Terry Fontenot: We’re excited about Matt Ryan, but have to evaluate incoming QBs

I don’t post hearsay and stuff pulled from anonymous sources a55. Here is TF himself. 

One thing which stood out from the interview  is pretty telling.

“That’s critical because that’s a position that regardless of where you are at your starter — we’re so excited about Matt Ryan, but we have to evaluate every one of these quarterbacks,” Fontenot said. “Not just for now, when you think big picture, if you have an opportunity — for example Trevor Lawrence, when you have an opportunity to see that player in person throw, then you have to take advantage of that. Even if you’re not going to have the opportunity at him this year, you don’t know what’s going to happen three, four, five years from now in the future. So you want to take advantage of that in-person exposure.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/13/terry-fontenot-were-excited-about-matt-ryan-but-have-to-evaluate-incoming-qbs/

I agree with TF, who knows when they prart ways with Ryan in 3-5 years, one of these QB may be available for trade. We Saw Darnold on the market in 3 years.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy...I love Fontenot and that's truth. I dont care who he picks to be honest, dude is playing chess like a beast!

I don’t post hearsay and stuff pulled from anonymous sources a55. Here is TF himself.    One thing which stood out from the interview  is pretty telling. “That’s critical because that’s a

Something tells me a trade will happen, but literally not until after the 49ers make their pick. 

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Something tells me a trade will happen, but literally not until after the 49ers make their pick. 

I bet they have multiple options and trade offers depending on who is at #4. I bet they have the pick at #4 ready with out a trade down. 

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I bet they have multiple options and trade offers depending on who is at #4. I bet they have the pick at #4 ready with out a trade down. 

The pick at #4 if a trade falls through is very likely Pitts. However, I'm sure a deal is in place with somebody who wants Fields but just wants to make sure he's actually available. Same for Lance. 

Yeah, this makes sense, and OP's point about Darnold is exactly right.

If you saw Darnold, interviewed him, saw his pro day and loved him...and then thought he was hugely miscast in the NYJ offense, then you'd think he's a good reclamation project.  If all you'd seen was college film that was overwhelmed by pro film, you wouldn't.

We're going to need a QB in the next 5 years.  They know that.  So they may as well see what a top one looks like.  They may see similar traits in a 3rd rounder this year, or they may see that a mid 1st rounder next year (or the year after) is as good with regards to their system as the top guys this year.

A QB bust is the biggest drag on a franchise.  You need to gather as much info as you possibly can to limit that.

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The pick at #4 if a trade falls through is very likely Pitts. However, I'm sure a deal is in place with somebody who wants Fields but just wants to make sure he's actually available. Same for Lance. 

Yep. Interesting insight about looking a QB 3,4 or 5 years from now. If Falcons are drafting a QB at #4, I doubt you looking at replacement in 3-5 years.

Just now, falcons007 said:

Yep. Interesting insight about looking a QB 3,4 or 5 years from now. If Falcons are drafting a QB at #4, I doubt you looking at replacement in 3-5 years.

I've said all along that if Font and Smith really want Fields....then get him. I just would be annoyed with not investing in Fields now and making him sit on the bench. 

1 minute ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I've said all along that if Font and Smith really want Fields....then get him. I just would be annoyed with not investing in Fields now and making him sit on the bench. 

Yep. Restructuring Ryan would be a big mistake if that was the plan. If they thought fields was their guy. I would have traded Ryan to Niners for picks, take a hit in 2021. Grab all the picks and young QB. 

15 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Yep. Restructuring Ryan would be a big mistake if that was the plan. If they thought fields was their guy. I would have traded Ryan to Niners for picks, take a hit in 2021. Grab all the picks and young QB. 

Falcons were in Cap Hades.  The only place to get it was from the biggest contracts once you got rid of the easy ones like Rico and Carp and not re-signing Gurley nor Neal.

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Falcons were in Cap Hades.  The only place to get it was from the biggest contracts once you got rid of the easy ones like Rico and Carp and not re-signing Gurley nor Neal.

That was the problem with the way the Falcons' contracts were constructed. Even after making the obvious cuts  (Carp, Rico, Baily) they were still way in the hole. I dont think they had much of a choice but to restructure Ryan even if they didn't want to. And even after all of the moves they made they still need to make additional moves to sign the rookie class. 

Just now, FentayeJones said:

That was the problem with the way the Falcons' contracts were constructed. Even after making the obvious cuts  (Carp, Rico, Baily) there were still way in the hole. I dont think they had much of a choice but to restructure Ryan even if they didn't want to. And even after all of the moves they made they still need to make additional moves to sign the rookie class. 

exactly.  That's why it shouldn't just be assumed that Falcons won't draft a QB at #4.   While I would agree that it makes it less likely, there is likely an OUT for 2022 season if Fontenot wants it - probably "Post June 1st" cut or trade with a cap that increased.

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

They used 8.5 M from Ryan’s restructure. They could have easily gotten that from Grady and Debo. Extend Grady, and you are looking at much more. They could have touched Julio’s contract too. Falcons with out touching Ryan’s contract could have freed up 20 M.

4 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

That was the problem with the way the Falcons' contracts were constructed. Even after making the obvious cuts  (Carp, Rico, Baily) they were still way in the hole. I dont think they had much of a choice but to restructure Ryan even if they didn't want to. And even after all of the moves they made they still need to make additional moves to sign the rookie class. 

They had a choice, I don’t buy the no choice crap. Falcons could free up more than needed with out restructuring Ryan. 

I'm not in favor of drafting a QB even though I like all of these QBs to an extent. But if you don't evaluate them either for your decision making process or for the future then you are doing yourself a disservice. If you decide that one of these guys is a bona-fide stud then take him and let it sort itself out later. But I'd rather build this team up around the more than competent guy we already have. I'm not the GM though.