Possible out on Matt Contract *IF* we go QB

Let’s say we draft a QB at 4. Matt starts this year stay healthy. Throw 4400 25 touchdowns. We play the Rookie in special packages and mop duty. 

After the season the front office say hey we love Matt but it’s time to move in another direction. We are willing to trade you to a good team so that you can chase a ring. 

Wouldn’t it  be in Matt’s best interest to rework his deal in 2022 so that he is tradable?

It’s 2023 with 15 M dead money or 40 M dead money in 2022. 
Matt Ryan salary for the team trading is a Jackpot. Ryan’s cap hit for team trading him will be 23-25 M. But the biggest losers are falcons. 
If they wanted out of Matt’s Contract, restructuring was the dumbest move.

8 minutes ago, Bobby Biskie said:

So there is no way to renegotiate a new deal in leu of a trade? Keep the money guaranteed spread it out a year or two

Any new deal he would sign would have to guarantee him even more money. He's already guaranteed what he is getting; he has no motivation to work longer to get the same amount.

Also, if he just plays out his contract, he can decide to go anywhere he wants as opposed to being traded wherever.

32 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

It’s 2023 with 15 M dead money or 40 M dead money in 2022. 
Matt Ryan salary for the team trading is a Jackpot. Ryan’s cap hit for team trading him will 23-25 M. But the biggest losers are falcons. 
If they wanted out of Matt’s Contract, restructuring was the dumbest move.

And they’re playing dumb trying to make teams think they’ll take a QB at 4. The MR restructure tells the whole story and shows all their cards even tho they don’t want it to. I’m not convinced it was the right move but only time will tell.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Biskie said:

So there is no way to renegotiate a new deal in leu of a trade? Keep the money guaranteed spread it out a year or two

One way to mitigate the cap damage is to trade Ryan for good players that have favorable contracts and that cover roster needs.  In that manner, the Falcons are able to absorb the cap hit that the trade will create, but still field a team. 

The likelihood of that sort of trade materializing is very low......way too many moving parts.  

51 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

Only way he is moved is in a Post June 1st trade next offseason. 

Other than that the Dead cap penalty would be monstrous. 

Most likely bet is he is in Atlanta until the 2023 offseason. 

Post June 1st cut maybe (doubt it), Post June 1st trade does us no good next year as we would have to be under the salary cap in March and you don’t get the salary cap relief until June.  Also won’t find a trade partner in June since free agency/draft already happened and roster is set.  Post June 1st trade is the least likely scenario and people reference it the most for some reason.

1 minute ago, Rings said:

Post June 1st cut maybe (doubt it), Post June 1st trade does us no good next year as we would have to be under the salary cap in March and you don’t get the salary cap relief until June.  Also won’t find a trade partner in June since free agency/draft already happened and roster is set.  Post June 1st trade is the least likely scenario and people reference it the most for some reason.

Fail to study the legions of data on line.

Just now, Rings said:

I am simply saying in terms of limiting dead cap that is the only option other than riding out with him on the roster until the 2023 offseason.

We are not cutting Ryan unless his skills greatly diminish in the near future. When you see QBs like Sam Darnold getting teams 3 picks, You can only wonder what Ryan brings. If/when he is moved, We will get something for him. 

It may not be likely but a team can miss on getting a QB and next thing you know they are in the QB market post draft. Tell me Chicago is not a SB contender with Ryan on the roster. Maybe a team like that strikes out this draft and next.. Then you have a suitor. 

11 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

I am simply saying in terms of limiting dead cap that is the only option other than riding out with him on the roster until the 2023 offseason.

We are not cutting Ryan unless his skills greatly diminish in the near future. When you see QBs like Sam Darnold getting teams 3 picks, You can only wonder what Ryan brings. If/when he is moved, We will get something for him. 

It may not be likely but a team can miss on getting a QB and next thing you know they are in the QB market post draft. Tell me Chicago is not a SB contender with Ryan on the roster. Maybe a team like that strikes out this draft and next.. Then you have a suitor. 

I made a new topic explaining it more in depth.  It’s not a shot at you man, sorry if it came off that way, a lot of media sites use that as the example too but there are reasons I don’t think either happen.

1 hour ago, Bobby Biskie said:

Let’s say we draft a QB at 4. Matt starts this year stay healthy. Throw 4400 25 touchdowns. We play the Rookie in special packages and mop duty. 

After the season the front office say hey we love Matt but it’s time to move in another direction. We are willing to trade you to a good team so that you can chase a ring. 

Wouldn’t it  be in Matt’s best interest to rework his deal in 2022 so that he is tradable?

2023. He has about the same cap hit and dead money in 2022. He's not going anywhere any time soon. It won't be after this season.

Ryan is due a 7.5M bonus at the start of the new league year. They aren’t going to pay him that, then trade/cut him, so post 6/1 is unlikely.

now if they can cut him before that bonus, but still designate him as post 6/1, maybe...but not sure that will work. In that interview w the cap guy, he never mentioned that, so I assume it isn’t an option.

3 hours ago, Bobby Biskie said:

The actual cash (real money that year) is not the problem... Teams would like his contract the problem  is that we have restructured his deal so much (prorated bonus his money to extend it over the contract so we can gain cap space for each year) that if we ever trade him we would take that cap hit that year (2022 the year you are taking about)  ...

You cant rework that... If you trade him you have to take that hit

If you think matt is your guy you can water down that bonus money by extending Matts contract

To me this was the year if you decided to move on from Matt.... Not restructuring Matt....Trade him.. Take that big cap hit but you probably could have got the 12th pick and a mid round pick from the 49ers so you would have gotten 2 good prospects.... Draft your QB with the 4th pick letting this year be rough cap wise but next year would have been your true new start.

So, I've been thinking about what Brees did for the Saints, and I think it would work for a trade scenario as well...maybe some of you cap experts can weigh in...

IS IT POSSIBLE to renegotiate a contract to convert DEAD MONEY into CURRENT SALARY?

Let's say, for instance, you have an interested team with a lot of current cap space. Let's say Ryan's salary is 12 Mil and dead cap hit is 20Mil...Could you take 20 Mil of Dead Cap money and convert it into salary, making his salary 32Mil and negating 20Mil in dead hit?  It works for Ryan because he obviously then gets a huge pay raise; and it works for the team in lowering his dead cap hit for a trade. The team trading FOR him would have to have the cap space for 32Mil (which would obviously have to be fully guaranteed for Ryan to accept the deal)...

Just a thought...

46 minutes ago, atljbo said:

The actual cash (real money that year) is not the problem... Teams would like his contract the problem  is that we have restructured his deal so much (prorated bonus his money to extend it over the contract so we can gain cap space for each year) that if we ever trade him we would take that cap hit that year (2022 the year you are taking about)  ...

You cant rework that... If you trade him you have to take that hit

If you think matt is your guy you can water down that bonus money by extending Matts contract

To me this was the year if you decided to move on from Matt.... Not restructuring Matt....Trade him.. Take that big cap hit but you probably could have got the 12th pick and a mid round pick from the 49ers so you would have gotten 2 good prospects.... Draft your QB with the 4th pick letting this year be rough cap wise but next year would have been your true new start.

I agree except for the last paragraph.  If you took that hit this year, we could not sign those players.