaying these events. stop passing the buck to "training" or "unions" or "it's hard to find good police now because everyone hates us :sadface:" you ******** have earned this reputation for nothing more than your own actions. if you can't accept that first then there's nothing more to say than this

this is what happens when a "Good Cop" intervenes...

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/nyregion/cariol-horne-police-chokehold.html?fbclid=IwAR1wGb85l9_XoLsksE7-1so8v6ubU2Aw0g5s-ixZN9VY9DqLI9J3h5jawgg

"It was a cold November day in Buffalo when Officer Cariol Horne responded to a call for a colleague in need of help. What she encountered was a white officer who appeared to be “in a rage” punching a handcuffed Black man in the face repeatedly as other officers stood by.

Officer Horne, who is Black, heard the handcuffed man say he could not breathe and saw the white officer put him in a chokehold. At that point, court documents show, she forcibly removed the white officer and began to trade blows with him.

In the altercation’s aftermath, Officer Horne was reassigned, hit with departmental charges and, eventually, fired just one year short of the 20 on the force she needed to collect her full pension. She tried, and failed, more than once to have the decision reversed as unfair."

So rare.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/04/15/loveland-police-karen-garner-excessive-force-lawsuit/

"The arrest of a 73-year-old Loveland woman who lives with dementia has raised concerns among many in the Northern Colorado region after body camera video of the arrest went viral online. Attorneys representing Karen Garner, who suffers from dementia and sensory aphasia, say the fragile woman experienced a broken arm, dislocated shoulder and sprained wrist following an altercation with Loveland Police Officer Austin Hopp in June 2020."

1 hour ago, JayOzOne said:

I've been avoiding this thread but it seems like the best place to drop this:

If stuff like this happens, Call 911 and make a complaint. Calling 911 does to things.  1. The complaint will be Entered in as a 911 call (paper trail ask for the incident number and keep it) and 2. Be dispatched to a supervisor 

The supervisor will be tasked with contacting you and following up with your complaint. If it still doesn’t get solved, keep going up the chain. As I’ve mentioned in the past here, the discipline will be handed out in accordance with the contract and past discipline. 

To me traffic stops are stupid unless theres blatant disregard for public safety. I think I write maybe 25 tickets a year if that. But many Chiefs and police leadership show that traffic stops aid in reducing traffic accidents and crime as a whole so there’s a push for them. They can’t force anyone to do traffic stops as quotas are illegal so I don’t do them. 

I will never understand for the life of me why people get all wound up while they’re being recorded. You’re a public servant and that’ll happen. Most of the meltdowns that I’ve seen on video are when the cop doesn’t know law and the person filming calls them out on it or cops just take the **** personal. I’ve been recorded a lot but I’ve never made social media. Do the right thing and don’t be in your feelings, and nothing will happen. 

19 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

The supervisor will be tasked with contacting you and following up with your complaint. If it still doesn’t get solved, keep going up the chain.

yeah...when the abusers investigate themselves and nothing is resolved, keep appealing to the abusers....(ask yourself why there needs to be a 2nd step.....)

ever looked at the definition of insanity?

22 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

As I’ve mentioned in the past here, the discipline will be handed out in accordance with the contract and past discipline. 

more bullshyte. Again, Chauvin was the subject of at least 22 complaints or internal investigations during his more than 19 years at the department, only one of which resulted in discipline - most included use of excessive force and violating civil rights.

They are only disciplined when higher heads than theirs are threatened. Only then do you see the abusive b@$tards removed and then they are rarely prosecuted.

30 minutes ago, NWFALCON said:

I will never understand for the life of me why people get all wound up while they’re being recorded.

Because lying liars that lie never want to be documented in the act of abusing other humans or animals.

So, honest question: How much training do police officers in your department get on what they can and can't do regarding vehicle stops and searches?

I ask this only because I still see things in the news today that would not pass the Arizona v. Gant standard. It always infuriates me that people are arrested for searches of a car when the justification for the stop was something that would have no evidence possibly contained in the car. Sure, they can try to justify a search by "I smell something," but that doesn't work when you are looking for a gun or stolen property. I often see officer safety raised in these news stories justifying the search, yet in most instances that I have seen (admittedly it could be selection bias)the driver or passenger is already handcuffed on the sidewalk when the search is conducted. 

When I was working for the public defender in a large California city, certain cops would purposefully not handcuff subjects when searching their car (post-Gant) so the officer safety thing could still be technically viable. It was clear that they were briefed on the change in law, and took steps to conform their prior behavior with the current standard. That charade ended when an officer got messed up by an unrestrained suspect.  Now, it seems like it is just ignored and business as usual.

Just curious about the education of officers on what they can and can't do, and whether it takes the form of "here is a new legal standard" vs. "here is what you need to do differently to save your search."

17 hours ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

So, honest question: How much training do police officers in your department get on what they can and can't do regarding vehicle stops and searches?

I ask this only because I still see things in the news today that would not pass the Arizona v. Gant standard. It always infuriates me that people are arrested for searches of a car when the justification for the stop was something that would have no evidence possibly contained in the car. Sure, they can try to justify a search by "I smell something," but that doesn't work when you are looking for a gun or stolen property. I often see officer safety raised in these news stories justifying the search, yet in most instances that I have seen (admittedly it could be selection bias)the driver or passenger is already handcuffed on the sidewalk when the search is conducted. 

When I was working for the public defender in a large California city, certain cops would purposefully not handcuff subjects when searching their car (post-Gant) so the officer safety thing could still be technically viable. It was clear that they were briefed on the change in law, and took steps to conform their prior behavior with the current standard. That charade ended when an officer got messed up by an unrestrained suspect.  Now, it seems like it is just ignored and business as usual.

Just curious about the education of officers on what they can and can't do, and whether it takes the form of "here is a new legal standard" vs. "here is what you need to do differently to save your search."

Outside of the academy (maybe 3 weeks on search a seizure) we get an annual 8 hour training day when the legal staff comes down and gives a day of updated case laws and recent decisions. 

Case law stuff is basically self study. So if you have a lazy cop, you’re probably going to get a guy that violates that crap out of civil rights and does illegal searches. A guy in a neighboring agency got fired for that. 

I’ll go specifically into vehicle searches now. So Washington is really protective over their citizens rights. I think a lot of States still have the right to search a vehicle incident to arrest. Here, we can only search what is on the arrestee ie backpack and clothing if they’re under arrest. Funny thing is a tweeker just got off of a drug charge with the “these aren’t my pants” excuse. 

So incident to arrest could be a reason why a person is handcuffed and the vehicle is searched without a warrant. Another one, especially in California, is if the person is on probation. Felons on probation in California lose lot of rights. I haven’t worked there but what it seems like is if they’re on supervision or DOC, cops can search whatever and whenever they want. Washington passed a similar law but the person must be visibly in violation of their probation terms for the search to be conducted. Not many cops here know that law because many haven’t looked it up. The ones that know it like me and some coworkers, don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze. I’m a salmon fisherman but I don’t go fishing at work. 

If a vehicle is going to be impounded an inventory could be conducted. Some cops do these as fishing expedition so if something is found I’d pull the history on the cop’s impound history and see if an inventory is routinely conducted or only in certain circumstances. 

On to Arizona v Gant. The legal basis for that search is when someone is removed from their car and they’re going to be released from detention/arrest and allowed to return to the car. The search is supposed to be restricted to the immediate lunge area which typically is within arms reach.  That is basically the door, under the seat, and next to the arm rest. Anything outside of that is illegal. 

That’s just scratching the surface but those are basically the main reasons out of consent and warrant to search.  I can give more detail if you need them. 

edit. I’ll add that in videos that I’ve seen, Officers without a good foundation of knowledge will melt down and have hissy fits when a citizen knows more than them. In some videos the citizens are really articulate but are totally off on the actual law but the cops is shook cause they don’t know any better. In some of them, the citizens are spot on and are 100% correct. 

Edited by NWFALCON

9 hours ago, Mr. Hoopah! said:

They also broke her hip. What kind of sick **** slams a 73 year old 80 pound woman to the ground? Two of his fellow kids showed up to help him keep her in control and they clearly thought he had the right to protect himself by using this level of force because neither of them arrested him.

Why are there so many one bad apples in law enforcement?