Why Post June 1st Trades Don’t Happen

I’ve seen a ton of people quoting how we could move on from Matt using a post June 1st trade next year.  I think there are some confusions on how this works so I wanted to take a second to explain it for those that don’t know.  Not trying to be arrogant or cocky, I’ve explained it in some threads but we know how those can get lost.  Just trying to help.

A post June 1st cut or trade act very similar when it comes to how it splits the cap hit over the following two years.  What is different is that you can cut someone in March and designate it as a post June 1st cut.  This allows them to sign with other teams.  Trades do not work this way, you cannot trade someone early and designate it after June 1st.  A post June 1st trade has to physically happen after June 1st.  Because of this it makes them happen very rarely for many reasons, but two reasons it will not happen for Ryan.

1) If we were to trade him, the main reason would be for cap relief, we can all agree there.  You need to be under the salary cap at the beginning of the new league year in March.  If you can’t trade him until June, that cap hit sits there until June.  So we would have to be under the cap including his 49mil cap hit three months prior to getting the relief, so once we trade him we would just have free cap space and no one to sign since free agency has long dried up.  This same logic applies to post June 1st cut, you don’t get the relief until June 1st.  So to me, neither are very likely.

2) By June, starting rosters are mostly set.  Free agency has passed, the Draft is over.  Teams aren’t going to wait around hoping they can trade a future draft pick for a QB in June.  Teams also likely aren’t going to hold on to a ton of cap space hoping that happens either.  So the only scenario this would happen would be if a team had a QB, he got injured in camp, that QB was not their long term guy and they had cap space to take on a contract.  

I understand it’s an option they show you on overthecap and sportrac, but that doesn’t mean it is a realistic option for us.  Hope this helps clear up some confusion.

I agree. For us, we'd have to first draft a franchise QB, and then in all likelihood another team's starting QB would have to go down, AND they'd have to probably trade players and boatloads of future draft picks to make it worth our while.

And, it would probably have to be a fit for MR. I'm not sure if MR has any kind of no trade clauses, but I'm pretty positive the FO and AB wouldn't ship him off to say Cinci, or the Jets or any place he didn't agree to go. Regardless of his contract, I don't even think TF would do something like that (he has talked several times about it being a people business, etc.).

I don't think anyone is expecting a post June 1 cut/trade in the next year or two.

10 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I don't think anyone is expecting a post June 1 cut/trade in the next year or two.

Judging by posts here and a ton on Twitter/Facebook, I think a lot think it’s a possibility.  I also think Ryan had a lot left in the tank, but these were two why it doesn’t make sense regardless of what you think of him as a player, financially it doesn’t make as much sense as some think it does.

14 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

I agree. For us, we'd have to first draft a franchise QB, and then in all likelihood another team's starting QB would have to go down, AND they'd have to probably trade players and boatloads of future draft picks to make it worth our while.

And, it would probably have to be a fit for MR. I'm not sure if MR has any kind of no trade clauses, but I'm pretty positive the FO and AB wouldn't ship him off to say Cinci, or the Jets or any place he didn't agree to go. Regardless of his contract, I don't even think TF would do something like that (he has talked several times about it being a people business, etc.).

Spot on....that’s why there’s so much BS to thinking we take a QB at 4 this yr and get rid of MR before 2023. Idk maybe TF has some kind of magical secret plan that’s no one has thought of. I just don’t see it as much as I’d love to have Fields or Lance

1 minute ago, Rings said:

Judging by posts here and a ton on Twitter/Facebook, I think a lot think it’s a possibility.  I also think Ryan had a lot left in the tank, but these were two why it doesn’t make sense regardless of what you think of him as a player, financially it doesn’t make as much sense as some think it does.

Yeah I'm seeing a few who seem to think so now that I'm looking. I think MR is our starter for a hot minute even if we draft someone like Fields at 4. I don't know that we won't draft one, but it won't be more than a play here and there if any, unless MR gets injured. That would be the more likely scenario even though he's only missed like 3 games in his whole career. That likelihood is rising with each successive year.

1 minute ago, Atl Falcon said:

Spot on....that’s why there’s so much BS to thinking we take a QB at 4 this yr and get rid of MR before 2023. Idk maybe TF has some kind of magical secret plan that’s no one has thought of. I just don’t see it as much as I’d love to have Fields or Lance

I'm not sold on Lance yet, but I'm with you on Fields. Just letting the FO do what they do. 

Generally very true. The only reason this team would do it this year with Matt is if they’ve decided they simply don’t care if they’re competitive in 21 and likely 22, maybe 23. Then all they need is a partner who wants him.

Of course, the receiving team isn’t getting mauled like we would be with that cap number. They’re just giving up future draft picks. The cap hit for them wouldn’t be bad. 

If this team decides it is starting a total rebuild by drafting a guy at 4, then the makeup of the roster can be league minimum guys to make that happen. Who cares? We aren’t winning regardless. That’s the price for using 4 overall on magic beans. 

Obviously, it’s not what I want, but I’ve long maintained that the day this team drafts a QB top 5, the nuclear option has to follow. Otherwise, they’ve added a massive amount to an already big cap number at QB for someone who won’t contribute at all.