Mark Schlereth on JETS draft (Falcons related)

He's spot on.

It doesn't really make the case that the Jets shouldn't draft a QB, though. He's really just pointing out that teams always overvalue QBs and refuse to develop them. That guy is expected to be great regardless. It's insanity. 

Maybe it was before the Darnold trade?

1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

He's spot on.

It doesn't really make the case that the Jets shouldn't draft a QB, though. He's really just pointing out that teams always overvalue QBs and refuse to develop them. That guy is expected to be great regardless. It's insanity. 

Maybe it was before the Darnold trade?

Nah, this is fresh I believe.

I agree with you that he doesn't make the case about Jets drafting a QB but I guess the new regime wanna make a fresh start and get their guy at 2. Also, I don't think the Jets refused to develop QBs, I just think they stink and have been stinking for a while now.

4 minutes ago, wilco said:

Nah, this is fresh I believe.

I agree with you that he doesn't make the case about Jets drafting a QB but I guess the new regime wanna make a fresh start and get their guy at 2. Also, I don't think the Jets refused to develop QBs, I just think they stink and have been stinking for a while now.

True. The Jets should be ashamed for not winning with all the resource advantages they have over a lot of other teams. But they pretty much have to take a QB now. Do they even have one on the roster? 

3 minutes ago, Snozberies17 said:

Biggest take away for me was from 2009-2016 — 22 first round QB's were drafted and not one of them is on the same team.

It’s worse for top 5 picks. None of the top 5 picks from 2009-2017 are on the same team. Yet the argument of let a guy sit for two years coz he is face of franchise for 10-15 years. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

True. The Jets should be ashamed for not winning with all the resource advantages they have over a lot of other teams. But they pretty much have to take a QB now. Do they even have one on the roster? 

Last time I've checked, they had Geno Smith and Joe Flacco :D
There was an interesting chart on Pat McAfee show yesterday about Jets QBs of the past couple of decades ( I think) and only ole Vinny Testaverde did good! Mark Sanchez obviously had a positive W/L record but those Jets teams were heavy on the defensive side, Mark was mainly there for a ride.  

The Jets list of QBs

Edited by wilco
7 minutes ago, wilco said:

There was an interesting chart on Pat McAfee show yesterday about Jets QBs of the past couple of decades ( I think) and only ole Vinny Testaverde did good! Mark Sanchez obviously had a positive W/L record but those Jets teams were heavy on the defensive side, Mark was mainly there for a ride.  

The Jets list of QBs

All that goes away if they hit on this one.

6 minutes ago, wilco said:

The Jets list of QBs

Geno Smith?! I didn't know he was in the league anymore. Now, if they got Sewell and added him to that OL, maybe Flacco could carry them along a year or so,  but I just don't see the passing on a QB. 

Of course, trading away your QB and then not taking a replacement would be a very Jets thing to do. 😄

There are teams that are futile, and teams that hang around the middle, and then there are teams like the Jets. Their all time leading passer left the team in 1976. Their #2 all time leading passer left in 1992. At #3 is some guy named Richard Todd.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyj/career-passing.htm

Whomever they pick can only be better, right?

28 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Geno Smith?! I didn't know he was in the league anymore. Now, if they got Sewell and added him to that OL, maybe Flacco could carry them along a year or so,  but I just don't see the passing on a QB. 

Of course, trading away your QB and then not taking a replacement would be a very Jets thing to do. 😄

Smith's not on a team, but I don't think he's officially retired. He's been on 4 teams in the last 4 seasons, so not a great sign. I always wondered if he could have had a decent career had he started out on a different team.