Peter King article today......Falcon mentions

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

As for the teams with decisions to make between now and training camp:

Atlanta has the fourth pick in the draft, with Matt Ryan slated to play his 14th season this year at 36. Three years left on his contract—or two years plus a $15.6-million cap hit if the team cuts him after 2022. Ryan told me two years ago he wanted to play into his forties. Question for new Falcons hierarchy (GM Terry Fontenot, coach Arthur Smith): Do you believe Ryan can take you to a Super Bowl? If so, you trade down from the fourth pick in the first round or sit at four and take the best player in the draft who’s not a quarterback. If you don’t believe it, you take the best quarterback available this year—because it may be years before you have a top-five pick in a quarterback-heavy draft again.

Decision 16: Falcons. Do they commit to Ryan or do they draft his successor? 

5. THE FALCONS. The top of the draft, one through three, goes QB, QB, QB. Now Atlanta. I don’t know what the Falcons will do. But I do feel strongly about three things:

• They will not force a quarterback. Lots of people around the league feel they’ll just sit and take Florida tight end Kyle Pitts. That could be pre-draft logical thinking without any real knowledge. The Falcons know they have a perfectly fine quarterback in Matt Ryan (at $23 million, $23.75 million and $28 million owed in cash over the next three years), entering his age-36 year, figuring he’s got several seasons of above-average play left. When I say they won’t force a quarterback, I mean that GM Terry Fontenot and coach Arthur Smith share this view: They’re not going to enter this draft thinking, “This might be the last year for a while that we’ll be in position to take a good quarterback prospect, so let’s grab one now.” No. They’ll take a quarterback if they love one. Like, really love one. They understand that forcing a quarterback could lead to misery.

• They would love a trade that enriches them. I doubt they’ll find one. But for two future first-round picks, they’d be compelled to take the long view. I don’t see that happening. I love Peter Schrager, and he had the Patriots trading up from 15 to four to take a quarterback in his Friday mock; I can see the Patriots trading up to pick a passer, but I can’t see them denuding two drafts to do so. But that’s what makes this fun. Schrager will be Nostradraftus if it happens. Also don’t see the Bears, in desperationville, doing it.

• If there’s a transcendent player they love, like Florida TE Kyle Pitts, they’ll take him. Do the Falcons truly NEED a quarterback? No. They’ve got a good one for, say, the next four years. It will take a new contract to keep him for that long, and that’s slightly problematic. But they must be thinking right now: Other than Tampa Bay, there’s a void atop this division right now, and we can be a playoff team in 2021 with Julio Jones (32), Calvin Ridley (26), Russell Gage (25) and Hayden Hurst (27) at key targets by simply adding the best tight end prospect in years (decades?) in Pitts. Best tight end in the 43-year history of Mel Kiper grading drafts. Tough to turn that down, even if the Falcons have many other needs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My preference: 1. Trade Down 2. Take Pitts 3. Take a QB What I think is most likely: 1. Take Pitts 2. Trade Down 3. Take a QB

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/11/20-qb-decisions-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/   As for the teams with decisions to make between now and training camp: Atlanta has the four

frankly I love the language that says "Falcons won't force a QB" - I don't want them to force it.   Drafting a QB in 2021 is the epitomy (if done) of not forcing it.   We watched for years when we kne

The Patriots have enough picks to offer this year that they wouldn't also need to give us a first next year to make it worth our while. They could offer us second and third round picks this year and next year to move down, and we'd be putting ourselves in the right area of the draft to address our needs on the offensive line. Or just a second next year and a fourth or two fourths this year.

6 minutes ago, Serge said:

The Patriots have enough picks to offer this year that they wouldn't also need to give us a first next year to make it worth our while. They could offer us second and third round picks this year and next year to move down, and we'd be putting ourselves in the right area of the draft to address our needs on the offensive line. Or just a second next year and a fourth or two fourths this year.

we not doing a trade unless we get atleast a future 1 and another future pick... If we cant get what the Dolphins got or atleast close *** ****... We are not doing a trade

frankly I love the language that says "Falcons won't force a QB" - I don't want them to force it.   Drafting a QB in 2021 is the epitomy (if done) of not forcing it.   We watched for years when we knew the exact position TD would take for the very reason that it was our biggest need and the pick was forced.

If Falcons DO take a QB, I truly believe it will be, as PK puts it here because Fontenot/Smith "Love One".

Otherwise, take Pitts or trade down.

I didn't understand the idea that Fontenot was definitely thinking we'll never have another season where we could take a quarterback high in the draft. We're picking fourth this year and that's for a team with a quarterback that started 16 games and threw for 4,500 yards. Fontenot hasn't been able to do hardly anything with the roster aside from restructuring contracts so that the four-win team can get under the salary cap. I mean it'd be great if nothing bad ever happened again, but under the current circumstances, he can't really even start to rebuild because of the cap situation he's been left with. He's not restricted to looking for individual players because only a very good and complete draft class could even make this roster relatively whole going into next season.

6 minutes ago, Serge said:

I don't understand the idea that Fontenot's definitely really and truly thinking we'll never have another season where we could take a quarterback high in the draft. We're picking fourth this year and that's for a team with a quarterback that started 16 games and threw for 4,500 yards. Fontenot hasn't been able to do hardly anything with the roster aside from restructuring contracts so that the four-win team can get under the salary cap. I mean it'd be great if nothing bad ever happened again, but under the current circumstances, he can't really even start to rebuild because of the cap situation he's been left with. He's not restricted to looking for individual players because only a very good and complete draft class could even make this roster relatively whole going into next season.

The article said AS and TF are not thinking that.

12 minutes ago, Herr Doktor said:

I never once bought into trading up for Mac Jones when since the middle of last year he was basically QB 4 or 5.  I think he goes first round, but not at three.  

This may sound mad, but really, do we know for 💯 that Jax is taking Lawrence?

Haha yeah, I think they've actually come out and said it. But honestly, I don't have a strong feeling he'll be the best QB in this draft (Lawrence). I don't think he'll be bad in any sense of the imagination, but when I was watching highlight vids of other players, mostly DT and DEs, going against him, he wasn't throwing into tight windows, looked pretty awful on some plays, and I am starting to wonder if he is extremely overhyped. 

6 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Haha yeah, I think they've actually come out and said it. But honestly, I don't have a strong feeling he'll be the best QB in this draft (Lawrence). I don't think he'll be bad in any sense of the imagination, but when I was watching highlight vids of other players, mostly DT and DEs, going against him, he wasn't throwing into tight windows, looked pretty awful on some plays, and I am starting to wonder if he is extremely overhyped. 

That's my gut feeling.

51 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Can't. Go. Wrong.

I'm okay with almost anything that we do. Still thinking that this draft will work well for teams with extra picks between 10-100. We can probably rebuild our defense with five picks in that range. Might not get studs but with good drafting, we could get solid starters (instant and developmental).

9 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Mel Kiper? Gross.

I still think the Niners take Mac Jones. He is ready to jump right into the Shanahan system and lil Kyle needs a winning season like yesterday.

I think your right but old **** head KS won’t be out of a job for long. Just proves the value of QB in the NFL.  He better get one or he’s going to be on the next train out of SF. 

14 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm okay with almost anything that we do. Still thinking that this draft will work well for teams with extra picks between 10-100. We can probably rebuild our defense with five picks in that range. Might not get studs but with good drafting, we could get solid starters (instant and developmental).

Agree. There are a stack of defensive guys in that range that would help us. If we had extra picks ~ along with picking at the top of every round ~ would put AS and TF in position to get just about everybody they have on their A list. However way they go, I believe this draft is going to turn out excellent for us.