What. A. Stat. But sure, draft a QB...

7 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

And we don’t have **** to show for it, but keep posting stats without context 

pick a year, any of 'em. 

now realize, there are 30 other teams besides us that didn't win a ring. 

Matt's NOT the problem, no matter how much you dislike him. pitiful coaching, defense and special teams ALL play their particular parts, but nah, you don't wanna hear (or read) actual facts

1 hour ago, MattM12 said:

Most completions since...

2012: Matt Ryan

2013: Matt Ryan

2014: Matt Ryan

2015: Matt Ryan

2016: Matt Ryan

2017: Matt Ryan

2018: Matt Ryan

2019: Matt Ryan

2020: Matt Ryan

Stat via CBS twitter

After pondering that, it's important to note the attempts, of course:

Most Attempts:

2012: Mathew Stafford

2013: Peyton Manning

2014: Drew Brees

2015: Phillip Rivers

2016: Drew Brees

2017: Tom Brady

2018: Ben Roethlisberger

2019: Jared Goff

I stand by my opinion. Trade back with Denver & build the man a gahd dayum DEFENSE. Maybe give the dude an RB in the 2nd, too.

Get f****g set, or get off his field.

matt-ryan-get-the-fuck-off-my-field-gif.

But but no rings.. 

1 hour ago, MattM12 said:

Most completions since...

2012: Matt Ryan

2013: Matt Ryan

2014: Matt Ryan

2015: Matt Ryan

2016: Matt Ryan

2017: Matt Ryan

2018: Matt Ryan

2019: Matt Ryan

Stat via CBS twitter

After pondering that, it's important to note the attempts, of course:

Most Attempts:

2012: Mathew Stafford

2013: Peyton Manning

2014: Drew Brees

2015: Phillip Rivers

2016: Drew Brees

2017: Tom Brady

2018: Ben Roethlisberger

2019: Jared Goff

I stand by my opinion. Trade back with Denver & build the man a gahd dayum DEFENSE. Maybe give the dude an RB in the 2nd, too.

Get f****g set, or get off his field.

matt-ryan-get-the-fuck-off-my-field-gif.

1) I am a Matt Ryan supporter, have been since 2008 after I was a hardcore Vick fan.

2) Merely looking at a QB's # of completions does not tell the whole story 

3) The decision to draft a QB at 4 would not be about replacing Matt Ryan because of ineffective play.  The decision would be based on the fact that Matt is 36 and our new coach and GM plan on being here in ATL for longer than the 2-3 years that Matt likely has to play at a high level.  If the new braintrusts loves one of these QBs, then it is in their best long-term interests to take the guy.  Note that teams scout prospects in this draft against likely prospects in subsequent draft classes (22' and 23')  as part of their evaluations.

4) Do not assume that there is a deal to be made with every team rumored to have inquired about our pick.  Most GM's are calling around to get the asking price for certain picks as part of their planning.  TD did this every year, so that was part of why we were rumored to be a team looking to trade up just about every year.

2 minutes ago, Al Bruce said:

1) I am a Matt Ryan supporter, have been since 2008 after I was a hardcore Vick fan.

3) The decision to draft a QB at 4 would not be about replacing Matt Ryan because of ineffective play.  The decision would be based on the fact that Matt is 36 and our new coach and GM plan on being here in ATL for longer than the 2-3 years that Matt likely has to play at a high level.  If the new braintrusts loves one of these QBs, then it is in their best long-term interests to take the guy.  Note that teams scout prospects in this draft against likely prospects in subsequent draft classes (22' and 23')  as part of their evaluations.

4) Do not assume that there is a deal to be made with every team rumored to have inquired about our pick.  Most GM's are calling around to get the asking price for certain picks as part of their planning.  TD did this every year, so that was part of why we were rumored to be a team looking to trade up just about every year.

GM and HC may not be here for 2-3 years if they don’t win. The focus should be on winning. I will be ok with what ever they do to win. If they can’t win, they are out in 2-3 years. 

These aren’t good metrics as to measure how well a player is playing. It leaves a lot up to interpretation as well as can be misleading when not looking at the corresponding stats like completion percentage, QBR, TD/Int ratio, etc.; not to mention that age has been a factor as to why many posters on these boards want to draft a QB (or are at least open to the possibility). Also, not all completions are created equal. 

Point of all this is that when you show arbitrary stats with no corresponding data points, you leave yourself open to scrutiny as painting a false narrative. 

5 hours ago, Al Bruce said:

Agreed. Matt will need to be replaced eventually. It's just the inevitable. Going all in on winning in the next two years is how you end up stunting the growth of your team in the future. The Falcons will exist after Matt retires and it makes sense to start planning for that moment when we're in good position to do so. 

22 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

If we had anything resembling an actual defense in a few of those years Ryan would have at minimum 2 rings.

👆

It's like some don't read. Get the man a D# and an RB. Both have barely been serviceable outside in Matt's tenure. It's a team sport, 52 other men suit up every Sunday. 

If the TD era was kicked off (and sustained) my picking Matt at 3, it came crashing down due to his inability to draft/sign a D#.

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD
Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady (Deion Branch), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger (Hines Ward), 0 TDs
Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger (Santonio Holmes), 1 TD
Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning (MVP), 1 TD
Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs
Super Bowl 48: Russell Wilson (Malcolm Smith), 2TDs
Super Bowl 49: Tom Brady (MVP), 4TDs
Super Bowl 50: Peyton Manning (Von Miller), 0TDs
Super Bowl 51: Tom Brady (MVP), 2TDs
Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs
Super Bowl 53: Tom Brady (Julian Edelman), 0TDs
Super Bowl 54: Patrick Mahomes (MVP), 2 TDs
Super Bowl 55: Tom Brady (MVP), 3 TDs

The last 20 years of SB winning QBs.

Tell me #2 doesn't win if he replaced 50% + of them. 

9 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

These aren’t good metrics as to measure how well a player is playing. It leaves a lot up to interpretation as well as can be misleading when not looking at the corresponding stats like completion percentage, QBR, TD/Int ratio, etc.; not to mention that age has been a factor as to why many posters on these boards want to draft a QB (or are at least open to the possibility). Also, not all completions are created equal. 

Point of all this is that when you show arbitrary stats with no corresponding data points, you leave yourself open to scrutiny as painting a false narrative. 

I'm happy to take the scrutiny, to be honest. If the stat (as arbitrary as it may be) highlights just one thing: Matt Ryan is not and has never been the problem with this team, then I'm cool with it.

I'm not saying he's the best QB in the league and I'm not trying to skew statistical information, it's just one heckuva stat that I saw, so I shared it.

The man has more than done his part and continues to do so. I'm not entirely sure that narrative is false? There is logic to drafting the future, for sure. If I was painting any narratives, I would be painting the 'fix the Defense and the running game' ones. Not 'Ryan is a god'.

The above stats you have mentioned are of course, valid... They also paint a pretty Ryan-based picture if you check them.

6 hours ago, Al Bruce said:

Well, to be fair it is number of completions and number of attempts. Led the NFL in completions last 9 years despite only leading the league in attempts 1 of those years. Merely 1 of many stats that say he can play.

the thing nobody knows, yet assumes is Ryan can only play well for 2 more years, despite Brees and Brady playing much longer. (Not saying he is as good as they were before anyone makes that rebuttal), but he is just as durable and keeps himself in great shape. If he played at this level until 40-43 that’s well more than 2 years, though his contract is up in 3, and that’s likely the tipping point (unless he is playing great when it expires and they add years to spread out upcoming hits)

17 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Well, to be fair it is number of completions and number of attempts. Led the NFL in completions last 9 years despite only leading the league in attempts 1 of those years. Merely 1 of many stats that say he can play.

the thing nobody knows, yet assumes is Ryan can only play well for 2 more years, despite Brees and Brady playing much longer. (Not saying he is as good as they were before anyone makes that rebuttal), but he is just as durable and keeps himself in great shape. If he played at this level until 40-43 that’s well more than 2 years, though his contract is up in 3, and that’s likely the tipping point (unless he is playing great when it expires and they add years to spread out upcoming hits)

I think we're underselling what outliers guys like Brady and Brees are. It's rare for a QB to play at a high level at and over age 40. https://www.nfl.com/photos/records-for-starting-quarterbacks-over-40-0ap3000000941792

The aints last season should be a cautionary tale. No one went into this past season thinking Brees would drop off. Then it happened and now they're turning over the keys to a guy who threw 30 ints. I'm not saying I'm all in on drafting a QB but I'd understand the move as planning for the future. Having a guy sit doesn't bother me if you trust your scouting and think he'll be a 10-15 year player once he sees the field. 

Don't some of you get.....?  Replacing a very successful QB will automaticly make the defense a top 5 dominate defense...special teams improve with 30+ kick returns...staring at an onside kick as it goes pass 10 yards no longer happens...I mean get with it people. It's like no one knows NFL football anymore.  Oh and unless I forget...blowing 20+ point leads in the 2nd half never ever happens again and again and again..........

9 hours ago, papachaz said:

pick a year, any of 'em. 

now realize, there are 30 other teams besides us that didn't win a ring. 

Matt's NOT the problem, no matter how much you dislike him. pitiful coaching, defense and special teams ALL play their particular parts, but nah, you don't wanna hear (or read) actual facts

^ Booyah.  

A running game and decent defense this guy has multiple rings. 

1 hour ago, 804_Falconfan said:

I think we're underselling what outliers guys like Brady and Brees are. It's rare for a QB to play at a high level at and over age 40. https://www.nfl.com/photos/records-for-starting-quarterbacks-over-40-0ap3000000941792

The reason Brees and Brady were such outliers has more to do with them being highly successful, established  QBs during a period when the rules have changed to protect the QB at all costs.

So they have ability to remain healthy and remain successful was what made them outliers and kept them in their job.  

Last season, Phillip Rivers and Roethlisberger were 38, Fitzpatrick was 37, Alex Smith and Aaron Rogers were 36.  Last year there were 7 starting QBs older than Ryan (thats a quarter of the league).  QBs who are able to stay healthy and stay with their teams appear to create a new norm. The real mistake may be getting rid of them too soon (good morning New England).

2 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

MR2 has been an iron man.  I like his odds.